Jeff Eastman
05-07-2007, 01:53 PM

Richard Rushing
05-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I take it... the disconnect is within sight?:D

Rich

Jeff Euriech
05-07-2007, 05:08 PM
2006 IRC E3305.2 Working Clearances Shall not be less than 36" in depth, 30" wide, and shall extent from the floor or platform to a height of 6.5 feet.

Jeff Euriech
Peoria Arizona

Jerry Peck
05-07-2007, 06:52 PM
A/C *DISCONNECT*is located about 3 feet up above the A/C on the house siding. There is 2 feet clearance behind the A/C so I could easily access the box. However, is there any issues with this configuration?
(I added the word *DISCONNECT*.)

As pointed out by others above, there needs to be 36" "in front of" the disconnect, and at least 30" wide, with a proper (30" wide) access path to that working space. Note that the distance "in front of" is 36", not 30". One cannot turn that space to make it fit (which, even at 30", exceeds the 2 feet space you stated was there).

Jeff Euriech
05-08-2007, 08:41 AM
I went to an Arizona Building Officials conference a couple of weeks ago and they said all disconnects should be sealed on three sides. (the top and both sides) The bottom is left open in case water gets behind the disconnect it then has a way to drain out. I asked them if they called it out as a defect and they said "yes".

However, I have never seen it done in the Phoenix area. I guess we just don't get enough rain to worry about those minor things.

When I get a chance, I'll see what I can find in the code book.

Jeff Euriech
Peoria, Arizona

Jerry Peck
05-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Also, are there suppose to be air gaps between the A/C disconnect box and the house siding as there is with the exterior electrical panels/utility meter.

Yes.

For all "metallic" enclosures.

If the enclosure is one of those plastic ones, no need for the air space.

Jerry Peck
05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I went to an Arizona Building Officials conference a couple of weeks ago and they said all disconnects should be sealed on three sides. (the top and both sides) The bottom is left open in case water gets behind the disconnect it then has a way to drain out. I asked them if they called it out as a defect and they said "yes".

And they are wrong. :D

From the NEC. (bold is mine)
- 312.2 Damp, Wet, or Hazardous (Classified) Locations.
- - (A) Damp and Wet Locations. In damp or wet locations, surface-type enclosures within the scope of this article shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture or water from entering and accumulating within the cabinet or cutout box, and shall be mounted so there is at least 6 mm (ΒΌ in.) airspace between the enclosure and the wall or other supporting surface. Enclosures installed in wet locations shall be weatherproof.
- - - Exception: Nonmetallic enclosures shall be permitted to be installed without the airspace on a concrete, masonry, tile, or similar surface.
- - - - FPN: For protection against corrosion, see 300.6.