PDA

View Full Version : Protrusion from roof

Stephen G Sheldon
09-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know what that could be sticking out of the roof between the plumbing vent and the roof vent?

Raymond Wand
09-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Central vac exhaust?

Brandon Whitmore
09-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Looks like a roof anchor/ tie off point (called a "super anchor" in my area). If that is the case, it may be missing the plastic/ rubber cap that is needed to prevent leakage (I can't tell if I see metal or plastic at the top).........not that I've seen ones with a missing cap actually leak.

When you were in the attic, you would have seen 2 metal brackets run through the sheathing. They should have been fastened to either side of the rafter/ truss chord. (if I am correct on what it is)

Evan Grugett
09-27-2008, 06:00 AM
It appears to be a 3" or a 4" PVC pipe, too large for a central vac exhaust (usually 2"). In my area the central vac exhaust never comes through the roof. It exits near the bottom of the building. The house is too new for the pipe to be an overflow from an old gravity HW heating system tank in the attic. Check the attic for the bottom side of the penetration, that may shed some light on this.

Raymond Wand
09-27-2008, 06:02 AM
As suggested in another thread on the same topic, it could be some type of antennae. The picture is not revealing enough.

Rick Bunzel
09-27-2008, 07:22 AM
It appears to be the Osha required tie-off. These tie-offs typically have a black plastic hood that goes over them. If you look in the attic you will see a U-bolt going over a rafter and an additional 2x4 sistered to the rafter. Is this is in a housing tract every home will have at least one.

//Rick

Jerry Peck
09-27-2008, 07:29 AM
As suggested in another thread on the same topic,

It does make it confusing to have two threads on the same topic, by the same person, one day apart. Means having to look in both places for information.

I'm going with the OSHA tie-offs.

Raymond Wand
09-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Never seen a tie-off which is standing. Up here the tie-off is a nylon strap wrapped around rafter and exterior portion just has an O-ring tie off on the nylon strap. Must be a regional difference.

Mike Schulz
10-02-2008, 03:29 PM
They are flat stainless steel with an eyelet. They are 2 piece sandwich together and tack welded along the edge. The plastic cap is to keep it from leaking along the seam. There is a rubber boot and the plastic cap is zip stripped to the rubber boot.
Super Anchor Fall Protection Page 1 (http://www.westernsafety.com/superanchor/superanchorpg1.html)

Brent Simmerman
10-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Some newer homes around here have PSD (passive soil depressurization) system for Radon. That will be a 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe protruding from the roof.