PDA

View Full Version : foundation vertical rebar spacing

Markus Keller
09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi guys, does anyone have a reference for vertical rebar spacing protruding up from the foundation wall into the CMU during the first few courses. I usually see 24" oc or 48" oc on most plans. One page on current plan seems to show 16"oc, another page detail shows 24" oc. Plan doesn't match on many details. Builder has the rebar installed unevenly all over the place, spread between rebar is anywhere between 55"-80". I can't remember seeing that wide and uneven spread on any other builds.
I did the ground CI today and emailed client report tonight. I know this will be an issue come Monday. Along with the 2x4's supporting the cast sewer line, uneven spray-on foam insulation and on and on.
Thanks for any help, Markus

Jerry Peck
09-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Basically, rule of thumb:

- at each corner

- at each opening, one on each side of opening

- every 48" (unless specified otherwise - which is the part not right on your plans; with plans, the drawings are considered 'general in nature', when there is a conflict between the drawings and a detail, the detail rules; when there is a conflict between the drawings and a section, the section rules; when there is a conflict between the drawings and the specifications, the specifications rule; that said, if the drawings are *more restrictive* than the detail, I would use the most restrictive - let the builder provide back up for using the less restrictive; that is when an RFI - Request For Information - is sent out to the architect or engineer, they respond with which they want, and that RFI now becomes the ruling specification

- additionally, one under each load bearing point for girder trusses

All the above are 'typical' 'rule of thumb', which pales in comparison to the real plans, drawings, details, sections, RFIs, etc., for that project.

Markus Keller
09-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info Jerry. It should be interesting come Monday/Tuesday. GC already hates me for telling him "the keyway is one of the worst I've seen in years".