PDA

View Full Version : ground rod

Kevin Rutledge
09-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm sorry, but I am new. Please have patience with me. I am confused, if you have a ground wire on the metal water pipe from the main panel, do you have to have a ground rod also? Thanks in advance.

Bruce Ramsey
09-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Depends.

Is the metal water pipe completely metal or did someone patch in some plastic and break the continuity?

Does the metal pipe go at least 20 feet horizontal underground?

If the metal pipe truely goes to ground, a driven rod is not needed. If the metal pipe does not go to ground, then the metal pipe does not ground the electrical system and there would need to be a driven rod.

Kevin Rutledge
09-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Thank you. I was getting some conflicting answers on that one.

Raymond Wand
09-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Also see

House ground rod or pipe - Self Help Forums (http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=8484)

Cheers,

Jim Port
09-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Depends.

Is the metal water pipe completely metal or did someone patch in some plastic and break the continuity?

Does the metal pipe go at least 20 feet horizontal underground?

If the metal pipe truely goes to ground, a driven rod is not needed. If the metal pipe does not go to ground, then the metal pipe does not ground the electrical system and there would need to be a driven rod.

The metallic pipe is only required to be in direct contact with earth of 10 feet, not 20.

250.53(D)(2) also requires a supplemental electrode of which the rod is one way to satisfy this requirement.

Expected you to catch this Jerry.

Jerry Peck
09-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Expected you to catch this Jerry.

Jerry just now read this thread. ;)

John Steinke
10-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Grounding is a topic where the 'right' answer is determined by both age and locale.

A pre-WW2 home, with a fuse box, was likely installed with a water bond only as the grounding means.

If the service has been upgraded since then, or the home was built between WW2 and this millenium, it should have some manner of grounding electrode, in addition to the water bond. This grounding electrode is most often a ground rod; many places required at least two, set at least six feet apart. There are, however, other acceptable ways to make this electrode.

In the past decade, many places are requiring the use of a "Ufer" type ground on new construction.