PDA

View Full Version : Question on foam insulation in a kneewall attic

Ernie Simpson
09-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I inspected a very upscale home for a relo company a couple of days ago. I'd like feedback on the presence of foam insulation in a crawlspace attic. Both extruded polystyrene and a polyisocyanurate insulation boards were present.
I know these can't be exposed in a basement or living space, but what about a kneewall attic adjacent to living space. The doors to the space were not all fire rated.
Looking for answers before I do this report so this doesn't come back to bite me.

Gunnar Alquist
09-28-2008, 12:37 PM
I inspected a very upscale home for a relo company a couple of days ago. I'd like feedback on the presence of foam insulation in a crawlspace attic. Both extruded polystyrene and a polyisocyanurate insulation boards were present.
I know these can't be exposed in a basement or living space, but what about a kneewall attic adjacent to living space. The doors to the space were not all fire rated.
Looking for answers before I do this report so this doesn't come back to bite me.

Ernie,

I can't imagine it to be a problem. Obviously, if this is installed between studs, there will be gaps where the panel is cut and stuffed into the stud bay, but that should not be a huge deal. If you have specific concerns regarding the method of installation, checking the manufacturer's website would be your best bet.

Herb Scott
10-01-2008, 05:28 AM
Good Question. I've seen it at a number of locations, with the label stating that it must be covered with approved material / 1/2 inch drywall. If I can see any foam insulation, either sprayed or board form, I call it and make my client aware of the potential concerns. Weather or not it needs to be covered in a knee-wall , crawlspace or an attic likely depends on the manufacture,s requirements and / or the municipality's requirements.