PDA

View Full Version : inverted starter strip?

Jerome W. Young
08-25-2008, 05:43 PM
looks like they got the starter strip upside down, they did bull the edge but probably not going to stick real well to the granules. Is this what i am seeing? big deal or not so big deal?

Jerry Peck
08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
looks like they got the starter strip upside down,

That is what it looks like.

That brings up the question of 'who installed the roof'. It is not unusual to turn a three tab shingle upside down and use as a starter strip - except that 'upside down' means the slots facing up the roof, not down the roof.

If they installed that 'upside down', meaning granules down ... what else did they 'misunderstand' what they were told to do?

That would make me very nervous about the part I can't see.

Is this what i am seeing?

Yes, it looks that way.

big deal or not so big deal?

Yes, big deal. Especially in your high wind region. You, we all did (all of Florida) just had a reminder that hurricanes go anywhere they want, even criss-crossing the state a couple of times - fortunately, Fay was only a Tropical Storm, but it was a "reminder" to all of Florida, including your area.

Also, was there not a space between the back of the drip edge metal and the fascia? That will surely rot the fascia out.

Jim Luttrall
08-25-2008, 07:21 PM
It is not unusual to turn a three tab shingle upside down and use as a starter strip - except that 'upside down' means the slots facing up the roof, not down the roof.

Just a note that turning a three tab shingle upside down in any direction is totally improper. I see it all the time here and call it out every time. The proper method is to use a starter shingle provided by the manufacturer or to cut the tabs off of a standard shingle and apply the cut shingle at the edge of the roof where the nails and the self-sealing strip is at the edge of the roof.

I know Jerry knows this, but for those that might read this thread later, "upside down" is not acceptable.

Jim Zborowski
08-28-2008, 04:50 AM
Actually, when using shingles as the starter, the tabs are cut off and the remaining portion ( which is normally under the next shingle up ) is placed with the tar strip at the bottom. This allows the tar strip to adhere to the first shingle.

Jim Luttrall
08-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Actually, when using shingles as the starter, the tabs are cut off and the remaining portion ( which is normally under the next shingle up ) is placed with the tar strip at the bottom. This allows the tar strip to adhere to the first shingle.

The proper method is to use a starter shingle provided by the manufacturer or to cut the tabs off of a standard shingle and apply the cut shingle at the edge of the roof where the nails and the self-sealing strip is at the edge of the roof.

I thought that is what I said... did you get something else from my post?

Chad Fabry
08-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Elk 50 year shingles are granulated on both the top and the bottom. I realize that it's probably installed wrong but it'd be prudent to at least rule out the possibility.

I've seen starter strip on rolls that is granulated both sides as well.

Charles Sessums
08-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Wrong side up.

Typically the tabs are not removed. Wrong either way.
As you may expect, the wood in the overhangs is water damaged.

Jack Feldmann
08-31-2008, 01:00 PM
I just pulled out a roofing book I had found while cleaning out the office. Just for fun I looked up starter course. Here is what is says, "Starting at the left rake, apply the starter course along the eave with the wind sealing strips down. Trim 6 inches off the end of the first shingle to offset the cutouts in the starter and first courses."

This book does show the installation in the overlapping diagonal, and not the way I seem to see them doing it here where they usually miss a nail in every other course because they have a shingle covered. I never figured out why they do it that way here.
The book has a copyright of 1981