View Full Version : What's it called again when the soil cracks excessivly?

Marc M
09-20-2008, 09:22 PM
In the crawl space I've only seen this a couple of times. The soil cracks almost like it was dried out but the cracks are super deep and wide. I cant remember what it's called?
I noticed a lot of efflorescence on and along side the stem walls. I can only assume its from past and/or excessive moisture, but I remember it having some kind of structural significance. Anyone?

Marc M
09-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Oh yes, there were foundation issues. In fact I found (at every stem wall) the most numerous, and the largest cracks that I have ever seen in one crawlspace. Here's just one of about 15 in a 1500sq ft house.

Jerry Peck
09-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Expansive soil.

No visible steel reinforcement in foundation walls and footings. (With those kind of cracks, I doubt there is any steel in them.)

Foundation problems, have structural engineer design appropriate repairs.

Advise your client to make sure the structural engineer addresses this before going forward with any other purchase expenses, it could well be a biggie (of them may decide to just let the flop house drift along without them).