PDA

View Full Version : Weep holes at Vertical edge

Reis Pearson
09-29-2008, 10:11 PM
So today I had several windows where the weep holes are located at the vertical edge (in the attached photo along the right edge not at the bottom edge, where I suspect gravity is likely to take the water). Is there any reason this would be proper? I've written it up as improper installation but just want to make sure (if it were one window I might be positive, but 6-8 was this guy just an idiot?!)

Kevin Barre
09-30-2008, 05:56 AM
If you are sure they are weep holes, (I can't see them in the pic, but I can't imagine anything else they would be) then they are in the wrong place if they are on a side. My guess is that the manufacturer assembled the frames assuming that the windows were to be installed with the long side parallel to the ground, not perpendicular to it. If it was ordered properly, the one shown should be tempered glass due to its location near the door. That should have clued someone in that the window was to be installed vertically.

Jerry Peck
09-30-2008, 06:26 AM
18x48 or 48x18 ... what's the difference? It still fits in the opening. :eek: (Or so he thinks. :rolleyes: )

I agree, while I can't see the weep holes either (I do see dark shadows where the weep holes would be in the corners), but you were there and you saw them, so, yes, the window was likely intended to be installed horizontally and not vertically like that.

By the way, that railing is not anchored at the window end, will it resist the force it is supposed to? Did you push against it to see if it was wobbly or strong? How close to the window was the end? Could a 4" sphere fit between the end of the railing and the window? Not good if it could.

Reis Pearson
09-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Excellent... Thanks gentleman... and yes, I did "catch" the fact that there was no safety glazing stamp and the railing.

Cheers,
Reis