PDA

View Full Version : Pools filled with Dirt?

Rick Hurst
08-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Do you have any comments you mention about pools being filled with dirt?

Most I've seen have had the pool walls wrecked and large holes jackhammered out in the bottom so water can drain.

This home today had a fiberglass shell that was still visible in some areas protruding from the ground.

Just wondering what issues could be present?

Rick

wayne soper
08-27-2008, 04:40 PM
I would let them know its there. Trip hazards, fall and cut hazards. Possible buried skateboarder at bottom. and all those good things.
It sure won't pop out the way they do when they are empty. Around here anyway.

Rick Cantrell
08-27-2008, 04:51 PM
"Possible buried skateboarder "

And trash, garbage, oil drums, perhaps even Jimmy Hoffa.:)
Good point though, no telling what is in there.

Billy Stephens
08-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Just wondering what issues could be present?

Rick
"Included with This Beautiful Home is a Private, Secluded Oval Walking Path." :D

Rick Cantrell
08-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Billy
What, no animated pictograph

Billy Stephens
08-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Billy
What, no animated pictograph
Sorry, :)

Jerry Peck
08-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Wonder why they did not just take the fiberglass out, it would be a lot easier than concrete.

If the bottom is not broken out, it will hold water and become muddy and you might even be able to lose people down in there if there was enough rain to reach the saturation point (at which time the dirt become 'plastic' and 'flows', losing its ability to support things). ;)

Rick Hurst
08-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Fritz,

I've had a pool at every home I have ever owned so that won't fly with me.

I cant' imagine why anyone would do such a thing. People who complain about a pool most of the time I've found really can't afford the pool.

Its not that they don't enjoy the pool, they just don't want the costs included in taking care of one.

rick

Ron Bibler
08-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Some investers will buy a home and fill in pools to lower insurance cost and libility from renters.

Best

Ron

Jim Luttrall
08-28-2008, 08:14 AM
I sold the last home I had in part to get rid of the pool.

It was a great pool, but no one used it enough to justify the expense, the daily maintenance, as well as the constant thought of a child safety.

I built the pool at the wife's behest for the kids who were still in high school, but life happens and everyone moved on and out.

I doubt I would have ever filled it in, but I did regret building it in the first place.

Ted Menelly
08-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I sold the last home I had in part to get rid of the pool.

It was a great pool, but no one used it enough to justify the expense, the daily maintenance, as well as the constant thought of a child safety.

I built the pool at the wife's behest for the kids who were still in high school, but life happens and everyone moved on and out.

I doubt I would have ever filled it in, but I did regret building it in the first place.

Full screened enclosure and a salt water setup and the maintenance disappears. The last home in Florida i lived in I had a rectangular 15 by 36 pool with a salt water setup and a full screened enclosure. A little mortan salt every few months, occasional sweeping, A little acid once a week and nothing else. My neighbors with pools hated their pools once they saw what little maintenance was involved with ours.

I would love another pool. Great for your back and relaxation. Not bad for a get together now and then either.