PDA

View Full Version : Female Home Inspector Robbed On The Job In Florida

Bruce Breedlove
08-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Woman: Thief Punched Ring Out Of My Mouth (http://www.local6.com/news/17109716/detail.html)

August 6, 2008

PALM BAY, Fla. -- Palm Bay police are investigating an incident in which a woman said she was trying to swallow her wedding ring to keep it from robbers, who punched her in the mouth before stealing it.

The woman, who works as a private home inspector, said she was robbed while inspecting a home about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday in the 300 block of Paquita Circle, reports show.

The unidentified woman told police she was at the home, located in a new subdivision just south of Malabar Road, when two men approached her and demanded her jewelry.

The woman attempted to swallow her wedding band to keep it away from the thieves when one of the men punched her in the face and took the ring, police said.

. . .

Rick Hurst
08-07-2008, 09:26 PM
This is why I tell my wife I don't wear the band. :D

rick

Jim Luttrall
08-08-2008, 07:42 AM
I never have worn my wedding ring after hearing all the horror stories about jewelry and electrical/mechanical devices while I was in A/C school.
That is a tough way to loose a wedding band.
I'll echo the sentiments about the other thread on thieves.
"I hope they catch the rat bastards and xxx them"
xxx= fry:mad:

Jerry Peck
08-08-2008, 07:48 AM
I don't know who it is, but it is not the two female inspectors I know in that area. I just called one, and she has already talked to the other one, and another female inspector who goes there.

So that takes three of them out of the picture. Glad it's not any of them.

Marshall Brenner
08-08-2008, 08:07 AM
I do believe that this is a big reason why the female inspector I know carries a .45 on the job.

Brian Thomas
08-08-2008, 08:17 AM
I do believe that this is a big reason why the female inspector I know carries a .45 on the job.

I understand the need to carry a .45 if youre a repo man(woman), but not a home inspector

Ron Bibler
08-08-2008, 08:26 AM
I got wind of an inspector that was up in the attic of a home in LA and some Dudes took away his ladder and would not let him down for some time.

Thats a cold thing to do to a Dude.

2 Many Dudes Dude ?

Dude.

Best

Ron

Jerry Peck
08-08-2008, 08:59 AM
I got wind of an inspector that was up in the attic of a home in LA and some Dudes took away his ladder and would not let him down for some time.

I know an inspector who was on a commercial building roof and someone stole his ladder (in Miami, probably sold it for $5 as scrap), leaving him stranded where he had to call for help on his cell phone.

That's why I always (on commercial buildings) took a rope up with me. I tied it to the ladder and to a strong anchoring point on the roof. One day while on a two story commercial roof I heard my ladder moving around and looked up to see it being jerked all over, by the time I got over to that edge of the roof, no one was down there, but I know someone thought they could just take it down and be gone - but I had it tied off on the roof.

Brian Thomas
08-08-2008, 09:03 AM
This is truly a sad day when people will go around stealing ladders from people that are on a roof. You think that we have come so far as a nation but in many cases, it seems like we havent.

Ted Menelly
08-08-2008, 09:16 AM
This is truly a sad day when people will go around stealing ladders from people that are on a roof. You think that we have come so far as a nation but in many cases, it seems like we havent.

I just replaced a ladder recently because someone stole it from in front of the house I was inspecting. Came out to get it to go in the attic, gone.

The ladder I replaced it with was temporarily stolen from in front of a Town Home. Upper class place. I stepped inside and hit the button for the garage door in the rear so when I came around I would just come in there. I was inside for maybe 2 or 3 minutes, gone. I told the builder on the project (building more units) and gave him my card. 2 days later I got a call to pick up my ladder. I had tucked it into an alcove and one could barely see it.

Marshall Brenner
08-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I understand the need to carry a .45 if youre a repo man(woman), but not a home inspector

Really? Read the article again. What if they had been after more then her jewelry? What if she had come upon construction-site thieves?

I'll bet she never thought she would have this happen to her, either.

And the female real estate agents who get attacked showing a home?

Wasn't there an article in the FABI newsletter about someone being in a not-so-safe place? Jerry? Did you see it?

Never know who is out and about.

Luckily, I've never had my ladder stolen, but I watch my back on site (when I am alone).

Rick Hurst
08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
In our area, we had a lady who was a salesperson for a homebuilder brutally murdered in a model home a couple years ago.

Those people sit in those home all days with total strangers walking in supposedly looking around. Easy targets. If I was them, I'd be packing.

Many of the realtors here will not show houses to anyone unless they come by their office and leave a photo id so they know who that agent is out there with. Many will not just show up at a home and meet the buyer.

rick

Jerry Peck
08-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Wasn't there an article in the FABI newsletter about someone being in a not-so-safe place? Jerry? Did you see it?

Yes, I read it.

Whenever you go out into 'abandoned areas', like some construction sites are these days, you have to be extra careful, and going out with a 'helper' makes it better for you in that sense.

If you carry a gun, and you pull it, you need to be ready, willing, and able *to shoot to kill*.

If you are not, once you've pulled your gun, *they will will be ready, willing, and able to shoot to kill*.

Just a word of caution for those who carry but would hesitate to *shoot to kill*.

Jim Zborowski
08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. uh, Rick, is there a reason you resemble tony saprano ????? lol

bruce m graham III
08-09-2008, 09:44 AM
lock and load
CASTLE DOCTRINE AND SELF-DEFENSE (http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0052.htm)

Marshall Brenner
08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Yes, I read it.

Whenever you go out into 'abandoned areas', like some construction sites are these days, you have to be extra careful, and going out with a 'helper' makes it better for you in that sense.

If you carry a gun, and you pull it, you need to be ready, willing, and able *to shoot to kill*.

If you are not, once you've pulled your gun, *they will will be ready, willing, and able to shoot to kill*.

Just a word of caution for those who carry but would hesitate to *shoot to kill*.

Except no one shoots to "Kill". It's shoot to STOP (the threat). No more and no less. Or so I have been told in no uncertain terms. Just a small nit, Jerry. :)

Jim Luttrall
08-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Center mass.

If you have second thoughts about the possibility of killing some one, don't pull a gun.

The purpose of a gun is to kill and being hesitant to use the tool as intended can get the user killed.

Jerry Peck
08-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Except no one shoots to "Kill". It's shoot to STOP (the threat).

And the way you "STOP (the threat)" is to ...

The purpose of a gun is to kill and being hesitant to use the tool as intended can get the user killed.

... otherwise you could be the one with (as you might put it) 'unintended consequences'.

Michael Thomas
08-15-2008, 02:07 PM
It's instructive to look at the numbers: there are likely 1.5-2M defensive gun uses (DGU's) per year,

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense? (http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.html)

but only around 200 dead criminals as a result:

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Justifiable Homicides (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/justify.htm#justifyreason)

so pretty clearly - for better or worse - the vast majority of people who employed a firearm for self defense were very reluctant to employ deadly force except as a last result.

Marshall Brenner
08-16-2008, 05:06 AM
It's instructive to look at the numbers: there are likely 1.5-2M defensive gun uses (DGU's) per year,

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense? (http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.html)

but only around 200 dead criminals as a result:

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Justifiable Homicides (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/justify.htm#justifyreason)

so pretty clearly - for better or worse - the vast majority of people who employed a firearm for self defense were very reluctant to employ deadly force except as a last result.

It's not so clear to me, but it is of course a last resort. No law-abiding citizen wants to kill another human being. More likely, the vast majority of people who pull guns in self-defense solve the problem without having to shoot. Pair that with the fact that the majority of people shot do not die from it.

We all know that the gun is a weapon of war and is meant to kill. But it is also a tool that can be used for good. Go into court and tell the prosecutor that you "shot to kill" and see how it goes for you. If your case is not clear-cut self-defense, you might be labeled a loose cannon--a person who "wanted" to shoot someone. Guilty of excessive force. A murderer.

Even cops don't say that. As inspectors, we choose our words carefully in our reports. This is the same thing.

That's not to say that everyone should have a gun, especially a female. Some women will never come to the decision to carry (and use if necessary) a gun. It doesn't seem to come as easily to women as to men. I think a person has to make a commitment of some sorts--and not everyone can do it. So: don't carry a weapon you can't/won't use. I know I don't.

Didn't mean to get up on my soapbox, fellas. ;)

Elizabeth Chambers
03-17-2018, 01:58 AM
It's not so clear to me, but it is of course a last resort. No law-abiding citizen wants to kill another human being. More likely, the vast majority of people who pull guns in self-defense solve the problem without having to shoot. Pair that with the fact that the majority of people shot do not die from it.

We all know that the gun is a weapon of war and is meant to kill. But it is also a tool that can be used for good. Go into court and tell the prosecutor that you "shot to kill" and see how it goes for you. If your case is not clear-cut self-defense, you might be labeled a loose cannon--a person who "wanted" to shoot someone. Guilty of excessive force. A murderer.

Even cops don't say that. As inspectors, we choose our words carefully in our reports. This is the same thing.

That's not to say that everyone should have a gun, especially a female. Some women will never come to the decision to carry (and use if necessary) a gun. It doesn't seem to come as easily to women as to men. I think a person has to make a commitment of some sorts--and not everyone can do it. So: don't carry a weapon you can't/won't use. I know I don't.

Didn't mean to get up on my soapbox, fellas. ;)

Old, old thread but reading old threads is what I am doing for entertainment tonight.

Marshall, if you are still around here, sir, just what did you mean by your statement that
"not to say eveyone should have a gun, especialy a female"?
I agree that not everyone should have a gun, but what does that have to do with being a female? Are females too emotional to carry a weapon? too ditzy perhaps, too hysterical at times? We too crazy that must be it.
I live in a very rural area where many homes are very secluded and out of the way. Places that may not get a cell phone signal and where houses for sale are mostly unoccupied.
I spoke with my older brother about this exact topic and he insists that I get trained to use and licenced to carry a concealed weapon for self protection while I am inspecting secluded empty houses.

I have shot guns for fun but this would be completely different. I suppose a PERSON, never knows how they will react when in a life or death situation.
I do know this female will not hesitate to shoot and to kill if I feel my life is in danger or there is an imminent threat to my life. Nobody is going to brutally murder me because I will be trained, aware and prepared as much as I can for situations like that.
Just so ya know, I am female. Lol

Gunnar Alquist
03-17-2018, 08:32 AM
Old, old thread but reading old threads is what I am doing for entertainment tonight.

Friday night reading old IN threads? We need to talk. :crazy: :D

Elizabeth Chambers
03-17-2018, 06:50 PM
Friday night reading old IN threads? We need to talk. :crazy: :D

I know right?
Believe it or not Gunnar, I am learning so many things here that textbooks and classrooms just don't teach. I am like a sponge soaking up all I possibly can.

Gunnar Alquist
03-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Elizabeth,

I understand. There is a huge amount of information here. I just hope you are getting past the posts of egos, snarkiness and belligerence (there is a bit of that here as well). :rolleyes: