PDA

View Full Version : kitchen remodel

Dave Hildebrand
10-07-2008, 05:38 AM
First let me apologize by saying I'm not a inspector or contractor, just a homeowner who doesn't know when to say when. My wife thinks I'm handy.

We are in the middle of a small 10x13 kitchen remodel. However it being small it does require lam beams. One for the kitchen ceiling joists and one for the roof structure.

The one for the ceiling joists is no big deal. However the roof structure beam is where we are running into problems. If we install it under the top plates it pushes it below the ceiling line and will be visible from below. If we install on top it will run into the roof rafters.

What options do I have for alternative installation?

Please see attached pics

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Ron Bibler
10-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Dave. you should contact a Structural Engineer in your area. The cost is not that big of a deal. They can help you with placement of that roof framing. Sorry not much help other then that.

Best

Ron

wayne soper
10-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Boy, it looks like you're in deep already.
I think the top plate could be removed and set the rafter ends on top of the beam. Might have to change the notch to fit the beam though. Was that beam engineered for size. How did you determine the size required?
Can you add a detail ( recessed area.) to the ceiling and add 1 1/2 inches to the bottom of the other beam to even it out? Thats the easy way out but don't know what's to the left of the inside beam. Dining room?
I bet she wants a smooth ceiling to run right through huh?
Get 2 screw jacks, that way you can cut the plate out and screw that thing right up without pulling it down.
Don't forget to resupport the roof before the cutting.

wayne soper
10-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Yes, I also have to add to have an SE or at least a local contractor look and / or help. DId you do that all on your own. Your wife didn't help you set those did she. If she did then we can all balme it on her and all is good. HAHA
Mabey some more pics of the room to the left also.

Eric Barker
10-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Dave,

What's the project for? Skylight? Expansion outward? Keep up with the Jones'? One thing you need to keep in mind is how you're transferring loads to load carrying components - the load paths. An engineer (licensed preferred) would be a worthwhile consideration. While the pics help it's still difficult to get the overall feel of the project.

Jerry Peck
10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Like the others, not sure what you are wanting to remove or add.

A structural engineer (licensed/registered is *the only* one to use, so they can sign and seal whatever plan they give you) is needed.

In those photos, can you identify what you have already added?

Can you identify what you want to remove?

That would help.

wayne soper
10-08-2008, 07:15 AM
I was getting from the photo that he already installed both beams but found one was 1 1/2 inches lower due to the 2x4 plate on top of it that the rafters are nailed into. Is that correct?

Dave Hildebrand
10-09-2008, 04:20 AM
Appreciate everyones replies:

From the feedback it sounds like I should get a hands on look from a pro at whats going.

The jist is were removing two sections of lam 2x10's that are supported by a load baring wall in the middle of the room. When we replace these sections with new lam beams(24' length) the room will open up to a approx 24x24 kitchen/hearth room.

The one beam will support ceiling joist's and the other roof structure.

Thanks again for ever ones input!:)