PDA

View Full Version : new construction - exhaust vent quest.

dan orourke
05-08-2007, 09:45 AM

Rick Cantrell
05-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Dan
Are you refering to securing the vents to the interior walls?
I don't know of any reason why that would'nt be OK, other than sloppy.

Jerry Peck
05-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Well, if the hoods are plastic, the roofing nails have larger heads and will be less likely to break the plastic.

A nail (for that purpose) is a nail is a nail.

Would screws hold better? Sure, but screws would hold a lot of things better than nails, but nails are acceptable.

To know for sure, you would need to read the installation instructions, if it shows 'fasteners', nails and screws are both "fasteners".

If it specifies "screws", then "screws" it should be.

Chris Ethridge
05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
we have used tac nails for 28 years never had them questioned by anybody.

Thom Walker
05-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Dan,
Glad the big storms missed you and that you have houses left to inspect. Have you dug your basement yet? My Mom lives in Yukon and won't have one dug. "If it's my time, I'll go." The worst part of that kind of stubborness is that she survived one when we lived in Maryland BECAUSE we had a basement.

Chris,
Glad you're exploring the site. I hope you're finding some helpful information. Reference your last statement at this link:

"we have used tac nails for 28 years never had them questioned by anybody."

Dan was doing what HI's are supposed to do. He observed and he saw something that he thought might not be right. And he did ask questions. He didn't just tell the builder it was wrong. In this case, it was a non issue. The importance here and with all building practices is not how long someone has done something without being questioned.

For example, for longer than 28 years, windows were not flashed or were improperly flashed because it was how everyone had always done it and no one questioned it. Once questioned, the practice was standardized and those builders and installers who care to will install windows that are much less prone to leaking. I'm sure that in your own field, you can think of things you did for years as standard practice that you wouldn't do now.

On another topic, is Nick's Seafood Pavillion still on the river under the bridge?:confused: