PDA

View Full Version : Exposed nails on ridge shingles

mathew stouffer
08-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Does face nailing shingles along the ridge void the manufactures warranty? I have had roofers tell me any exposed nails in the valley will void the warranty so is this the same case.

Bruce Breedlove
08-11-2008, 09:32 PM
It is called "storm nailing" here and is used to protect the shingles from our high winds. The local building department approves storm nailing. I don't know if it voids the mfg's warranty. I always make note in my report of storm nailing and recommend the nail heads be caulked (if they have not been caulked).

Michael Thomas
08-12-2008, 04:48 AM
AFAIK ""storm nailing" refers to the practice of using 6 nails per shingle along the normal nailing line, not face-nailing them.

Jerry Peck
08-12-2008, 06:58 AM
There should be no exposed nails.

Even when the ridge caps are installed, the last ridge cap is face nailed, however, the nail are supposed to be covered with plastic roof cement and membrane. or even use plastic roof cement and glue a second 'last ridge cap' over the first one - with the first one being nailed down and the second one being glued to the first one. Either method leaves no exposed nails.

Those nails *ARE NOT EVEN DRIVEN IN* to the shingle. That's the shadow of the nail shank and nail head you see next to them.

NO WAY is that allowed.

Kevin Barre
08-12-2008, 05:13 PM
And what's with the ridge cap itself? The shadow lines indicate that those shingles are raised up, and they don't appear to overlap properly. Is there some sort of weird ridge vent under them?