PDA

View Full Version : Concrete tile roof

Reis Pearson
09-29-2008, 11:40 PM
We (or I) don't see many of this style of roof up here... Question is about the counter flashing (or lack there of) at the chimney. On a brick chimney/3-tab I'd call for it, but what about this installation?? This is a SW side chimney and inside at the lower corner of the chimney there is a patch toward the ceiling/wall and I suspect there was a previous leak. Would calling out the lack of counter flashing be appropriate?

Jerry Peck
09-30-2008, 06:43 AM
Hard to tell from the photos, but zooming in to 400% kinda sorta looks like the flashing around that exhaust vent is on top of the tile, which would indicate a System 1 tile roof.

If so, there are two ways to flash up against that chimney: 1) with flashing coming out over the the tile from the chimney (this is done with sheet lead and contoured to fit the tile); 2) under the tile with flashing which has a turned up edge to catch rain and keep it from getting under the tile.

You guys get a lot of rain up there, so I would think it would 'not' be a System 1, but it sure looks like it.

With a 'other than System 1' (i.e., System 2, System 3, System 4) that chimney flashing would be under the tile and not visible.

Can't tell if that is a patch or not by the fireplace rock, you were there and you are calling it a patch, kinda sorta looks like from when they put the rock veneer up.

I would call out the stain/repair as 'looks to me as ... ', and then you will get some type of answer back, one which might fill in the gaps for you. If not sure, at least bring it to your client's attention. 'Yep, looks like it was a leak to me, could have been this, or this, or this, though.'

Sometimes we just don't know, and have to make our best guess, what we call "our professional opinion". As in "It is my professional opinion that looks like ... "

Reis Pearson
09-30-2008, 06:57 AM
Jerry,
Two questions... where could I find the "specs" on type 1, 2, 3 style of installation (not that I come across them often, but I'm a knowledge whore). Two, you are always quick to be able to site code... I assume your copying and pasting from something instead of typing all of that... could you recommend a searchable code cd/cds that I could purchase?

Thanks, your information is invaluable and I feel humbled to be apart of the free info!!

Reis

Reis Pearson
09-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Here's a little closer...

Jerry Peck
09-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Two questions... where could I find the "specs" on type 1, 2, 3 style of installation

Pick the one for your climate: MonierLifetile.com - Technical Tools: Installation Guides (http://www.monierlifetile.com/technicaltools/installation.html) (probably Cold and Snow Climates: http://www.monierlifetile.com/technicaltools/pdf/Cold%20&%20Snow%20Roof_Manual.pdf ).

Two, you are always quick to be able to site code... I assume your copying and pasting from something instead of typing all of that... could you recommend a searchable code cd/cds that I could purchase?

From the ICC store: ICC Product Store - Main Menu - Category Listing (http://www.iccsafe.org/e/category.html)

wayne soper
09-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Kinda looks to me that that stone is a veneer in which case the flashing would be behind and under the applied stone surface and then step flashed like the side wall of a home. That lower section sure looks like step flashing coming out from under that tile. Just my thoughts.Wasn't there. Not my fault.

Jerry Peck
09-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Kinda looks to me that that stone is a veneer in which case the flashing would be behind and under the applied stone surface and then step flashed like the side wall of a home.

Normally, the flashing is behind it all, no step flashing (not with tile roofs).

That lower section sure looks like step flashing coming out from under that tile.

That's a confusing part for me too, and another reason I suspect it is a System 1 tile roof. The sidewall flashing is likely flashed to the wall behind the stone and the stucco, with the roof base of the flashing having a turned up edge to keep the water back, then, they transitioned from one type of flashing (the flashing underneath with the turned up edge) to another type of flashing (lead sheet directing the water out and over the top of the tile below.

I've seen similar installations and that is a weak point as the sheet lead flashing must start under the end of the other flashing, then be formed (bent) upward and out over the top of the tile below it. Even though the top of the tile is below the end of the other flashing, the lead sheet flashing must transition from one plane (the roof plane) to another plane (the top of the tile plane), doing so creates an area which holds water. As long as the lead holds up with no corrosion and no holes or pin holes, that works ... but then ... it gets holes in it and does not work anymore.