PDA

View Full Version : pump strainer drain?

Jerome W. Young
09-27-2008, 05:47 AM
Anyone know what this is exactly and what it is for? Never seen one. it had a valve and a tube that appears to be used to drain the strainer baset area.

Jerry Peck
09-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Jerome,

I don't recall having seen one before either, but it may have a different purpose.

While it is located at the bottom of the strainer basket where a drain would be, I can't think of why it would have a drain there (and none of the ones I've seen had a drain there), so, maybe it is for an intake from a chlorination unit?

That strainer basket is under negative pressure, so it would be sucking in whatever was being fed into that tube.

Looks like the red coupling/connector end is broken, which may be why the two pieces are separated.

(I rotated the photo so 'up' is 'up'. Either that or Von has an uncanny ability to stand horizontally from the side of vertical surfaces. ;) )

Dom D'Agostino
09-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Almost every pool pump has a drain port (or 2) in the bottom, but not a valve like that. That looks like a Hayward pump. The drain ports are for "winterizing" the equipment.

What was on the other end of the disconnected hose/line?

Jerome W. Young
10-02-2008, 03:15 PM
nothing was attached , strange

Rick Hurst
10-02-2008, 03:23 PM
As Dom said it is probably for winterizing the pump housing.

rick

Jerry Peck
10-02-2008, 05:14 PM
As Dom said it is probably for winterizing the pump housing.

In Vero Beach?

Of course, though, I guess there 'are' areas of the country where things 'do' need to be winterized. :p

Rick Hurst
10-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Jerry,

Got me there. I didn't notice where Jerome was from.:D

Maybe its a water balloon fill tube.

rick

Billy Stephens
10-02-2008, 05:57 PM
In Vero Beach?

Of course, though, I guess there 'are' areas of the country where things 'do' need to be winterized. :p
A Yankee Brung It With Him.

Joe Klampfer
10-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Anyone know what this is exactly and what it is for? Never seen one. it had a valve and a tube that appears to be used to drain the strainer baset area.

Kinda looks like a pressure switch or a water level switch to prevent the system from being energized while dry ??