PDA

View Full Version : Fan/light over shower

Tom Edwards
08-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Is it safe or legal to install a fan/light directly over a shower?
I inspected a 50+ year old house today with these installed in two baths.

paul hardy
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
looks like old style broan fan you must look at specs for that fan. here are the specs for the newer type broan fan note it requires gfci protection when over a shower.
Fan/Light
Model QTRE080FLT
NOTE: Specification Sheets and Installation Guides are provided in Adobe Acrobat Reader (.pdf) format. The most recent version of Acrobat Reader is recommended. Click here for a free download.

• Nearly silent operation 0.8 Sones
• 80 CFM
• 4” ducting
• ENERGY STAR® qualified and Title 24 Compliant
• Bright 42W fluorescent lighting – bulb included
• 4W nightlight
(bulb sold separately)
• Motor engineered for continuous operation
• UL Listed for use over tub/shower with GFCI circuit
• Hanger bars for Easy, Fast and Universal installation in all types of construction

Housing Dimension: 10-1/2" x 11-3/8" x 7-5/8"- Fits 2" x 8" construction

Grille Dimension: 12-3/8" x 14"

Available in Project Packs

Energy Efficient solutions in traditional designs. A bath fan needn't call attention to itself, especially when you don't want it to overpower the design of your bath or powder room. More important, it shouldn't call attention to itself on your electric bill. So we developed the QTRE line for energy efficiency in the high-traffic bathroom, and for those who seek a fan with a more traditional design. It simply does its job quietly, in every sense of the word.

Contact your local dealer for pricing information.

Additional Models Available:
QTRE080FLT Fan/Light
QTRE110FLT Fan/Light
QTXE080FLT Fan/Light
QTXE110FLT Fan/Light
QTXE150FLT Fan/Light
QTR080L Fan/Light/Night Light
QTR100L Fan/Light/Night Light

In U.S.A. Call: 1-800-558-1711
In Canada Call: 1-877-896-1119 or
Visit: Broan Canada - (http://www.broan.ca) Privacy
©2002 Broan-NuTone LLC Technical Support: 800-637-1453
Contact Us!

Tom Edwards
08-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks, Paul.
That's good info.

I can add some of this to my report.

Scott Patterson
08-19-2008, 07:19 PM
This might help

Gary Smith
08-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Scott, can you share where this drawing came from? Curious...

gs

Tom Edwards
08-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks, Scott.
I saw this in another thread earlier.
Does that mean that you should never have a fan/light fixture less than 8 feet from the rim of a tub or shower?
I'm looking for a hard rule here.

Scott Patterson
08-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Scott, can you share where this drawing came from? Curious...

gs

I really don't know. Douglas Hansen sent it to me many years back. I'm going to guess that it is from Code Check, but I don't know for sure. I have seen it posted several times over the years on various discussion boards.

Scott Patterson
08-20-2008, 06:35 AM
Thanks, Scott.
I saw this in another thread earlier.
Does that mean that you should never have a fan/light fixture less than 8 feet from the rim of a tub or shower?
I'm looking for a hard rule here.

Yes, that is what it is saying, 8' is the rule. Recessed lights that are designed for wet locations may be allowed by some AHJ's under the 8'. The idea or intent is to have them out of the reach of a normal person.

Tom Edwards
08-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks again for the help, Scott.
NC-ASHI has Doug and Peter Drenan coming to Greensboro in October for CE training again.
Come join us!

Jerry Peck
08-20-2008, 11:04 AM

Yes, that is what it is saying, 8' is the rule.

No, that is not what it is saying.

Notice the note at the "Surface-mounted or recessed luminaire) which states "(acceptable within or above the zone)".

That means that "surface mounted" "or", as in 'and/or', "recessed" - either one ... is allowed "within" that zone, "or", as in 'and/or', "above" that zone.

Here is the 2008 NEC wording on it. (underlining and bold are mine)
- 410.10 Luminaires in Specific Locations.
- - (D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

Rick Cantrell
08-20-2008, 05:00 PM
So, is a globe light fixture on the "yea" or the "nay" list?
How about a dome light?

Jerry Peck
08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
So, is a globe light fixture on the "yea" or the "nay" list?
How about a dome light?

Rick,

If it is not: "cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended" and is not "lighting track," or " pendants," or " ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans ", then it is okay.

That leaves "surface mounted" and "recessed".

You could have a 6" globe in a fitter/base which is "surface mounted" and that would be acceptable. If that same (nearly same) 6" globe where mounted from a track or was 'hanging' by some means (cord/chain/cable/etc.), then ... No, it would not be acceptable.

A "recessed" exhaust fan/light is "recessed" and is acceptable *if* it complies with its own installation instructions, which may allow it if damp location rated, and, as in the case of those allowable exhaust fans, if also GFCI protected.

Tom Edwards
08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Jerry and Scott.
I think I got it.
The code wording and diagram helps a lot.

Scott Patterson
08-20-2008, 06:15 PM
No, that is not what it is saying.

Notice the note at the "Surface-mounted or recessed luminaire) which states "(acceptable within or above the zone)".

That means that "surface mounted" "or", as in 'and/or', "recessed" - either one ... is allowed "within" that zone, "or", as in 'and/or', "above" that zone.

Here is the 2008 NEC wording on it. (underlining and bold are mine)
- 410.10 Luminaires in Specific Locations.
- - (D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

I think that is what I said in my reply. Granted, it was in fewer words.

Jerry Peck
08-20-2008, 08:45 PM

That was his question, and is from what you quoted him as asking.

Yes, that is what it is saying, 8' is the rule.

That was your answer, the first part of it. And, no, that is not what it is saying. Which is what I said.

I believe there is a difference, a big difference, between 'Yes' and 'No'. ;)

I think that is what I said in my reply.

Scott,

I believe you now see what I responded as I did, there is a big difference between 'Yes' and 'No'.

Right? :)