PDA

View Full Version : whitish deposits on chimney from gas furnace

Ken Meyer
09-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Any idea what is causing these whitish deposits on the chimney below the gas furnace flue? I know the chimney needs a lot of work. I could not get up to the top to take a good look, too steep for me!

Billy Stephens
09-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Ken,

Looks like Dryer Lint to me .

Raymond Wand
09-09-2008, 04:40 AM
Could be efflorescence, caused by a gap in the liner spilling combustion gases which are laiden with moisture or rain entry into the damaged cap.

wayne soper
09-09-2008, 05:14 AM
Ken, That looks like the cement paste they used to seal the liner connection mabey got rained on before it set up and some of it washed down the side of the chimney. You normally wouldn't have a round cap unless a new liner had been installed. If clay liner, square cap.

Brian Thomas
09-09-2008, 06:00 AM
I would have thought efflourescense too. But that doesnt really look like it to me. It looks more like something that spilled up there like wayne said.

Ken Meyer
09-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks Wayne & Brian,
There is a stainless steel liner visible going into the chimney from the basement. Assuming it goes all the way up, your idea makes sense. I'm not familiar with the cement paste you mentioned, I'll do some research on that. I'm going to stay in touch with the buyer and find out what the chimney guy has to say when he gets up there.

Jerry Peck
09-09-2008, 07:29 AM
It looks more like something that spilled up there like wayne said.

Something spilled or wash(ed)(ing) off.

There is some on that wire wrapping around the chimney, so it looks like something 'ran off and over the edge'.

wayne soper
09-09-2008, 08:20 AM
What he will say is,"why did they do all that when the rest looks like this"? The rest will be Italian or Spanish cursing under his breath.

Rick Hurst
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
GOT PIGEONS? :D