PDA

View Full Version : Just saying hello

Justin Bolton
08-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Hello everyone, I've been watching these forums while I was taking my 124 classroom hours and now that I've completed them I've had 0 luck finding a professional inspector to help with my 60 hours of inspecting, If any of you know someone in the DFW area who's a professional inspector please contact me.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Ron Bibler
08-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Wellcome Justin. I'm in CALIF. Cant help you but If i could i would.

Now if you want to come out to Calif. Thats something to think about.:D

Best

Ron

Rick Hurst
08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Ron,

I'm going to be in San Diego and Laguna Beach in Sept. 20-28th.

If you need someone to ride that Harley during that time, let me know I'll keep the soot blowed out of it for you.

Ron Bibler
08-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Never mind us Justin.

Rick I have about 350 plus friends in the San Daigo area if you what to ride i can get you plug in with a pack of NICE GUYS.

They have some very nice coast roads to ride.

This is NO BS. If YOU WANT TO RIDE. JUST SAY SO.

Black Sheep. Harley Davidson For Christ. or Bikers For Christ.

Best

Ron

Rick Hurst
08-28-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm seriously looking into renting a bike while I'm there.

We'll be more in the Laguna Beach at the Montage. Can't wait to get there again. We go for about a week every year in Sept.

Rick

Ron Bibler
08-28-2008, 04:53 PM
We would Thum it down there form the LA area back in the day 1972. body surf the wege hang around the penny arcade. pin-ball check the local Chicks on the beach and Thum it back to the hights.
Had some Good times around there. gas was 2bits a gal.

Surfs up Dude.

Best

Ron

Erby Crofutt
08-29-2008, 03:23 AM
Not to detract from Ron & Ricks conversation but Justin, you need to expand your horizons.

Most local guys don't want to train the competition that will be taking a piece of "their" pie.

Look for some that are about an hour (or more) away. They'll be more likely to be willing to help you get started.

Bob Spermo
08-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Justin

Have you gone to the TREC website? They have a list of inspectors that are qualified to "train" you. Many inspectors don't want to train competitors and other inspectors don't want to file the required paperwork with TREC to be an approved "trainer".

Brian Thomas
08-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Not to detract from Ron & Ricks conversation but Justin, you need to expand your horizons.

Most local guys don't want to train the competition that will be taking a piece of "their" pie.

Look for some that are about an hour (or more) away. They'll be more likely to be willing to help you get started.

See, thats the kind of attitude about this business that annoys me. If youre an established inspector in your area, why wouldnt you want to help a newbie out? If youre that afraid of a new kid on the block stealing your business away, then youre not a very good inspector to begin with.

I have the same problem right now. Its very hard to find someone to help me out with ride alongs. Its gonna take a long time for me to get established in this down market so to not help me out because I may steal some of your business is ludicrous. Maybe its different in texas, I dont know.

Justin, you need to find someone in your area that is not so insecure about their business. They do exist and you may have to contact several guys before you find one willing to help you. Dont waste your time with someone that is an hour or two away.

And Erby, this is not directed at you in any way. Its the attitude of some inspectors that annoys me. I understand what youre saying and I agree that alot of guys may be like that. I just think its BS!

Ron Bibler
08-29-2008, 08:48 AM
See, thats the kind of attitude about this business that annoys me. If youre an established inspector in your area, why wouldnt you want to help a newbie out? If youre that afraid of a new kid on the block stealing your business away, then youre not a very good inspector to begin with.

I have the same problem right now. Its very hard to find someone to help me out with ride alongs. Its gonna take a long time for me to get established in this down market so to not help me out because I may steal some of your business is ludicrous. Maybe its different in texas, I dont know.

Justin, you need to find someone in your area that is not so insecure about their business. They do exist and you may have to contact several guys before you find one willing to help you. Dont waste your time with someone that is an hour or two away.

And Erby, this is not directed at you in any way. Its the attitude of some inspectors that annoys me. I understand what youre saying and I agree that alot of guys may be like that. I just think its BS!

Say We should have a place on this board where inspectors can put there contact info. to do just that. help the new guys out. I will put my Name down. any others?

Brian if you are looking get to work on this.

Best

Ron

Rick Hurst
08-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Brian,

Have you ever heard of "liability issues"? :mad:

You want to help pay for that E&O and liability insurance while you tag along?

If I drag an inspector out on a HI, then I become responsible for anything he might do, say, or decide to put in his pocket. SImply not worth the risks.

Most of us in this business have had to start from the ground up and didn't get a free ride as some of the "newbies" expect.

Get your facts right before you start accussing people of not being good inspectors.

I live in the same area as Justin, he mentioned he's called many inspectors. I hadn't heard from him.

rick

Brian Thomas
08-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Brian,

Have you ever heard of "liability issues"? :mad:

You want to help pay for that E&O and liability insurance while you tag along?

If I drag an inspector out on a HI, then I become responsible for anything he might do, say, or decide to put in his pocket. SImply not worth the risks.

Most of us in this business have had to start from the ground up and didn't get a free ride as some of the "newbies" expect.

Get your facts right before you start accussing people of not being good inspectors.

I live in the same area as Justin, he mentioned he's called many inspectors. I hadn't heard from him.

rick

Nothing was said about liability issues. What i read from Erby and the others was that most people dont want to "train" their competition.

If you dont want to take an inspector on a ride along because your nervous about someone stealing, or getting hurt, fine dont do it! But im guessing most of the guys here are more worried about a new inspector taking business away, rather than liability!

You said that you live in the same area as justin but you havent heard from him. Yet your response to his question was:

"Ron,

I'm going to be in San Diego and Laguna Beach in Sept. 20-28th.

If you need someone to ride that Harley during that time, let me know I'll keep the soot blowed out of it for you."

I doubt this was the response Justin was hoping for

Rick Hurst
08-29-2008, 09:37 AM
I admit to you Brian that me and Ron got off topic. It happens on here quite often. :D

Honestly, why do think that someone who has been in this business successfuly for many years would think that some new guy is going to come in and take over business. Think maybe that new toolbag full of shiny new tools is going to do it.

I've seen many come and go over the years.

rick

Brian Thomas
08-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I dont know why anyone that has been in the business for many years would think that a new guy would come in and take their business. Its just not likely unless the new guy is like the "michael phelps of home inspecting" :)

I gotta say that I didnt think about the liability issue at first. Thats why I come to this board though. To learn from the seasoned guys because Im still wet bahind the ears.

Dan Hagman
08-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Hey Justin, Welcome aboard, I climed on yesterday. Don't let Ron spot you $5 he charges interest. :rolleyes:

ProSite Home Inspections
Altoona, Iowa
Dan Hagman

The Snow is comming !:(

Ron Bibler
08-29-2008, 11:38 AM
What was that Post just a short time back about the damage an ispector can do on and inspection, Broken Glass, falling though the Sheet rock ceiling, Triping over something in the Home. There was so much stuff that we as inspector have damaged doing inspection. I had a ride along with me one time I ask him to hole my lap top. He drop It on the drive way. Dang that was close It still work OK. I forgot about that untill Rick pointed that out. Thanks Rick your a good man...

Say Justin. Are we having fun yet? iTS ALL gOOD:D

bEST

rON L.o.L

Nolan Kienitz
08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Justin,

As Bob noted your best approach would be to check out the TREC site and do a search for the PIs in this market who have done the paperwork and signed up for training, ride-a-longs or whatever they call it.

Not all TREC licensed inspectors do that. Does not mean that they are not qualified ... just that such a role is not in their business plan.

As Rick noted and I strongly echo ... are the liability issues. Especially since we are now required to have E&O (some of us have had it for many years). My policy does not provide coverage for a ride-a-long. You would have to have your own coverage ... I've confirmed this with 'my' carrier for my policy.

Many new HIs do make the effort to go to another vicinity for a learning experience. I did that when I first started and I also found a good mentor and he had a "substantial fee" that was paid up-front for his time, experience and sharing of expertise. Even though I was many miles away from his domain I still had to sign a non-compete contract.

If you are going to a 'local' DFW training school they will usually have a list of contacts that have agreed to some of the items noted above.

Justin Bolton
08-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone, I tried the trec list but for many inspectors I called in Dallas they were either retired or in a different occupation, I found maybe 4 who were still active out of 30 but they already had someone they were training. As for the outer vicinity, I started looking in Frisco or Arlington.

Edit - This is for Rick and Nolan, if I were to get 100k in E&O insurance would you consider letting me follow either of you in an inspection?

Ron Bibler
08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Justin Say sopt me that $100K and i will fly you out to Calif and put you up in a nice place and you can ride along for a week.:D

Best

Ron

Justin Bolton
08-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Haha Ron if I had the cash I'd be in mexico with a corona thats never empty, I think I'm just gonna dish out the 600-900$ for the classroom training hours. Gotta spend money to make money, right?

Ron Bibler
08-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Justin you are going to be a very good HI. Its all in the way you look at things. is that not what we do?

Great attude Dude.

Say can you sopt me $5 for a cup of coffee.:D

Best

Ron

Justin Bolton
08-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Well under normal circumstances I would spot you. If you want to pay the daily interest rating that is. :D

Ron Bibler
08-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Well under normal circumstances I would spot you. If you want to pay the daily interest rating that is. :D

Thanks Just ad that to my bill.

Ron

Billy Stephens
08-29-2008, 05:11 PM
== ad that to my bill.

Ron
Look for a Form 1099 after the end of the year. :)

Rick Hurst
08-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone, I tried the trec list but for many inspectors I called in Dallas they were either retired or in a different occupation, I found maybe 4 who were still active out of 30 but they already had someone they were training. As for the outer vicinity, I started looking in Frisco or Arlington.

Edit - This is for Rick and Nolan, if I were to get 100k in E&O insurance would you consider letting me follow either of you in an inspection?

Justin,

I don't think you could obtain that 100K in E&O at the moment due to not having a HI License.

Some of the new HI's that have called me have told me that their having a hard time finding a in$urance carrier because without any experience the in$urance find them to be more of a risk.

I'll do this for you, I will let you meet up with me on some vacant homes such as some foreclosures and let you do a mock up inspection and we'll talk about it as we go through it. I do know the time on site is not going to help you as far as your hours but some on the site work could maybe help you out.

Heck, I was raised in Mesquite (don't tell everyone) so I would be happy to help you if you want to try it out.

Email me your contact numbers if your interested.
HomeWorkInspections@gmail.com

Rick

Ron Bibler
08-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Now see Justin if you were in Calif. where you don't need no stinking LIC. to do home inspection. But you are in what state was that?

Just had to get a jab in. L.O.L.

Thats a good thing Rick has going.

Best

Ron

Justin Bolton
08-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I'll be taking you up on your offer Rick, as for Ron, I don't need a license to perform a home inspection in CALI? I know where I'm going for "vacation" summer for 09. :D

Brian Thomas
08-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Justin,

I don't think you could obtain that 100K in E&O at the moment due to not having a HI License.

Some of the new HI's that have called me have told me that their having a hard time finding a in$urance carrier because without any experience the in$urance find them to be more of a risk.

I'll do this for you, I will let you meet up with me on some vacant homes such as some foreclosures and let you do a mock up inspection and we'll talk about it as we go through it. I do know the time on site is not going to help you as far as your hours but some on the site work could maybe help you out.

Heck, I was raised in Mesquite (don't tell everyone) so I would be happy to help you if you want to try it out.

Email me your contact numbers if your interested.
HomeWorkInspections@gmail.com

Rick

Thats good to hear Rick. Thanks for giving back.

That way there is no liability for you and Justin will be able to learn in a real environment from an experienced inspector.

Erby Crofutt
08-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Out of all the ones that have asked me for ridealongs, only about five actually showed up when it came time.

Only one is still in business. Good inspector, bit weak on marketing, but he IS taking a small piece of the pie.

Though I always take them on an old house with a nasty crawl space with no client present. Kinda gets that shine off their knee pads and belly!:) :) :)