PDA

View Full Version : DFW inspectors-- take note

Richard Rushing
05-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Be extra careful out there with your roofing inspections... We have had some tremendous winds come thru the area that left behind some pretty serious wind damage as well as wind uplift to singles. Those that don't get on every roof will need to find a way to do so over the next year or so.

Be sure you are checking for tab uplift and drip-edge uplift as well. In addition to wind uplift, there were some small issues with hail damage that will contribute to the expediting of the need for replacement. Generally, we will not have hail big enough to cause an immediate replacement, but the combination of several small hail storms can and will cause some of these that were borderline (previously) to now be considered for at least a 1/2 new roof (usually the slope of the storm direction came from.

I guess where I am coming from is that just because it looks like there is no displacement from the lower level, don't take that for granted and not get up there and verify...

Mike Huppi
05-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Dont they require tar paper on the sheathing. From looking at the torn ridge cap pic it did not look like there was any.

Richard Rushing
05-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Yes... if you look further up that ridge, you will see that there used-to-be paper under there but she's a gonner now.

We have had several storms in the past two weeks with wind gust 60-76 mph. Lik to have more inclement weather this week as well.

Rich

BARRY ADAIR
05-09-2007, 02:30 AM
10-4 that!

Loose and displaced, watch where you step. NO sliders please.
Top nailing
Absent uplifted tabs

Rick Hurst
05-09-2007, 05:55 AM
Seeing this a lot out in the Frisco, Allen, Wylie, and Rowlett areas.

Jim Luttrall
05-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Ditto.
Jim

Richard Rushing
05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Was in Frisco today... every other home in the neighborhood I was in had roof displacement due to wind damage.

Pretty ugly sight...

Jerry McCarthy
05-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Richard
I don't see any evidence of 15# felt underlayment at that blown off hip?

Richard Rushing
05-09-2007, 03:42 PM
AaaaHah! Very astute grass-hopper.

:)

RR

Jim Luttrall
05-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Is anyone doing or know about insurance roof inspections? I had my agent ask me what I would charge and I had to admit I had never thought about it.

Mike Huppi
05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Richard
I don't see any evidence of 15# felt underlayment at that blown off hip?

Ok Richard. I ask again is it required to have felt under the shingles where you are at. I do not see any.

Im not a grass hopper maybe a weed hopper

william siegel
05-10-2007, 06:41 PM
A year and a half later, we still have roofs that look like that from Katrina and Wilma. It still amazes me how many inspectors do not walk the roof.

Rick Hurst
05-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Also with all the rain we've had these fellows are out in big numbers.

I seen this little guy today out back in someone's pond. The agent told me not to dare show it to the buyer.

It was the first thing I showed them on my camera when they walked up with the 2 yr. old.

Complete chaos. :D

Jim Luttrall
05-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah Rick, I have seen several snakes lately, two just today, one just a couple of inches from my hand in a pool skimmer...

Richard Rushing
05-11-2007, 05:42 AM
This one raised up and struck at my pants leg-- never even saw the lil taper til I almost stepped on his arse.

Rich

Richard Rushing
05-11-2007, 05:47 AM
Hey Jimbo,

Be careful with pools within 200 yards of a creek... I regularly find about 3-4 snakes in my swimming pool every year.

About a month ago I was repairing some wind blown fencing sections in my yard and while digging, I bet I dismembered atleast 6 in that one day. Hell ,they were all underground. I must have hit the mutha-load in that area. I was only sorry that I didn't have the fortitude to burn their asses with gasoline before doubling the visible population. :p

Rich