PDA

View Full Version : Clarification Help

Dylan Whitehead
09-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Hopefully you guys can help. I have house that was struck by lightning and burned pretty much all of the attic. Now a contractor for the insurance company is trying to reuse as much as possible. I have told him that anything that has any smoke damage must be completly replaced. Am correct in stating this and if so where in the IRC could I find a referance? Any and all help is appreciated.

Ted Menelly
09-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi Dylan

Smoke damage in itself is not a bad thing as far as the framing goes. The drywall, wiring, good bit of the plumbing all affected by heat.
Unless the wood is actually scorched or heated to cracking it should be ok. If the entire attic was pretty much burnt then the roof comes off and salvage what you can in the frame down stairs. It is really to tough to call with out a good look. I use to do a lot of rehab after fires. Every home fired is different.

Rick Hurst
09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Dylan,

Is this your personal home or a home you've inspected?

I don't believe it is a requirement that the timbers have to be replaced just due to smoke, although they should be sealed.

rick

Wayne Carlisle
09-16-2008, 04:26 PM
I always say that if there is any charcoal on any part whatsoever then that piece gets replaced!

As others said smoke...not bad on wood...needs sealing!

Wiring and PVC look close!

How old is the house?

Jim Luttrall
09-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Struck by lightening = wiring damage, even without the fire.
Look close, probably cheaper to replace than to test and examine every piece of wire, lightening can do strange things.

Dylan Whitehead
09-17-2008, 07:01 AM
This is a house that I am having to inspect as it is being rebuilt. I will try to post some pics today. The house is going to be completly rewired. It had all aluminum wiring with some add ons that they spliced the aluminum wiring directly to copper. My main concern was the charred studs and top plates. The other concern was how well does the sealant work on keeping the smoke smell out.

Billy Stephens
09-17-2008, 07:32 AM
My main concern was the charred studs and top plates.

My understanding is if the damage is 1/4 inch or less of the framing members reuse is allowed.

The other concern was how well does the sealant work on keeping the smoke smell out.
If the sealant ( usually an Aluminum in color ) is applied correctly works very well .

Derek Lewis
09-17-2008, 12:07 PM
I've done a number of fire repairs when I was still contracting. Most of the building inspectors I worked with would only allow fire damage that was 1/8 inch or less.

Anytime I observe more than 1/8 inch fire damage, I will flag it on my report.