PDA

View Full Version : This guy is PO'd at his builder - Syncon Homes

Mauritz Nordstrom
08-30-2008, 08:49 AM
I thought some might find this guy's website interesting. I had reason to review some of his problems a few weeks back.

He's having some problems with his house that he purchased last year and he's decided to publish a website. It's kinda' interesting.

He told me that he had two different home inspections completed before he bought his house. He also deferred to that old statement from the builder, "Don't worry, there's a 2/10 warranty on the house." Apparently he's presenting pictures and events that show the builder isn't quite living up to that statement.

Anyway, he's now embroiled in a construction defects claim against the builder. I'm sure it's going to be a long haul for him.

Here's his website, any thoughts?

Discover the Truth about Syncon Homes - Defects, Code Violations, Fraud by Syncon (http://www.asynconhome.info/)

EDIT: Just so you know, I didn't type in the title on the link. It just keeps defaulting to it when I type in the website address.

Rick Hurst
08-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Mauritz,

What I'm thinking is "this guy" you mention is really you.

I think YOU put together this web site and I could understand why if that is your home. After going back and researching your other posts, you posted a question back in July asking about EIFs and said you requested information from the builder or something to that which any other HI would not probably be doing.

And you also used the "Pull your head out" pic that Brian has posted on this site. C'mon dude.

I think YOU put a lot of effort into your website, and I'm sorry to hear your having problems with your home.

Curious though, Did you have a Home Inspector out before you bought it?

Just my opinion,

rick

Mauritz Nordstrom
08-30-2008, 09:57 PM
What I'm thinking is "this guy" you mention is really you.
Hi Rick,

Heehee, I can see how you might think that. :) It's the way the two posts are layed out and the time frame between the two of them. Here's the situation:

When I was at the house, both the buyer and the builder representative were there. The buyer obviously needed an evaluation to present to the builder to get some defects fixed. His problems were obviously starting.

Both of them followed me around. When the buyer would ask a question, the builder would often want to put his 2-cents in.

I think you'll find that I didn't say in the earlier post that I sought any information from the builder. It was provided to me. What I didn't write was that the builder was at the inspection with the buyer and that's where the info came to light. It was a situation between the builder and buyer where it was prudent to not insert my 2-cents.

I took the position to not try to quiet the builder if he wanted to say something. He generally stayed out of the way. Oftentimes they can accidentally offer something that I might find valuable, which is what happened here. That's how the conflict over the name of the siding was discovered.

I've since become aware of the buyer's website since he's published it around town. He's even gone as far as holding a protest in front of the builder's office. That's where I got the web address.

In any case, he did tell me that he got two seperate home inspections before he bought the house. I didn't look at his prior inspections so I have no idea about their content. I prefer to do my own work rather than be swayed by someone's previous work or embroiled in their problems.

Anyway, thanks for the laugh and the input! :D

EDIT: I see you added something about the "pull your head out" picture. I can't address that because I don't know anything about it on his site. Sorry.

Rick Hurst
08-30-2008, 10:00 PM
You could see where I might think that then right?

After looking at the site, the builder's lucky he hasn't been shot. Must not be a Texan homeowner.

Mauritz Nordstrom
08-30-2008, 10:21 PM
You could see where I might think that then right?

After looking at the site, the builder's lucky he hasn't been shot. Must not be a Texan homeowner.
Absolutely! That's why I having a little laugh.

As they say today, "My Bad." It's my poor attempt at brevity that led to your observation.

. . . and yup, they're not Texans. The buyer is a Nevadan and the builder is originally a California company. Hummm, even that sounds like a receipe for disaster. :rolleyes:

Jerry Peck
08-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Mauritz,

Would you kindly update your profile location from "USA" to the city and state you live in.

We all might as well just put "Earth" for our locations, it would be just as helpful.

Brian Thomas
09-01-2008, 07:10 PM
http://www.asynconhome.info/images/crack.jpg

This crack looks kind of funny. It looks like it was put on there with a sharpie marker. Does any one else think that?

Brandon Whitmore
09-01-2008, 07:12 PM
This crack looks kind of funny. It looks like it was put on there with a sharpie marker. Does any one else think that?

It just looks like the finish coat has some flexibility to it. If that was from a sharpie, I would think the outer aggregate portion would be more pronounced and not less than the inset areas.

Brian Thomas
09-01-2008, 07:29 PM
It just doesnt look like a crack to me. But from what I read about that guys house, its quite likely there would be a crack in his EIFS siding.

John Carroll
09-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but.......
This system is NOT E.I.F.S. Even the Omega ICBO listed it as Portland Cement Plaster.
You guys are doing these people a disservice for characterizing the system as EIFS.
In the SW U. S. this is called thin coat, or one coat stucco. See my previous posts on the differences.

This is not to say the installation was not correct, there obviously were some screw-ups, both at concrete and framing stages, as well as the lath installation. The exposed sill plate was not the stucco subs fault. The bust in the slab pour also wasn't his fault either. But it was wrong to cover it up without documenting an attempt to get it changed. It's called CYA.

Most GC's in the production market here are oblivious about these kind of mistakes unless pointed out by a savvy installer, sadly there are not that many left...this points out the great need for buyers inspectors in that market. Expect a fight from the builders on implementating that one...:cool: