PDA

View Full Version : One Of Those Days

Jim Robinson
09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm already starting the inspection a couple hours later than I want to so that the client can be present. Of course, she's got a million questions which is dragging things out quite a bit. No big deal, just another day.

Then the overhead garage door won't move. I've got power, but nothing. I mess around for about 10 minutes, and can't even get the manual operation to work. It's a newer iDrive type lift, which I've never inspected. After a few phone calls, it turns out there is a battery in the touch pad on the wall, which I've also never seen before. Battery is dead, no new one on site. Time to move on.

Washing machine floods onto floor, and won't pump out the water in the tub. Another 20 minutes, and moving on.

Almost done, talking to the client in the lower hallway. One last half bath and finally finished. I pull the door shut while talking to her in the hallway. Click. Locked out of the bathroom. For some reason, this door has a straight up keyed lock on it, not just the interior lock, but the real deal. There are absolutely no keys for this house at all. Both doors have electronic push buttons, and half of the doors have masking tape over the locks so that you won't lock them. Of course, not this door.

Seller won't be enjoying the news that he needs to bring over a locksmith to open the bathroom door, but I don't know any other way in. They're living in another state.

I'm sure you've all been there. Oh well, back to the report.

Jim Robinson
09-23-2008, 08:04 PM
The funny thing is the client's father used to have a locksmith business in town. He's no longer around, but she said if she had her tools she could probably pick it herself. I'll have to learn how to do that someday.

Jack Feldmann
09-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Get a flexible plastic ruler (think thin). Interior doors are usually very easy to open with the credit card thing, but the flexible ruler slides right in and the door pops open, AND you don't mess up your credit card trying it.

If that doesn't work, a 10# sledge (with a good backswing) to the doorknob works every time.