PDA

View Full Version : Garage insulation

wayne soper
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
interested in your thoughts on this. These guys glue in screwed rigid foam insulation to the ceiling of the garage. Presumably to upgrade PR factor to the bedroom above without tearing down the plaster ceilings that are present above it. This house is gone through local inspections and passed, presumably, but was wondering what you thought about how it would affect the fire rating of the garage. Would you call that it should be covered with another layer of sheet rock?

Billy Stephens
09-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Wayne,

The Manufacturer States it is Combustible (and is not installed per their instructions.)

My Vote is to Remove it or cover with at least 1/2 in. drywall.

Jerry Peck
09-23-2008, 12:57 PM
The garage does not have a fire rating.

That extends out from the left wall only a short way, does it then turn and go upward, as the side of the bedroom above?

If so, first and foremost, there needs to be 5/8" Type X gypsum board on that portion of the ceiling and the garage side of the wall of that bedroom.

That would be code minimum.

Now, do you protect the garage from that stuff catching on fire? That gets complicated.

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)

- SECTION R314
- - FOAM PLASTIC

- - - R314.1 General. The provisions of this section shall govern the materials, design, application, construction and installation of foam plastic materials.

- - - - R314.4 Thermal barrier. Unless otherwise allowed in Section 314.5 or Section R314.6, foam plastic shall be separated from the interior of a building by an approved thermal barrier of minimum 0.5 inch (12.7 mm) gypsum wallboard or an approved finish material equivalent to a thermal barrier material that will limit the average temperature rise of the unexposed surface to no more than 250°F (139°C) after 15 minutes of fire exposure complying with the ASTM E 119 standard time temperature curve. The thermal barrier shall be installed in such a manner that it will remain in place for 15 minutes based on NFPA 286 with the acceptance criteria of Section R315.4, FM 4880, UL 1040 or UL 1715.

"Unless otherwise allowed in Section 314.5 or Section R314.6,"

That's the "That gets complicated." part.

wayne soper
09-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks Guys, Not complicated for me. I think it should be covered. Just wanted your opinions. They can jump around and dance and do whatever they want.

Billy Stephens
09-23-2008, 02:58 PM
They can jump around and dance and do whatever they want.
Ask them to Provide The Manufacture's Installation Instructions. :D

wayne soper
09-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Billy, I need your link to those avatars. Man you make me laugh, Thanks
Hey did you see Boo weekly riding the driver and slapping his a$$? I thought I was the only guy who did that on the course.

Billy Stephens
09-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey did you see Boo weekly riding the driver and slapping his a$$?
Don't Play or watch golf. ( Rather take a 12 gauge out and Shoot Something. ) ;)
Here's one of Many. Animated Avatars: Humongous free avatars collection for Forums or MySpace! (http://www.animatedavatars.org)

wayne soper
09-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Well then You and Boo Weekly have something in common.HE would rather be out hunting also. Thanks buddy and HEEEHAW