PDA

View Full Version : ATTIC SUPPORTS

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
HEY ALL

attic inspection this morning. it has fifteen year old shake shingles on it. the trusses look ok, then i spotted this weird web over bedroom. i tried to get to the base of this web--but almost went thru roof ,so backed off. wish i could have seen how they were secured,which i don't think was very correct. do you think this was just for supporting the sheathing when new roof was insatalled ?---give me your thoughts
thanks
charlie

Darrel Hood
09-11-2008, 06:32 PM
None of them are of the best practices level of construction or they would be strongbacks. It appears that all of them are attempts at purlins which are intended to shorten the effective spans of rafters. . .except the T arrangement in the forefront. I don't know of a reason to put a vertical brace to a collar tie, but they did it. The good news is that it doesn't appear they have done any harm.

Darrel Hood
DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES
(936)827-7664

Wayne Carlisle
09-12-2008, 06:31 AM
The first picture is a small hip (offset from main structure). What they have done was ....from left to right;
1. Brace the rafter (may be longer than can see in picture.
2. Brace the hip
3. Brace the main rafter for the hip
4. Brace the ridge where the hip, main rafter and hip meet the ridge
5. Brace the hip

All is good!

Second picture; the brace is going the wrong direction. The brace has to be perpendicular to the rafters and not more that a 45 degree angle from a 90 degree.

Maybe there was a wall to brace off of. If not they should have slide the purlin further down the rake.

James Bohac
09-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Appears to be struts for rafter support. These struts should be extending up from a load bearing wall. Strong backs should have been added. Not the usual configuration bu may be sufficient. I'd write it up as non-conventional rafter support.

Jerry McCarthy
09-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Looks like they only had one bearing point and used it? Could you determine that there was a bearing wall under that point? :confused: