PDA

View Full Version : Cutting concrete wall

mathew stouffer
08-11-2008, 08:43 PM
What if any are the reprecautions of this half assed attempt to gain access to an area of the crawl space to install a vapor retarder.

mathew stouffer
08-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Photos might help:)

Billy Stephens
08-11-2008, 09:11 PM
What if any are the reprecautions of this half assed attempt to gain access to an area of the crawl space to install a vapor retarder.
Repre- what? :)

Other than ruining a manicure and a Good claw hammer ? ;)

I don't see any repercussions other than the exposed re bar that could rust.

mathew stouffer
08-11-2008, 09:17 PM
It's late and I am currently on a third grade spelling level.

Ron Bibler
08-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Looks like they lost heart in the project. i have cut bigger holes in foundation then that with no problems. but you may want tp make a note about it.

Best

Ron
Life is short have some fun and a good Cigar.

Jerry Peck
08-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Well ... that steel rebar needs to have a specified amount of concrete cover to help protect it from moisture and rusting out, and that's just a 'non-structural' issue.

I suspect that if it had been done properly, it might have been okay. As it is though, there is the potential that the foundation wall as been weakened some (maybe not much).

The only way to answer the question of "weakened some (maybe not much)" is to have a structural engineer "design appropriate repairs", which, yes, includes no repair "if the structural engineer deems no repair is needed". Either way, though, your client ends up with a signed and sealed engineering letter for their records and for when they go to sell.

Jerry Peck
08-12-2008, 07:08 AM
"Life is short have some fun and a good Cigar."

Avoid the cigar and life might no be so short ... and it would be a lot more fun too. :)

Ron Bibler
08-12-2008, 07:37 AM
"Life is short have some fun and a good Cigar."

Avoid the cigar and life might no be so short ... and it would be a lot more fun too. :)

Is that a quote from George Burns?

Best

Ron

Chris Stichter
08-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Andy Dufresne (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000209/): Get busy living, or get busy dying.

wayne soper
08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Now this is a HOLE. And? HEHEEHAW