PDA

View Full Version : Framing in attic

JIM MURPHY
08-29-2008, 06:08 AM
Looking at the pictures, does the framing in the attic look conventional. Seems to be lacking supports, the support present does not seem to be structurally sufficient {used for support in the early stages of construction and left} and it looks like there should be straps and hangers present. New Construction, unfinished repo being sold "As Is".

Thanks,

Jim Murphy

Jerry Peck
08-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Looks weird to me, but then I am used to seeing engineered trusses, everything strapped down so it stays where it is when the wind blows, etc., not much help here.

Ted Menelly
08-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Some pretty serious ridge beams, more than needed by any means. Central upright supports, supports further down the ridge beams, perlin ins in place. I am no engineer but I really don't see much to pursue. Of course if I were there I may say different but the pics I am seeing is not throwing out alarms.

Rick Hurst
08-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Here's what I see.

rick

Ted Menelly
08-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Here's what I see.

rick

I saw that Rick but by the pics I could not tell exactly that was supporting. Like i said, if I were there I could more than likely find things to beat up.

Hey Rick

I see a few folks from the area on here at diffeent times of the day. It does appear that you and others as well as me have the school start up slows going on.

Rick Hurst
08-29-2008, 08:58 AM
I saw that Rick but by the pics I could not tell exactly that was supporting. Like i said, if I were there I could more than likely find things to beat up.

Hey Rick

I see a few folks from the area on here at diffeent times of the day. It does appear that you and others as well as me have the school start up slows going on.

Actually Ted, I have a wireless card on the puter. I'm out front of a house waiting for my client to get here so I can get my check. :D

During the day, if I'm on here I'm usually not at the office but in between stops.
The slow down hasn't shown up on this side of the tracks as of yet. I'm actually nearly booked up all of next week.

Ted Menelly
08-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Actually Ted, I have a wireless card on the puter. I'm out front of a house waiting for my client to get here so I can get my check. :D
The slow down hasn't shown up on this side of the tracks as of yet. I'm actually nearly booked up all of next week.

That's great

I have been here for 4 years and it seams the 3 days to a week before and after school is starting I have been pretty slow. I am sure like always it will kick back in.
Right now, referrals and the internet calls from all sides are the typical slow school thing.

Jerry Peck
08-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Rick,

That vertical over to the right is bowed to.

What about that beam not bearing on the hip ridge? Supposed to or not? If yes, then it should be fully bearing on the hip ridge, not hanging down like that, right?

Jerry McCarthy
08-29-2008, 09:54 AM
I like to see ridge and hip support posts properly sized and cleated, the apex looks like a frame-as-you-go job and I sure would like to confirm that major center support post is landing on a bearing partition? :confused:

Rick Hurst
08-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Jerry P. and Jerry Mc.

I agree with both of your comments.

rick