PDA

View Full Version : gas water heater fittings

wes owens
05-09-2007, 08:05 PM
I wanted to get your thoughts on this setup of the cpvc supply lines being this close to the vent pipe and running over the top of the vent pipe.

I also wanted to know if the curve in the vent pipe is ok.

I talked to a contractor that told me about this client he had a while back.
The client had a gas water heater in the attic and the cpvc lines were too close to the vent pipe.

Apparently the client, not having enough patience to wait for the hot water to get to the rear bathroom faucets, cranked up the setting on the water heater.

The higher temps caused the supply line to split and caused $15,000.000 worth of water damage as it ran down through the ceiling and into the living space.

Oh, and I'm also noting the absent Seismic Straps.

Tim Moreira
05-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Isn't it supposed to go up one foot before making any turns or bends???

Also, just got the Watts videos in. That guy should have watched the one on scalding. Water temp vs. time to create burns. Ouch.

Doesn't that bladder need some kinda of support???

Tim Moreira
05-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Wes,

Just out of couriousity, where did the TPR pipe discharge to?

wes owens
05-09-2007, 08:20 PM
The exterior.

Jerry Peck
05-09-2007, 08:31 PM
I don't think that expansion tank is to be mounted sideway like that.

That's a lot of weight for the fitting to support without breaking.

wes owens
05-09-2007, 08:44 PM
What about the other stuff?

Bob Harper
05-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Need 12" rise straight off draft hood
need draft hood connector
support of B-vent in 3 axis
need 6" clearance off draft hood and any single walled pipe
need minimum vent height per WH mfr.
Is that ceiling joist system capable of supporting ~400 lbs?
pan?
TPR discharge?
straps?
Access with plywood decking in front of WH?

Mounting of expansion tank may comply with mfr--note mfr. model, serial and get manual before you shoot it down. That tank has a diaphragm and is not full of water unless the diaphragm ruptured. Should be a shutoff to tank so it can be isolated if need be. Did you note the pressure at the Shraeder valve with an ordinary air gauge? Does no good if not properly charged.

What is the house water pressure? Is there a pressure reducing valve or check valve at the water supply just downstream of the meter?

Jerry Peck
05-10-2007, 03:28 PM
That tank has a diaphragm and is not full of water unless the diaphragm ruptured.

Not "full" of water, but 'partially full', enough to add weight to an already heavy tank sticking out off that fitting like that.