PDA

View Full Version : GFCI outlet at jacuzzi tub

Jody Humbert
10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
When I first started inspecting homes around 2 1/2 years ago, I would view under the jacuzzi tubs inside the framing for any issues. I was seeing a lot of unsecured outlets(GFCI or standard with GFCI breaker in Panel) just laying on the subflooring. I would write this up as defective and recommend securing to framing for safety and call for further evaluation by a qualified electrician. I never could get a reply from the local building inspector. I have since called multiple electricians who have said it is a none issue because the local building inspector allows this. I would appreciate any comments. I'm not going to continue to write it up if I get no help from the trades or local building inspectors. This just makes me look bad and needless money is being spent for evaluation. Thanks

wayne soper
10-01-2008, 10:59 AM
All boxes are required to be properly attached to teh framing, whether the local B.S.A's allow it or not.

Jerry McCarthy
10-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Jody
All receptacle outlets should be secured, even those under whirlpool bathtubs.
And by the way, unless those tubs you’re inspecting are actually manufactured by Jacuzzi I would stop referring to them by that name. Use the terminology “whirlpool” or “therapeutic” bathtubs, not Jacuzzi which is a brand name and highly protected by the folks at Jacuzzi. The codes refer to them as “whirlpool bathtubs.” See IRC 2006 #2720.

Jody Humbert
10-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I will continue to write them up. I am also going to try to contact the local authority and ask why they are not enforcing this.

Gunnar Alquist
10-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Jody
All receptacle outlets should be secured, even those under whirlpool bathtubs.
And by the way, unless those tubs you’re inspecting are actually manufactured by Jacuzzi I would stop referring to them by that name. Use the terminology “whirlpool” or “therapeutic” bathtubs, not Jacuzzi which is a brand name and highly protected by the folks at Jacuzzi. The codes refer to them as “whirlpool bathtubs.” See IRC 2006 #2720.

I thought they were referred to as "hydromassage".

Jerry McCarthy
10-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Gunner
Hydromassagae works for me but the codes refer to them as "Whirlpool Bathtubs" so that's probably the safest road to travel, you think?

Jim Luttrall
10-01-2008, 04:19 PM
IRC 2003 - E4102 uses "hydromassage bathtubs", so pretty much either term would be OK if using the code book terms.

Jerry Peck
10-02-2008, 10:04 AM
From the 2006 IRC.

SECTION P2720
WHIRLPOOL BATHTUBS

SECTION E4109
- HYDROMASSAGE BATHTUBS
- - HYDROMASSAGE BATHTUB. A permanently installed bathtub equipped with a recirculating piping system, pump, and associated equipment. It is designed so it can accept, circulate and discharge water upon each use.

From the NEC. (any edition)
- ARTICLE 680 Swimming Pools, Fountains, and Similar Installations
- - 680.2 Definitions.
- - - Hydromassage Bathtub. A permanently installed bathtub equipped with a recirculating piping system, pump, and associated equipment. It is designed so it can accept, circulate, and discharge water upon each use.
- - VII. Hydromassage Bathtubs

They are, then, by most codes and by definition, "hydromassage bathtubs".