PDA

View Full Version : split level

John Dirks Jr
09-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm just curious about this but when did the split level home design first show up on the scene? I'm doing one tomorrow and it's said to be built in 1965. I didn't think they were around that early.

Rick Hurst
09-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Split level homes most started back in the 1950's and 60's. Some are even older.

Most common problems I've seen is:

Stair problems
Improper grading
Uneven heating / cooling
Outdated equipment
Electrical Service equipment problems

Just to name a few.

rick

Brandon Whitmore
09-04-2008, 01:38 PM
50's according to this article

An American Vernacular: The What, How & Why of Bi-level and Split-level homes (http://www.splitlevel.net/background.html)

Jack Feldmann
09-04-2008, 02:28 PM
We have tons of split foyer homes that were built in the 70's and 80's. Odd design.

Ted Menelly
09-04-2008, 03:31 PM
We have tons of split foyer homes that were built in the 70's and 80's. Odd design.

Split foyer as in raised ranch?

By level and tri level have been around a long time. Those along with raised ranches and bilevels or side to side split level and trilevels were very popular in the 60's and earlier 70's in Mass.

John Dirks Jr
09-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they were around that early

Jack Feldmann
09-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Split foyer:
You walk in the front door and there is a landing, maybe 5'x6' with a short stair going up on the right, and a short stair going down on the left.

So it's really a 2 story house (bottom level is usually a walk out basement) and the garage is a part of the bottom level.

Downstairs is usually a 2 car garage, laundry room/1/2 bath, and then there is either one big room (sometimes a fireplace), or a bedroom and a family room/den. Upstairs is the normal 3/2.5, kitchen, dining room, living room.
Here's a couple photos of one........

Mike Schulz
09-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Split levels I see would be you walk into the front door with stairs going up and down. The section of the upper is on a dirt crawl space and of course the lower is slab. You go through a scuttle hole on the lower section to get under the upper floor crawl space. Sort of like a half basement.

Ted Menelly
09-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Split foyer:
You walk in the front door and there is a landing, maybe 5'x6' with a short stair going up on the right, and a short stair going down on the left.

So it's really a 2 story house (bottom level is usually a walk out basement) and the garage is a part of the bottom level.

Downstairs is usually a 2 car garage, laundry room/1/2 bath, and then there is either one big room (sometimes a fireplace), or a bedroom and a family room/den. Upstairs is the normal 3/2.5, kitchen, dining room, living room.
Here's a couple photos of one........

That is a raised ranch Jack. They started in the mid to late 60'o maybe early 70's

Brandon Chew
09-11-2008, 06:45 AM
That is a raised ranch Jack. They started in the mid to late 60'o maybe early 70's

Around here, we also call those a raised ranch. Could be a Northeast thing ...

Sal Castro
09-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Here on Long Island they call them "High Ranches".
I find many with foundation waterproofing seepage causing problems at the bottom of the finished wall of the lower level where it is below grade.

Darren Miller
09-12-2008, 11:29 AM
In New Jersey we call them Bi-levels

Joe Klampfer
09-12-2008, 08:17 PM
In New Jersey we call them Bi-levels

You're right - That one is a bi-level... a split-level looks more like...

Ted Menelly
09-12-2008, 08:57 PM
You're right - That one is a bi-level... a split-level looks more like...

Now that picture is a tri-level or is it a qud level???