PDA

View Full Version : Rear Main Condo Supports

Ron Bibler
09-10-2008, 02:42 PM
These guys are the main support for the rear of this section of Condos. off the side of a hill. They have Checking/spliting to the logs. top to bottom. Some of the voids are up to 3 inch and extend to the center. Areas of the bottoms are infected with fungus. very soft... The cross bracing is affecting the checking/spliting condition... Im looking for any info on ways to repair or correct these condition without replacement...

What do you think. Repair or replace ?

Best

Ron

Ron Bibler
09-10-2008, 06:30 PM
A little help please.:D

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly
09-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Sorry Ron

My vote would be replaced. No sense in trying to repair what will have to be replaced anyway.

Ron Bibler
09-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks Ted.

Best

Ron

Billy Stephens
09-10-2008, 08:39 PM
----Replace

Ron
One Quick Fix. :D

Jerry Peck
09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
A little help please.:D

Im looking for any info on ways to repair or correct these condition without replacement...

Ron,

Ask a question like that "correct these condition without replacement" and "little help" is all you are going to get. :p

I am sure that a structural engineer can design a rolled steel plate, of sufficient thickness, sufficient length, have it hot dip galvanized (or, better yet, made out of stainless steel), and "repair" those.

But ... you were asking a bunch of home inspector fellas, and what do we know? :)

Ron Bibler
09-10-2008, 09:10 PM
YA. YA. YA. I Get it.

Best

Ron

Jerry Peck
09-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Ron,

DUDE!

CHILL!

:p

This is what I was thinking of - but 'Only her structural engineer knows for sure.' ;)

Ted Menelly
09-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Any kind of large collar type clamps would do. You just have to keep the wood from splitting wide open and the cable angle braces from coming loose. Maybe no something as elaborate as what Jerry drew but a less dramatic narrower type collar. Any metal fabricator could come up with something reasonable and inexpensive. They don't do something soon and there will be major repairs such as replacing all the posts.

Brandon Chew
09-11-2008, 07:43 AM
These guys are the main support for the rear of this section of Condos. off the side of a hill. They have Checking/spliting to the logs. top to bottom. Some of the voids are up to 3 inch and extend to the center. Areas of the bottoms are infected with fungus. very soft... The cross bracing is affecting the checking/spliting condition... Im looking for any info on ways to repair or correct these condition without replacement...

What do you think. Repair or replace ?

Best

Ron

Really, really, really needs to have a follow up inspection by a licensed professional engineer ASAP.

Based upon your description, if I was in a similar situation, I would notify the condo building owner and the building code official of my findings, in writing, by certified mail. People's lives may be at risk.

The ground north of San Francisco has a nasty habit of shaking and sliding, without warning, every now and then.