PDA

View Full Version : Inspector Bait I Call It

Rick Hurst
08-13-2008, 06:39 PM
From today..

Brian Thomas
08-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Now you must know how santa claus feels on christmas eve! Except santa is usually not greeted with a benjamin

Kevin Barre
08-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Come on Rick...
Did you really find that?

If so, there's only one word that comes to mind. Unbelievable.

You did have a cookie, right?

Michael Thomas
08-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah.... but did your STAY bought?

Rick Hurst
08-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Yes, it was for real and I don't like chocolate chip cookies.

Didn't touch a thing.

rick

Gunnar Alquist
08-13-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't like chocolate chip cookies.

WHAT??? :eek: Are you some kind of commie or something. Everybody likes chocolate chip cookies.

Brandon Whitmore
08-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I'd have taken the beer and cookies and left a few dollar tip. :D

Rick Hurst
08-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Gunnar,

I'm more into the oatmeal raisin ones or the toffee ones.

rick

Matt Fellman
08-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Lite beer and sugar-free pudding... cheap bastards :)

Brian Thomas
08-14-2008, 04:55 AM
I wonder how long that milk has been sitting out:)

I think its funny that someone did that but I dont understand the point of leaving a 100 dollar bill out on the counter.

Jack Feldmann
08-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Who in their right mind would mix milk and light beer?

Rick Hurst
08-14-2008, 05:25 AM
I think its funny that someone did that but I dont understand the point of leaving a 100 dollar bill out on the counter.

Brian, Guess your new in the home inspection business aren't you?

By the way, the milk was ice cold as it had just been put out on the counter. This home was a FSBO and had some foundation movement and I think the Benjamin was for me to play it down.

If there was a realtor involved, I'd be on the horn with them about it.

My client did come in at the end of this inspection and was in complete shock that someone would do such a thing.

Stranger thing, they still want the house with all the problems. Go figure.

Brian Thomas
08-14-2008, 05:33 AM
Yes rick I am very new to the industry. I guess my newb status was quite evident:p . I figured the money was to try and keep you mum on the deficiencies of the house I just am surprised someone would make it so obvious. Im pretty sure that taking that money would go against any organization's SOP!

Brian Thomas
08-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Oh and rick, since I am new and havent seen much in the way of foundation problems before, what were the problems that you noticed on that house? Was it really obvious that anyone would notice or were the problems a little more subtle than that?

John Ghent
08-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Im pretty sure that taking that money would go against any organization's SOP!

Never mind an organization SOP. How about your personal SOP?

Brian Thomas
08-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Absolutely! That would definitely go against my ethics as well. Never mind the ASHI SOP.

brian schmitt
08-14-2008, 11:07 AM
rick,
it is refreshing to see a man of principles! i would hold out for the rest of the 12 pack minimun!:D

Nolan Kienitz
08-14-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm with Rick ... It's oatmeal & raisin or toffee.

Not a great fan of chocolate chip or chocolate.

As for brew ... Shiner Bock is bottle of choice.

But ... what an obvious setup. That's one for the memory books. ;)

Rick Cantrell
08-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Rick
You complain that someone offers you milk and cookies ( and money too). Would you rather they just threatened to whoop your butt, or sue you for everything you have. Seems like nothing makes you happy.;)

Rick Hurst
08-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Rick C.

If they'd been oatmeal raisin, I'd probably thought about it but those puny little chocolate chip cookies looked like something they'd throw on the table at a daycare center.

The pudding was tempting.

Even this guy would have trouble eating those cookies.

rick h.

imported_John Smith
08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
If all of the above would have been served by a scantily clad young lady...........

imported_John Smith
08-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Rick
That note that says "Help Yourself" looks like one of the ransom notes out of the old cop shows. Maybe a stalker with a thing for home inspectors???

Bud Butczynski
08-14-2008, 06:01 PM
You guys are prudes. These are tough times! I'm taking the picture for proof, pocketing the benny, the Heinies for the ride home, and still busting their nasty-ass foundation.

bruce m graham III
08-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Did you check for hidden cameras, they make them real small now a days.:)

Rick Hurst
08-15-2008, 06:52 AM
Bruce,

You bring up a good point that everyone should keep in mind.

I have seen many of these news reports that they have placed hidden cameras in a home to watch service people while they work and see who snoops in places they should be interested in.

Of all the inspections I've done I have only run across one home that had some hidden video equipment in the attic that was over a bedroom. The guy was some playboy in his own mind I think. :rolleyes: The equipment was covered in dust so I'm pretty sure he had not seen some action in a while. :D

rick

Ted Menelly
08-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Bruce,

You bring up a good point that everyone should keep in mind.

I have seen many of these news reports that they have placed hidden cameras in a home to watch service people while they work and see who snoops in places they should be interested in.

Of all the inspections I've done I have only run across one home that had some hidden video equipment in the attic that was over a bedroom. The guy was some playboy in his own mind I think. :rolleyes: The equipment was covered in dust so I'm pretty sure he had not seen some action in a while. :D

rick

I don't know if you remember a post I had but I got a call from a seller asking me why I looked in all his closets, under his sinks and in his cabinets. He did have cameras in the whole house. Like I had said in my post. I did use the bathroom at that inspection. The guy was a freak. I should have demanded the tape to see if he caught the bathroom seen.

The freak said to me "before you answer I have you on tape". Obviously I was not to nice to the freak. Never heard from him again.

Billy Stephens
08-15-2008, 04:52 PM
It's a Good Thing they did not Use Some Real Bait. :eek:

Jerry Peck
08-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Ted,

You should have nonchalantly said 'Yeah, maybe so, but did the camera catch *which* of the drinking glasses I peed in?'

:eek:

Rick Hurst
08-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Jerry,

Not in the glasses.

Ted Menelly
08-15-2008, 07:48 PM
He was probably pissed cause I saw all the family play things under the bathroom sink. Talk about a freak.