PDA

View Full Version : CSST to copper

wayne soper
08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
CSST today, new home. Can we use this copper pipe in ths way? Yes we can. What about ground to manifold. Yes we need one.

Jerry Peck
08-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Is that a plastic manifold? If so, each CSST would need its own ground bond. If the manifold is metal, and the copper is bonded, then no bond is needed at the manifold.

Those look like those pre-soldered fittings which are slipped together and then heated. Are they approved for use with gas?

Not all copper is approved for use with gas, and not with all types of gas.

wayne soper
08-26-2008, 05:16 AM
No Jerry, Iron manifold, couldn't tell if the meter was grounded. Couldn't get to it. Storage. Called it as check by installing plumber.
Copper pipes are crimped which is allowed although the first time I have seen it used for gas application.

Victor DaGraca
08-26-2008, 06:31 AM
I don't know if it's just the colors in the picture, but, that appears to be "white" teflon tape used on those threads.
"White" teflon tape is not allowed for gas connections.
Don't ask me why or where it is specifically prhibited by any regulatng agency, but, I do remember the packaging specifically stating that it is not to be used for gas applications.

Jerry Peck
08-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Here are some varieties of Teflon pipe sealant tape: Adhesives > Thread and Gasket Sealants > Pipe Sealant Tape : Grainger Industrial Supply (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/categories/adhesives/thread-and-gasket-sealants/pipe-sealant-tape)

It's not the color, but what it is rated for.

Quite probably, 'seeing yellow' means that there is no mistaking non-rated tape for that use, however, it may also be possible that there is a non-yellow tape rated for that use - "possible" - I tried searching the Dupont site got some page errors, but mostly information which was not linked to anything to check further???? :confused: Not real helpful for a web site from such a large company.

brian schmitt
08-27-2008, 09:16 AM
wayne,
fittings are "viega" pro press brand. they also make pex tubing. they have to be marked for gas application. they are solderless crimped fittings.

wayne soper
08-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks Brian, good info!!Marked meaning a stamp on the pipe? or a tag indicating it is being used as a gas line to prevent the three stooges from cutting it?

brian schmitt
08-27-2008, 01:04 PM
wayne
gas is marked with a yellow spot.

Rick Cantrell
08-27-2008, 01:39 PM
This is off topic, but when I read "to prevent the three stooges from cutting it", I gotta tell this story.
I was remodeling a house I bought. 3 guys working for me, I had to go out of town for a few days. When I returned I found that they had connected the water (galv being replaced with copper) to the gas pipe (black). You can only imagine my reaction. Talk about 3 stooges.

wayne soper
08-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks Brian, that spot would be applied by the plumber as a visual aid. correct?