PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing vent routed over beam in attic.

Eric Shuman
05-07-2007, 06:38 PM
This run of vent goes up and over a beam in the attic. I'm thinking this cannot be right as the vent would no longer slope towards drain per 2000 IRC 3104.2 and maybe other sections as well (IRC 2000 is the year we use in my neck of the woods). Am I correct? There were some really long vent runs in this attic before they went vertical to the roof but this was the goofiest one.

Thanks,

Eric

James Duffin
05-07-2007, 06:54 PM
If that is a plumbing vent system then there are some real problems. It looks more like a central vac piping system...

Eric Shuman
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
James,

Thanks, I now feel about as smart as a rock!! :o

You would think I had never seen a vacuum system before.

The plumbing vents did have some long runs so I thought this was some bonehead's routing of a vent. This house was rural and there were plenty of bonehead issues in many areas that made it clear that it was never inspected by a building official.

Thanks for reminding me to use my common sense!!:D

Eric

James Duffin
05-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Add my head-rock and we now we have a small pile...I'm sure the pile will get bigger from other contributors...:D

Jerry Peck
05-07-2007, 07:33 PM
I'll throw my head rock on the pile too - I'm not sure that a pipe like that is suitable for a central vacuum system either.

Also, that 'tee' fitting looks like a straight 'tee', and central vacuum fittings are kinda-sorta like sanitary tees, directional to an extent (at least if my memory serves me well, it has failed my several times recently).

Tim Moreira
05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I agree with Jerry,

That does not look like a central vacuum system to me.

Admittedly, I have never run across a residential one, but in the hospital I work at at night, we have an abandon central vac system that still has all of the piping in place.

Ours is in metal conduit, but the bends are not *teed* like the photo, but large radius sweeps like sanitary drains.

Maybe that's for the in house irrigation system. :D

Eric Shuman
05-07-2007, 09:50 PM
It may not be piped properly but it is definitly for the cental vacuum system! I am researching the proper tee connections for this type of system now. I hope to post what I find later.

Eric

Bob Harper
05-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Most Central Vacuum System (CVS) piping is 2" O.D. PVC that us labeled ASTM F-2158 for central vacuums. It incorporates swept elbows and tees so the broad radius bends don't clog. Also, the fittings tend to be directional again to minimize lint buildup. Look for low voltage control wires and also grounding wires because dust flying through PVC creates a lot of static electricity.

Another way to tell is to line up the vertical risers in the attic with the terminal locations in the home. They usually run straight up a stud bay to the attic or down into a joist bay to a basement or garage cannister.
HTH

Eric Shuman
05-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks Bob (and all),

What I found with a simple search on google is just what you described - 2 inch pipe and swept tees and elbows.

Eric