PDA

View Full Version : Why is this not enforced in Texas ??

Gene South
09-17-2008, 03:56 AM
I haven't jhad my coffee this morning so excuse me if this is a dumb question. I have read IRC information and elsewhere about the attic firewall requirements between an attached garage and the main residence. I am in Texas and hardly ever see this enforced or being a part of construction practices here, in single family homes. My question is why is this not enforced in (Dallas area) Texas ?? Am I missing something ?

(When I see attic firewalls, they are in condo/Townhouse/multifamily buildings), not single family.

Erby Crofutt
09-17-2008, 04:45 AM
Call the local building official and ask them?

We can speculate. They can answer.

-

Jim Luttrall
09-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Gene, can you cite the portion of the code you are talking about?
From what I understand, fire walls, are not required IF there is a separation with a minimum of 1/2 gypsum over the common walls and ceiling on the garage side of the attached garage.
Got to run.

Bob Spermo
09-17-2008, 06:21 AM
Gene

I don't believe the IRC requires that separation. It requires 1/2" gypsum on the garage side between the garage and living spaces. It also requires 5/8' gypsum on the garage ceiling if the room above is habitable. See R309.2 of the IRC.

Gene South
09-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Hi Jim, I see you are in Allen so you know in the DFW area we see garage attics and house attics as one combined attic space all the time. Sometimes the garage hatch is the only attic access for the main house. My question was whether there is a firewall code to separate the garage attic from the main residence attic ? I think there is not because thousands of DFW houses are built with one common attic covering the house and attached garage and it is unlikely that many homes would be built out of code unless there is something that I am missing. The reason this came up in the first palce is I got some info from ASHI, that lead me to believe it was a code and they also mentioned it would be reinforeced in the 2006 IRC code. So the ASHI info lead me to ask the question. That is all I know. I did not read it in the 2003 IRC.

Thanks

Gene

Jerry Peck
09-17-2008, 07:59 AM
My question was whether there is a firewall code to separate the garage attic from the main residence attic ?

Yes and no, or, it depends.

*IF* the garage ceiling has 1/2" gypsum board installed on it, then no.

*IF* the garage ceiling is open trusses, then the 1/2" gypsum board on the wall to the house must extend up into the attic to the bottom of the roof sheathing.

The requirement is to separate the garage from 'the living space and its attic', installing 1/2" gypsum board on the garage ceiling does that.

Wayne Carlisle
09-17-2008, 07:59 AM
R309.2 Separation required. The garage shall be separated
fromthe residence and its attic area by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7
mm) gypsum board applied to the garage side. Garages beneath
habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms
above by not less than 5/8-inch (15.9 mm) Type X gypsum board
or equivalent. Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly,
the structure supporting the separation shall also be protected by
not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board or equivalent.
Garages located less than 3 feet (914 mm) from a dwelling unit
on the same lot shall be protected with not less than 1/2-inch (12.7
mm) gypsum board applied to the interior side of exterior walls
that are within this area. Openings in these walls shall be regulated
by SectionR309.1. This provision does not apply to garage
walls that are perpendicular to the adjacent dwelling unit wall.

There is a solid bar beside this section so this means the section had a technical change to it!

The garage does not need a separation wall between the attic and garage!

Jerry Peck
09-17-2008, 08:21 AM
The garage does not need a separation wall between the attic and garage!
Wayne,

Actually, that answer is *not always* correct.

Your answer *is not* correct if the ceiling in the garage is open to the garage attic. As I stated above, if that is the case, then the garage wall DOES need to extend up into the attic.

This is the 2003 IRC code. (underlining is mine)

R309.2 Separation required. The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than 5/8-inch (15.9 mm) Type X gypsum board or equivalent. Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly, the structure supporting the separation shall also be protected by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board or equivalent.

WHEN the separation is not a floor-ceiling assembly ... you go back to the first requirement: "The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the garage side."

"the garage side" goes from the floor to the roof sheathing above.

Wayne Carlisle
09-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Jerry. I knew that! I guess I shoud have been a little more clear. I was refering to (which I didn't say) a separation wall going from the top plate of the wall between the garage and the living space up to the deck like they are required to do in townhomes.

I post comments thinking that everybody should know what I am thinking! You mean you guys can't read my mind?:D

I will be more specific on my comments from here on out!

I'm not going to say you are right because there may be "someone" that might get offended by your knowledge! I wonder who????:rolleyes:

Thanks for catching me on my thoughts that weren't totally expressed! Dang....now I'm confusing myself!!!:eek: