PDA

View Full Version : Vapor barrier

mathew stouffer
08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Have you seen this before? It appears condendation has collected on this make shift vapor barrier above the crawl space. I told them the installation was incorrect due to the amount of water in the crawl space during spring. It collects and traps moisture from the crawl space floor. Needless to say their contractor did not agree.

Ron Bibler
08-18-2008, 09:26 PM
If you have a moisture condition then you have a problem. that area needs air and lots of it.

Best

Ron

wayne soper
08-19-2008, 04:32 AM
Those ducts look like solid molded fiberglass type.. Any holes would direct the heat right up under the plastic barrier. A flex duct install may prevent.
Or making the poodle live outside the house

Raymond Wand
08-19-2008, 05:35 AM
Mathew you are correct and the contractor is wrong! The vapour barrier should be above the insulation, not below it. Vapour barrier against warm side.

Scott Patterson
08-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Have you seen this before? It appears condendation has collected on this make shift vapor barrier above the crawl space. I told them the installation was incorrect due to the amount of water in the crawl space during spring. It collects and traps moisture from the crawl space floor. Needless to say their contractor did not agree.

They have made a "green house", in their crawlspace! The plastic goes on the ground.

My bet is that all of that insulation is saturated and it needs to be pulled out to view the sub floor and kill the mold that is most likely growing. If that is paper backed insulation then the paper acts like a vapor barrier and is facing the proper direction.

Jerry Peck
08-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Also don't forget the sewer line is not insulated and is required to be once it is outside the thermal envelope of the house.

The moisture barrier should be above the insulation, as Raymond said.

That said, there should be another vapor barrier covering the ground, as Scott said.

However, the two vapor barriers each serve different purposes.

Presuming, of course, that this is a typical vented crawlspace.