PDA

View Full Version : How do you word "Hail Exposure" in your reports

Gene South
09-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I have had a couple of situations where I flagged a roof as "having some amount of hail exposure" and in the report suggest a qualified roofer and/or insurance adjuster to examine the roof to determine if repair is warranted. When you see some small amount of hail dents, how do you write you description to be accurate and also non inflamatory and also to protect your own liability... ? Also, have you had situations where the insurance adjuster said he saw "no damage" after you said you did see some ?

Rick Hurst
09-04-2008, 11:35 AM
I have had a couple of situations where I flagged a roof as "having some amount of hail exposure" and in the report suggest a qualified roofer and/or insurance adjuster to examine the roof to determine if repair is warranted. When you see some small amount of hail dents, how do you write you description to be accurate and also non inflamatory and also to protect your own liability... ? Also, have you had situations where the insurance adjuster said he saw "no damage" after you said you did see some ?

non inflamatory? Are we talking Hail damages or Hemorrhoids?:D

If I see evidence of hail, I state that I saw evidence of hail. I don't call it out as suspected hail or possible hail. Then I follow up with "Call a reputable roofing contractor for estimates and repairs".

Have I ever had an insurance adjuster say he saw no damages after I inspected? No.

rick

Jerry Peck
09-04-2008, 12:11 PM
"having some amount of hail exposure"

"hail exposure"???

You mean "hail damage", right?

Basically all roofs have "hail exposure" in that they are "exposed" to hail when hail is present.

"Exposure" is not the word you should use.

Ted Menelly
09-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I inspected a home today that had an area 20 x 20 that had bad hail damage but that was the only area that looked damaged. The big guy upstairs must have just emptied a big bucket full of hail all at once and then stopped dumping it.

Nolan Kienitz
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM

Gene,

Here is one of a few that I use:

"The roofing material was observed to have impact damage in various locations. The impact damage may have been caused by a previous hailstorm and should be evaluated further."

As for adjuster commenting against what I noted ... "nope".

Rick Hurst
09-04-2008, 09:27 PM
This would be impact damages.

Don't you remember the invasion back in 2006 Nolan?

What a day that was.

rick