PDA

View Full Version : stucco stop weep holes

Jerome W. Young
09-02-2008, 05:22 PM
two story house wood frame upper with wire lath stucco over and cbs stucco lower. Is the gap a problem where the two meet? what about weep holes? there are none in this stucco stop?

Jerry Peck
09-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Jerome,

A 'weep screed' will have an angled bottom flange, that is what allows the moisture to weep out - gravity draining down the angle bottom between the stucco and the weep screed.

In weep screeds which have holes along the bottom, the holes are not there to allow the moisture to weep out through the holes, but to allow the stucco to mechanically key into the holes, which helps keep the stucco in place and not come loose along the bottom at the weep screed.

What's with that photo with that weird texture sprayed on over the stucco?

Jerome W. Young
09-02-2008, 06:53 PM
I think that was a close up of a decorative band.

That small gap between the two is probably where the moisture drains you think? The botom of the stucco stop was flush. I thought that gap may need to be sealed with caulk?

wayne soper
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
That looks like EIFS. You sure stucco?

Jerome W. Young
09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
no eifs

Jerry Peck
09-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I think that was a close up of a decorative band.

Got it. You took the photo facing up and caught the side of a band in the photo.

That small gap between the two is probably where the moisture drains you think?

Could be, but not if it is all installed properly. As typically installed, yes.

The botom of the stucco stop was flush. I thought that gap may need to be sealed with caulk?

If it is intended to, or even not intended to but is, act as the weep area, then, no, do not caulk it. That would only blocked it from weeping more than it already is.

carl brown
09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
The water will weep out the back side of the caseing bead it has holes in it too.

Was there backer rod and sealant joints around the windows?

See the holes in the back? Water gets out there.

AMICO Metal Lath and Vinyl Bead Building Products > Casing Beads (http://amico-lath.com/lath/x_66_casing_bead.htm)

Jerry Peck
09-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Could be, but not if it is all installed properly. As typically installed, yes.

The water will weep out the back side of the caseing bead it has holes in it too.

As I told Jerome, "not if it is all installed properly".

The WRB should be lapped over the top of the weep screed, thus, all drainage would be down and over the top of, not behind, the weep screed.

That said, as it is 'most often' installed, and as it looks to be installed in that photo, yeah, it probably does weep out through that space.

It just 'should not' weep out there.

John Carroll
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Actually, the excess moisture will weep out the back side of the casing because the vapor barrier wil shrink up and wrinkle slightly when exposed to moisture, creating a gap that will allow this to occur. This is a common solution for second story stucco planes in which the standard weep screed holes would create an unsightly look if left exposed in a location that is easily seen. It would not be any more destructive than rain on the stucco, except that if the WRB is asphalt impregnated, there might be some staining. As long as the weep screed was held down enough past the first story stucco, it should be ok. Definitely, do not suggest caulk, for the reason stated in the (somewhat correct) post above...:cool: