PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to pull my ladder up or What?

Dan Hagman
10-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I did an inspection and I left the buyer on the ground to read his inspection agreement. I went on the roof and over the top to the other side. When I looked up he was standing on the roof ridge. :mad: I'm thinking do I need to pull my ladder up on the roof or what? Has this ever happen to any of you or am I just so new I screwd up? Yes..... we both got down safely.

Question #2
I just bought a Little Giant Ladder and I thought it was great until I tried to get on the roof. The top and bottom of these ladders spread out and it makes it a pain to get on and off the roof. Maybe I need to run it up way higher than usual to get the spread out of my way. Any thoughts?

Dan
ProSite Home Inspections

Jerry Peck
10-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I did an inspection and I left the buyer on the ground to read his inspection agreement. I went on the roof and over the top to the other side. When I looked up he was standing on the roof ridge. :mad: I'm thinking do I need to pull my ladder up on the roof or what? Has this ever happen to any of you or am I just so new I screwd up? Yes..... we both got down safely.

Yes, it has happened to me, and, most likely to many if not most inspectors.

You can only advise them just so much, and impress upon them that they are not covered by your insurance, they will be covered by the homeowners insurance, and if they want to get permission from the owner to go up on the roof ... and to use the owners ladder - not yours ... do so, otherwise - STAY OFF MY LADDER AND THE ROOF.

Sometimes, though, you will still find them on the roof when you turn around ...

I never had to resort to pulling my ladder up after me, and I only had a couple come up after me after I warned them - maybe you need to do this: Pull out a preprinted sheet of paper which states, in bold 72 point type, I AM RISKING MY OWN LIFE AND LIMB BY GOING WHERE MY HOME INSPECTOR SAYS NOT TO, WHICH INCLUDES AREAS SUCH AS: THE ROOF, CRAWLSPACES, ATTICS, AND OTHER AREAS.

Then have them sign it.

Finally, after they sign that, give them a permanent marker and tell them to write 'Right Arm' and 'Left Arm' on their arms so the hospital surgical team will know which arm goes where after you fall and are injured. :)

Question #2
I just bought a Little Giant Ladder and I thought it was great until I tried to get on the roof. The top and bottom of these ladders spread out and it makes it a pain to get on and off the roof. Maybe I need to run it up way higher than usual to get the spread out of my way. Any thoughts?

Dan,

I also used the Little Giant ladder (any of the knock-off are the same way).

I (for one) have *ALWAYS* hated going up a ladder, having it extend up 3 feet beyond the edge of the roof (as OSHA requires) and then having to *STEP AROUND* that sucker ... so, I only put my ladder up just high enough to reach the roof and be stable at the lower height where it locks in place, when I go up on the roof, I simply go up and over the top of the ladder ... no 'going around' it.

I you wanted to, you could make two rail extensions which would project up the required 3 feet above the roof, make them removable for when you are not using the ladder or for when you are using the ladder differently.

I though about that many times, just never did it.

Rick Hurst
10-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Dan,

It has happened to me also. You immediately start thinking if this guy was to fall I'm in trouble.

Usually, I try to show up a bit early for an inspection and try to look at the roof first. I only do this if the roof appears to be in decent condition. If I see anything suspicious I don't walk the roof till I observe the attic space to determine if any problems may be present with the framing or decking.

When clients want to walk the roof, I just tell them my insurance does not provide coverage for their injury and they are not allowed to use my equipment. That usually gives them the hint.

Others, I have to say NO you can't walk the roof.

rick

John Arnold
10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
I had to tell a woman Monday that I really needed her to stay on the ground. Somebody needed to be down there to call 911 if necessary. She got the idea.

I say something similar when clients try to help me with the electric panel. "Someone has to be conscious to call 911".

Dan Hagman
10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Jerry, Rick, Fritz and John
Thanks for the reply, good ideas and thanks. :) I guess I need to make sure I tell them so they understand.

Jerry, good Idea about the ladder, thanks alot. I will try that next time, maybe on my own roof first to try it out.

Dan

Scott Patterson
10-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Yep, It has happened to me as well.

With my LG I always have the top part a good two feet or better above the roof. It gives you something to hold onto when getting on and off. If I can't do that then the roof is too high for me and it is not safe for me to get on. I then pullout the binoculars and do the best I can. I also note how I inspected the roof and if not by walking why I could not walk the roof.

Nick Ostrowski
10-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I say something similar when clients try to help me with the electric panel. "Someone has to be conscious to call 911".

I just hand my clients a broomstick and tell them to use it to knock me away from the panel if my hair starts smoking.

Kent Keith
10-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Dan,
You might want to consider one of these Ladder - Max stabilizers. I've had mine for about a year and would not do without it. Should work on the LG.
Ladder Stabilizer Roof Placement (http://www.buyladder-max.com/roof.htm)

Darren Miller
10-09-2008, 06:37 AM
About 8 years ago I had a client follow me up into the attic. I didn't know anything until I reached the gable end and turned around (by this time the realtor was screaming downstairs); there he was standing right next to me.
I almost sh-t a brick; he was standing on the insulation! I grabbed him, told him to walk on the joists. When we got down, the realtor pointed out that the entire hall ceiling had popped; you could see where he walked from the hatch to the gable (on top of the insulation). Good thing he was only about 105 soaking wet.

Of course I put in the report the ceiling was damaged and needed to be fixed.

Ted Menelly
10-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Dan,
You might want to consider one of these Ladder - Max stabilizers. I've had mine for about a year and would not do without it. Should work on the LG.
Ladder Stabilizer Roof Placement (http://www.buyladder-max.com/roof.htm)

Hmmm

I wonder if there is one for telescoping ladders. As narrow as they are it would be nice for stability.

Billy Stephens
10-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Hmmm

I wonder if there is one for telescoping ladders. As narrow as they are it would be nice for stability.
:D............;)

Kent Keith
10-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Hmmm

Ted, I use two different types of ladders, one is a telescopic and this one does work on it. Just have to be careful extending it as it makes the ladder top heavy.
Kent

Eric Barker
10-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Dan,

Stepping over the top of the ladder is considered careless and is strongly discouraged. You should be stepping around to the side of it to get on and off.

That being said - I extend my L.G. ladder about a foot and a half above the roof edge and step over the top of it. To me, stepping off a roof and not being directly over a ladder makes no sense at all, but then the gurus who wrote the standards didn't ask me and likely don't go up ladders that much.

As for clients on the roof - I won't even tell you about that.

Ted Menelly
10-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Ted, I use two different types of ladders, one is a telescopic and this one does work on it. Just have to be careful extending it as it makes the ladder top heavy.
Kent

I don't mind the top heavy. I might just try it. I do not have the 15 footer anymore. Someone stole mine. I wanted to get a new one but they are so narrow going up that high they slide to the side to easy getting on and off. I guess I can go back to the 15 Xtend and Climb.

Thanks Kent

Larry Coha
10-10-2008, 08:22 AM
I did have someone follow me up a roof of a single family home at the beginning of an inspection a few years ago without me knowing it. I told him I need him to get down immediately or else I will terminate the inspection. He got the message.

Then once while on the roof of a 4 story condo building, which I entered via stairs and roof hatch, I turned around and saw an old man looking at me- not my client. I thought I was the only one up there so it really scared the heck out of me.

Jerry McCarthy
10-10-2008, 10:29 AM
A HI friend of mine was sued by a Realtor that went up his ladder and onto an old moss covered wood-shake roof in his leather soled Berluti Italian imports and I don’t need to tell you what happened. The moron then sued my friend for fixing his broken leg plus 300 grand for lost commissions while he was recuperating on his Marquis 70 tri-deck.
The judge was not impressed and threw the case out, but it just goes to show that inspectors always need to be vigilant, especially around ladders. I’ve had small kids try to follow me up and I read the riot act to their inattentive mothers.

A few words of warning for the newer inspectors: Don’t set up your ladder in the driveway in front of a swing-out type overhead garage door and always be aware of where the overhead electrical service is coming in as metal ladders and hot conductors are not a good thing, especially when the ladder is set on wet ground and becomes a grounding rod.

William Brady
10-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Here in the southwest or at least in my area our roofs are flat. I put up and extension or LG below the parpit and climb over the top. If I can I pull my truck into the driveway and brace the bottom of the ladder at the back of the truck. Stable base makes me feel real good. Being able to hold on to the roof wall when climbing onto the ladder is very safe.

Tom Edwards
10-11-2008, 02:07 PM
I put a paragraph in my contract regarding the client's safety.
I remind them immediately that I am not responsible for their safety and they are not covered by my insurance.

John Arnold
10-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Last year I had a client who was a roofer. Or so he said. He followed me up on a low roof and stepped in some nice thick fresh roofing cement, ruining his shoes. I laughed. Not so he could see me, mind you.

Nick Ostrowski
10-12-2008, 05:24 AM
A reminder on why you shouldn't allow your clients to use your ladders.

Dan Hagman
10-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow you guys are great ! alot of good information. Thanks for all the replies, this is definately great how we all can learn and share all this valuable experience.

Dan