Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 65 of 106
  1. #1
    Rudolf Reusse's Avatar
    Rudolf Reusse Guest

    Default NACHI Censorship

    NACHI Censorship:

    After having posted - 57 threads or comments on the NACHI message board in a businesslike and civilized manner as non-member - my access has been suspended last night because of alleged "excessive complaints from NACHI members."

    The unsuspected action has substantiated that Mr. Gromicko - and his inner circle of supporters - is obviously not even prepared to tolerate the slightest constructive criticism.

    I have now concluded that Mr. Gromicko - the sole owner of NACHI - is nothing more than a smart entrepreneur with a conniving business concept to extract money from gullible home inspectors - and in particular from newcomers seeking an easy way to enter the home inspection business.

    RUDOLF REUSSE - Home Inspector since 1976 - TORONTO


    Similar Threads:
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    3,177

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    NACHI .... NACHI ... hmmm...

    Sorry. Doesn't ring a bell.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Rudolf

    Don't feel bad, as you have seen first hand Nachi is a joke, no bylaws, no policy, no books, no elections, no appeals, not much of anything but a web based Trade Association plying services to newbies by vendor members. The rules are applied to suit the need/agenda while openly condoning libelous statements by one committee member of the ESOP and openly backed by the ESOP Chair Joe Farsetta which are applauded by Nicky.

    And the biggest laugh around is the fact that disgruntled member and ESOP member has soured on Nachi and found it necessary to join ASHI to ensure reputability, not that he ever had any.

    I am sure Michael Larson will be along to set the record straight, not that the record needs to be straightened as the Nachi record speaks volumes about the incompetencies.

    Cheers,


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hudson, WI
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Why bother Raymond?

    No one is going to change your mind and I don't care what you think or believe anyway.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Right on cue!


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Healdsburg, CA
    Posts
    1,741

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Err - Ah Rudolf, most of the folks around here figured the Nick out long ago. Somebody once posted regarding Nick "put your confidence in a real confidence man." Thought that was both amusing and accurate.
    How many members does NATCHI have now? I heard 17 at last count, but I suspect that's an inflated number.


    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Jerry

    Everything Nachi is inflated!

    Yesterday Nachi's Joe Ferry conducted a seminar "Law and Disorder" in Toronto. They only had 23 members and non members show up. To boot they were giving out free memberships, while members were given a $100 credit toward next years dues.

    A fellow colleague in my area is still listed as Chair of the Awards Committee and he resigned many months ago! Another good friend and former Nachi member of the year had to finally contact Nachi attorney to demand that his name and that of his wife be removed from the Registry. There are people listed in Ontario who are no longer members.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Rudolf

    I just checked and I see that your privileges as a non member posting on Nachi have been restored. They took the cancellation line out of your name. But they left the red box intact.

    I guess Michael Larson had some strings pulled being so close to Nick and all.

    To quote Michael "A QUEST FOR A 'FEEL GOOD MOMENT!"



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    When I can even be allowed to post on the ASHI MB you guys can talk.

    Everything I hear is that even ASHI members stay off that dead zone.

    You guys post on and are fixated on the NACHI board only because it is a light in the dark.

    Must admit your little soap opera is entertaining though.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    When I can even be allowed to post on the ASHI MB you guys can talk.

    Everything I hear is that even ASHI members stay off that dead zone.

    You guys post on and are fixated on the NACHI board only because it is a light in the dark.

    Must admit your little soap opera is entertaining though.
    Hi Bob,

    All you have to do is join ASHI and then you can post, just like Jim Bushart and many other individuals have done. Plenty of folks belong to both organizations and seem to be happy with each as they both provide different benifits to their members.

    Now why in the world would you bring up ASHI?

    Not one thing was said about ASHI and I don't think anyone posting on this thread is even an active member of ASHI outside of myself.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Hi Bob,

    All you have to do is join ASHI and then you can post, just like Jim Bushart and many other individuals have done. Plenty of folks belong to both organizations and seem to be happy with each as they both provide different benifits to their members.

    Now why in the world would you bring up ASHI?

    Not one thing was said about ASHI and I don't think anyone posting on this thread is even an active member of ASHI outside of myself.
    Hi Scott

    I assume most of the non member trouble makers are from ASHI if they are not members of NACHI.

    If wrong I apologize ,but if they are not ASHI, what are they?

    They certainly reveal little, other than an obsession with NACHI.

    As far as Joining ASHI goes I see no advantage to paying double membership unless you can think of a reason.

    I do not market to RE Agents so that angle has no bearing, since I work for and get all my business from the internet and past clients.

    Education is my only concideration as a good Inspector is always learning.

    I would leave the reply to you from here.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    I assume most of the non member trouble makers are from ASHI if they are not members of NACHI.
    Ignorance is bliss. James Bushart aka Harvey Hemplestern was once blissful til he had an epiphany. Now James can be found questioning the relevance and importance of Nachi.


  13. #13
    Wes Carlisle's Avatar
    Wes Carlisle Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Not one thing was said about ASHI and I don't think anyone posting on this thread is even an active member of ASHI outside of myself.[/QUOTE]

    Make that two of us Scott.

    I have never said a bad word about any association.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Carlisle View Post
    Not one thing was said about ASHI and I don't think anyone posting on this thread is even an active member of ASHI outside of myself.
    Make that two of us Scott.

    I have never said a bad word about any association.[/quote]

    Take back my use of that association then.
    I had some bad experiences a few years back on TIJ and Active Rain when certain factions were attacking my membership brotherhood.

    TIJ was relentless at the time claiming Google was going to eliminate SEO of Nachi due to the numerous links and at the same time AR was involved in association wars.

    At the time it felt personal.

    Since then of course , my business has grown and I have never even had a single client ask or care where my membership is.

    It is a personal decision, and I choose Nachi because of all the great educational opportunities.

    Is the association vender powered ? sure
    Whats wrong with that ,as it helps defray all of costs away from the members.

    That's good old capitalism as it should be.

    I was drawn here,due to the fact the original poster added this link to his thread on the MB at Nachi.

    Guess that ends my comments on this subject.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    It never ceases to amaze me that many Nachi members believe that no bylaws, no policy, no financial books, no elections makes for a professional organization. Without which is exactly why Nachi is what it is, a Vendors Mall controlled by one man, willing to sell instant certifications on almost any inspection related service to desperate individuals wanting instant gratification.


  16. #16
    Brian Thomas's Avatar
    Brian Thomas Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Its clear to me that both ASHI and NACHI have clear differences and dont seem to get along. Since Im fairly new, I have yet to ascertain the reason for this but after perusing the nachi MB's recently I saw alot of ASHI bashing.

    Anyone know why these organizations dont get along? BTW, I am an ASHI member as well.

    Last edited by Brian Thomas; 11-15-2008 at 08:33 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Nick doesn't like any association that has democratic processes in place and stringent defendable entry requirements.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    southern ontario
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    We all know that some sort of "certification" or whatever, can be obtained without too much trouble by any of us. What's the important thing here. Are we frickin' inspectors trying to give some kind of decent service to people looking for a new home, or are we shisters pulling some sort of cash grab!!!!! Jesus!!


  19. #19
    Kevin Luce's Avatar
    Kevin Luce Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robertson View Post
    We all know that some sort of "certification" or whatever, can be obtained without too much trouble by any of us. What's the important thing here. Are we frickin' inspectors trying to give some kind of decent service to people looking for a new home, or are we shisters pulling some sort of cash grab!!!!! Jesus!!
    Agree, that is why some states have found that there were no home inspection organizations that stood out from having more or less lawsuits.

    Rudolf Reusse, I went to InterNACHI and read a few of your post and I agree with your response.

    Every organization has/had its problems and if those problems bother you so much, time to move on.


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robertson View Post
    We all know that some sort of "certification" or whatever, can be obtained without too much trouble by any of us.
    Sure, if you want a meaningless certification.

    Other certifications are harder to come by.

    What's the important thing here. Are we frickin' inspectors trying to give some kind of decent service to people looking for a new home, or are we shisters pulling some sort of cash grab!!!!! Jesus!!
    That is what is being pointed out.

    INTERNachi "gives out" their "certifications" to just about anyone who wants one.

    ASHI and NAHI (the other two main national associations) do not.

    Even many state associations have stricter requirements that INTERNachi has.

    Question (before you start ranting again): What did you have to do to attain your INTERNachi "certification"?

    Take an on-line test, with no proof that you took it?

    Take a proctored test after providing identification to the proctor that you were who you said you were?

    Take an on-line test where you could search the internet for any answers you did not know?

    Take a proctored test with limited reference materials, if any, you might have been allowed to bring in?

    So many years ago when I took the ASHI Test (is *was* the "ASHI Test" at that time), and when I took the FABI test (which was before the ASHI test), you were not allowed to bring any reference material in with you. You were being tested for your knowledge, just like out in the field where you do not have all your reference material with you during the inspection. You either *know it* or you do not.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Every organization has/had its problems and if those problems bother you so much, time to move on.
    Which is why I left ASHI back in ... whenever it was ... that branding fiasco thing. When was that anyway? Been non-ASHI for so long I don't remember.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  22. #22
    Kevin Luce's Avatar
    Kevin Luce Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    So many years ago when I took the ASHI Test (is *was* the "ASHI Test" at that time), and when I took the FABI test (which was before the ASHI test), you were not allowed to bring any reference material in with you. You were being tested for your knowledge, just like out in the field where you do not have all your reference material with you during the inspection. You either *know it* or you do not.
    Jerry P,
    Just out of curiosity, when you took the test then, what did you think of it? I have seen tests given where the questions were simple while others really tested my knowledge.

    Around here, the classes given to home inspectors are more test preparation classes. It is unlikely I would hire somebody just because they took the class and passed the test with no other experience/education.


  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Every organization has/had its problems and if those problems bother you so much, time to move on.
    Its comments like that which create the status quo. Things do not change and are not changed unless people stand up and speak to the issues and demand change. Just because you do not like the answers or actions is no excuse to tell people to move on, that's the easiest option; run from the problems.

    There are no democratic processes in Nachi, because the system is designed to be run by one individual.

    At least with ASHI you have the democratic right to run for office, follow rules and regulations set down by bylaws and policies, the right to file a complaint and the right to appeal the findings. None of this occurs in Nachi and therein lies one of the major problems which reinforces the fact that its nothing but trade association.


  24. #24
    Brian Thomas's Avatar
    Brian Thomas Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Sure, if you want a meaningless certification.

    Other certifications are harder to come by.



    That is what is being pointed out.

    INTERNachi "gives out" their "certifications" to just about anyone who wants one.

    ASHI and NAHI (the other two main national associations) do not.

    Even many state associations have stricter requirements that INTERNachi has.

    Question (before you start ranting again): What did you have to do to attain your INTERNachi "certification"?

    Take an on-line test, with no proof that you took it?

    Take a proctored test after providing identification to the proctor that you were who you said you were?

    Take an on-line test where you could search the internet for any answers you did not know?

    Take a proctored test with limited reference materials, if any, you might have been allowed to bring in?

    So many years ago when I took the ASHI Test (is *was* the "ASHI Test" at that time), and when I took the FABI test (which was before the ASHI test), you were not allowed to bring any reference material in with you. You were being tested for your knowledge, just like out in the field where you do not have all your reference material with you during the inspection. You either *know it* or you do not.
    I took the NHIE 3 months ago and you were not allowed to bring any materials with you. You had to pass it by studying. Stange concept, I know! Say what you want about this test, but it was alot harder than the nachi test that you can take. Without looking up any answers to the online nachi test, I still got over 85-90% every time I took it.

    Anyone that plans to take the nachi test for real, if they wanna be considered for membership, can easily just look up answers online while taking the test. Not that you would need to!

    EDIT: So again, does anyone know why these 2 associations do not get along? Did something happen over time or was it a rivalry from the start? Is NACHI larger than ASHI now? I know NACHI's MB is alot more active than ASHI's MB


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Nachi claims its the "largest" however given that there are many listed as members which are no longer members and no one can verify exact numbers, its anyones guess.

    NG has also claimed on more than one occasion that entry into ASHI can be completed within 30 seconds, while entry to Nachi is much more difficult!

    As to activity on the discussion board between ASHI and Nachi the only reason Nachi may have more activity is because non members are permitted to post/reply. However I have been on the Nachi board numerous times when it appeared that there were considerably more non members participating than members. Anyone of the public can also read most sections and are registered as number of viewers to the threads.

    At issue is also the issuance of free memberships, and those that pay full price for membership. As with most things Nachi the CMI designation can be obtained freely if Nick happens to give you one! The CMI Board seems incapable to administer its own rules because again no bylaws, no policies, and a board made up of vendors and or employees of Nachi! I defy anyone to show me bylaws et ceteras for CMI. I recently found a post by one CMI certified member who offers home inspection courses openly stating he was a preapproved CMI school, yet isnt even listed as approved on the CMI site! Nothing done about it. Just as there is another member stating he is a CMI (Cert. Mould Inspector) as well as being a CMI (Cert. Master Inspector)!

    As to the rivarly its been going on for years as far as I remember with NG often referencing ASHI and its members as Scumbags! How professional!


  26. #26
    Kevin Luce's Avatar
    Kevin Luce Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Its comments like that which create the status quo. Things do not change and are not changed unless people stand up and speak to the issues and demand change. Just because you do not like the answers or actions is no excuse to tell people to move on, that's the easiest option; run from the problems.

    There are no democratic processes in Nachi, because the system is designed to be run by one individual.

    At least with ASHI you have the democratic right to run for office, follow rules and regulations set down by bylaws and policies, the right to file a complaint and the right to appeal the findings. None of this occurs in Nachi and therein lies one of the major problems which reinforces the fact that its nothing but trade association.
    I personally think there are better ways to "stand up and speak to the issues and demand change" than through ASHI, InterNACHI or NAHI. I am not going to spend all that money and time toward something that I feel is not as efficient.

    When it comes to InterNACHI, members can stand up and speak to the issues and demand change. The loudest thing they can do is quit the organization. Yet for some reason, even with new membership down, there are enough people that believe enough in what InterNACHI is doing for InterNACHI to stick around.

    The requirement for quantity will always over shadow quality. This is true for all three HI organizations.


  27. #27
    Kevin Luce's Avatar
    Kevin Luce Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    EDIT: So again, does anyone know why these 2 associations do not get along? Did something happen over time or was it a rivalry from the start? Is NACHI larger than ASHI now? I know NACHI's MB is alot more active than ASHI's MB
    To give you my opinion, InterNACHI wants to go in one direction while ASHI wants to go in another direction. ASHI wants to keep things the same while InterNACHI believes in new technology and new ways of doing things. InterNACHI believes that the internet is the way to go while ASHI wants to keep the on site classes. Lastly, ASHI & InterNACHI have done and wanted to do some things (in my opinion) that would have been in the best interest of their organization but not for the other organization and home inspectors as a whole.

    You should get more opinions now since I posted this.


  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    The biggest problem with Nachi the way I see it and evidenced from the board and dependent upon relationship with NG is that anything goes, one has to look no further than the blatant vexatious actions, and inappropriate actions of the ESOP the very people who are to set an example to the rest. Its insulting for some Nachi members to be openly ignorant and support such actions as and then openly condone it, the height of hypocracy! Its also interesting to note that the attorney who is on the ESOP has never commented on any actions diliberations of the ESOP because he knows full well the actions cannot be supported nor can the actions carried out based on making decisions to suit the agenda of power trippers who just happen to be vendors.

    I know personally of Joe Farsetta calling up a good aquaintance of mine and berating him in a fit of rage trying to get at me. Of course the ESOP ignored their buddies actions which run contrary to their code of ethics! Its nothing but a circus and those actions would never hold up under close scrutiny of the courts!

    Circus Maximus.


  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    I was under the impression that Nachi recognizes ASHI CEU's and vice versa?

    As to lawsuits against Nachi members, it is my opinion that because Nachi is relatively new with so many new members, that lawsuits have yet to materialize, as they have with ASHI. We don't know how many lawsuits have been levied against ASHI or Nachi because these numbers are closely guarded by the insurers. Further I am not even sure lawsuits agains Nachi members are defendable in all circumstances because it seems to me a good attorney would be able to punch holes in Nachi ethics, standards, verification, based on bylaws as you have with ASHI.


  30. #30
    Kevin Luce's Avatar
    Kevin Luce Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    As to lawsuits against Nachi members, it is my opinion that because Nachi is relatively new with so many new members, that lawsuits have yet to materialize, as they have with ASHI.
    Nachi members have been around long enough to have a view on how many lawsuit are filed against their members.

    We don't know how many lawsuits have been levied against ASHI or Nachi because these numbers are closely guarded by the insurers.
    If the buyer and the home inspection company cannot settle, a lawyer and filing of a lawsuit would be the first step. In many cases, the insurance company then settles or sent to abitration.

    When it comes to ASHI, they have been around 35 years I think (still young for a trade). You have to remember that home inspections were not the same when it comes to the way they were done or how many were done back then. When I started doing home inspections, the only requirement was a pen, paper, flashlight and screwdriver. When home inspections began as a profession, requirements weren't there (which include continuing education), the lawsuits were not really a factor, at least not where I was, and expectation wasn't nearly as high.


  31. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Jerry P,
    Just out of curiosity, when you took the test then, what did you think of it?
    I took it back in 1991, I think it was then.

    A group of 10 of us in South Florida studied together, ate pizza together, studied together and at more pizza together ... for several weeks before going to take the test (the test was geared around the knowledge that a northern home inspector would need to know, not stuff a home inspector in Florida would need to know, much less stuff home inspectors in South Florida needed to know - remember that Hartford Loop?).

    When we drove to Orlando to take the test, ...

    Oh, in the mean time, 2 of us studied more than the others, some played ball, some drank, some talked about playing ball, some talked about drinking, some talked about playing ball and drinking, and some just talked and talked about football (Miami Dolphins).

    ... Out of the 10 that went up there together, 2 people passed and 8 failed ... they thought the test was real hard, just not applicable to our area (it wasn't), and was generally a waste of time (although they did go back and take it again, and again - all but one ... who never did pass it).

    To me, because so much was foreign stuff, it was medium hard to hard. I was done within the allotted time, and not sure that I had passed it (but I was one of the two who did pass).

    By the way, the test was given based on the information in a book which had much incorrect information, but if you did not read and study 'the book', you would not know which questions to answer incorrectly so you would get them correct (which is possibly why those 8 who did not study did not pass, they thought 12 noon was day, even though the book said 12 noon was night - so when the question asked if it was day or night at 12 noon, if you answered 'day', you missed it, ... okay, so it was not *that* bad, but it was not very good either).

    Don't know if that answered your question or not.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    EDIT: So again, does anyone know why these 2 associations do not get along? Did something happen over time or was it a rivalry from the start? Is NACHI larger than ASHI now? I know NACHI's MB is alot more active than ASHI's MB
    I would not say the associations hate each other. The owner of INACHI dislikes ASHI, for whatever reason it is unknown, and I'm sure many ASHI members dislike him as well. He is forever calling ASHI a diploma mill, he only needs to look in the mirror for the diploma mill. I think it all started with some lawsuits that were filed by Nick many years back and then counter suites by ASHI. It really does not matter any longer, both organizations serve a different aspect of the inspector community.

    Who knows how large INACHI is, they will not publish any true numbers. ASHI has around 5,100 members. Out of those 5,100 members right at 3,500 have been in the profession longer than 5 years.

    I would guess that all HI organizations will suffer a large decrease in their newer members. The newer home inspectors will have a more difficult time during this major slowdown.

    I'm sure that the ASHI board is not as active in all of the BS post, but fairly active in the technical post. The most active BB are Inspection News and TIJ.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Georgetown, KY
    Posts
    537

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Gee, Scott.

    I find it easier to get information about NACHI members than I do ASHI Members.

    ASHI "says" it has so many numbers.

    NACHI has always had it right out in the open on the featured inspector "view all" page, but you gotta do the counting yourself.

    Where does ASHI publish a complete list of members like NACHI does? Do they?

    Featured Inspectors - InterNACHI: home inspection

    I've never been able to find an ASHI list like that.

    Of course, a couple of days ago I went to the Kentucky Board of Home Inspectors meeting and heard that another eleven hadn't renewed their license for October.

    I venture all the associations have lost members recently but are not yet aware of it.

    Where did NAHI come from? I wasn't around then, but it's my understanding that it came about because some inspectors were miffed at ASHI and wanted to do things their way so they formed NAHI. Truth? who knows now!

    You get out of an association what you put into it. I get the most out of the state association in Kentucky (Kentucky Real Estate Inspectors Association)



    --

    Last edited by Erby Crofutt; 11-16-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    Gee, Scott.

    I find it easier to get information about NACHI members than I do ASHI Members.

    ASHI "says" it has so many numbers.

    NACHI has always had it right out in the open on the featured inspector "view all" page, but you gotta do the counting yourself.

    Where does ASHI publish a complete list of members like NACHI does? Do they?

    --
    ASHI does not publish a single list of their inspectors. You can search by Zip Code, State, City, etc,for an inspector. But they do publish their membership numbers every month. It can be found in the ASHI Reporter monthly magazine, the current month is online Have you renewed your membership? | ASHI Reporter

    Last edited by Scott Patterson; 11-16-2008 at 04:59 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Georgetown, KY
    Posts
    537

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    That's what I mean.

    ASHI publishes numbers but not names. (Yeah, I get the ASHI Reporter too)

    NACHI publishes names but not numbers.

    Whoop tee doo.

    It's all the same baloney.

    Mine's bigger, better, faster, longer, etc.

    Kinda like the weather. Gives us something to complain about. too hot - to cold - to wet - to dry.

    My association is better than yours.

    Same difference.

    I get something out of all eight associatons (not all HI) I belong too!

    As long as I'm getting my money's worth, I don't much care what anyone else says about that particular association.


    -

    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

  36. #36
    Kevin Luce's Avatar
    Kevin Luce Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I took it back in 1991, I think it was then.

    A group of 10 of us in South Florida studied together, ate pizza together, studied together and at more pizza together ... for several weeks before going to take the test (the test was geared around the knowledge that a northern home inspector would need to know, not stuff a home inspector in Florida would need to know, much less stuff home inspectors in South Florida needed to know - remember that Hartford Loop?).

    When we drove to Orlando to take the test, ...

    Oh, in the mean time, 2 of us studied more than the others, some played ball, some drank, some talked about playing ball, some talked about drinking, some talked about playing ball and drinking, and some just talked and talked about football (Miami Dolphins).

    ... Out of the 10 that went up there together, 2 people passed and 8 failed ... they thought the test was real hard, just not applicable to our area (it wasn't), and was generally a waste of time (although they did go back and take it again, and again - all but one ... who never did pass it).

    To me, because so much was foreign stuff, it was medium hard to hard. I was done within the allotted time, and not sure that I had passed it (but I was one of the two who did pass).

    By the way, the test was given based on the information in a book which had much incorrect information, but if you did not read and study 'the book', you would not know which questions to answer incorrectly so you would get them correct (which is possibly why those 8 who did not study did not pass, they thought 12 noon was day, even though the book said 12 noon was night - so when the question asked if it was day or night at 12 noon, if you answered 'day', you missed it, ... okay, so it was not *that* bad, but it was not very good either).

    Don't know if that answered your question or not.
    Sounds exactly like Kentucky back around 1995 when licensing began for HVAC technician and installers. They expected installers to know everything the HVAC service technicians needed to know which included residential and commercial. The continuing education classes that were required were a joke. The most interesting thing they did was showed slides of improper installation of air conditioner units and furnaces that were installed by the same guys that were in the class. A few admitting they installed the unit being shown but most just laughing.


  37. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Up here (Ontario) the Corporations Act stipulates that a membership registry must be kept at head office of the corporation listing all members of which the public have the right to see the registry during normal business hours.

    Regrettably it appears this is not the case with ASHI and NACHI and numbers cannot be verified. I also no that Nachi is notorious for not removing non members from the membership list to keep up appearances of having more members than it actually does.


  38. #38
    Kevin Luce's Avatar
    Kevin Luce Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I also no that Nachi is notorious for not removing non members from the membership list to keep up appearances of having more members than it actually does.
    I know two home inspectors around here that are still on the ASHI search but still haven't paid their dues. I wouldn't be surprised if NAHI is doing the same at this time.


  39. #39
    John McKenna's Avatar
    John McKenna Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Did anyone ask why the original poster got censored from the NACHI forum? Seems that anyone with a complaint against NACHI is given full support here, without questioning what really happened.

    The truth is, you can become a member of NACHI or ASHI by simply turning in your application (someone prove me wrong). Be careful what you say.

    In both associations, you must go on to finish certain qualification to become a full member. It is the person who really makes a good inspector, not the association.

    I personally like Nick Gromicko and have spent considerable time with him. I would trust him with my wallet or my kids. He is a good man.


  40. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Did anyone ask why the original poster got censored from the NACHI forum? Seems that anyone with a complaint against NACHI is given full support here, without questioning what really happened.
    Excessive complaints, or so the story perpetrated by Nachi goes! Even stranger anyone using the red/green box rating system can leave red boxes dependent entirely on someone motivated simply because they can without consequence.

    The truth is, you can become a member of NACHI or ASHI by simply turning in your application (someone prove me wrong). Be careful what you say.
    ASHI membership categories and requirements | ASHI, American Society of Home Inspectors
    While you may become a member upon receipt of application it is an associate level without use of the ASHI logo. The whole purpose of a graduated membership is to ensure a level of verifiable experience worthy of certification and logo use.

    While Nachi only requires the following and or payment for membership or a free membership, yet none of these requirements or conditions is substantiated in any bylaws. Its pretty much the same with CMI - free membership for some and no bylaws and no standards.

    Requirements for membership (first 3 must be done before joining):
    1. You must have passed InterNACHI's Online Inspector Examination (free) with a score of 80 or better.
    2. You must have completed InterNACHI's Ethics Obstacle Course (free).
    3. You must have taken InterNACHI's Standards of Practice Quiz (free).
    I personally like Nick Gromicko and have spent considerable time with him. I would trust him with my wallet or my kids. He is a good man.
    Well you are a vendor, and you sit on the CMI board with other vendors, might this have something to do with solidarity? Would you say anything negative given you closeness both personal and professionally?


  41. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    579

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    I remember when I first got into the business I looked at all of the national home inspector organizations out there. I chose NACHI because they had the easiest membership requirements. I remember getting my little gold "Certified Home Inspector" certificate. I thought to myself this can't be for real anyone could have got one of these, it was so easy to get. However in the beginning I was looking for an organization to belong to that would help make me look like I have credentials and qualifications. I actually think a few Realtors were impressed at first.

    I soon realized that NACHI was nothing but a huge marketing machine that helped anyone get into the business qualified or not. I did not renew my membership the next year. I have received emails from Nick himself when posting negative comments about NACHI on this forum. I think that if you support NACHI you are supporting every part time bozo inspector out there advertising $199 home inspections.


  42. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by John McKenna View Post
    Did anyone ask why the original poster got censored from the NACHI forum?
    No, and probably because no one cared.

    The truth is, you can become a member of NACHI or ASHI by simply turning in your application (someone prove me wrong). Be careful what you say.
    Okay, being as I belong to neither association, I'll bite:

    You cannot "become a member of ... ASHI by simply turning in your application", and "that's a fact, Jack".

    Okay, now your turn, and "Be careful what you say.", it will either make me look foolish (which has been done before ) or make you look foolish (which has also been done before ).

    Go for it.



    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    The best thing that ever happen to me was to be kicked out of Nachi and I never paid one cent for membership! The ESOP kicked me out without benefit of a closed hearing, it was an execution by way of open discussion on the forum because I dared publish on the forum a private email from Joe Farsetta from his private Yahoo account (how appropriate "yahoo" that about sums it up in a nutshell) !

    Membership has it privileges alright! I tried to turn my so called ex membership into ASHI but they laughed and so did I!

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  44. #44
    John McKenna's Avatar
    John McKenna Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Okay, being as I belong to neither association, I'll bite:

    You cannot "become a member of ... ASHI by simply turning in your application", and "that's a fact, Jack".

    Okay, now your turn, and "Be careful what you say.", it will either make me look foolish (which has been done before ) or make you look foolish (which has also been done before ).

    Go for it.

    You can send in your application (with payment) and become an ASHI member here.
    Online application | ASHI, American Society of Home Inspectors

    Even Raymond Wand, who posted before you, says you can become an ASHI member with just an application.
    ASHI membership categories and requirements | ASHI, American Society of Home Inspectors

    At least NACHI states that you MUST fulfil some testing and education to be a member. ASHI only requires the application to stay a member, as stated on their web page.

    Ask Raymond to read the above pages for you.

    BTW... Nick is a great guy.


  45. #45
    Brian Thomas's Avatar
    Brian Thomas Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    I remember when I first got into the business I looked at all of the national home inspector organizations out there. I chose NACHI because they had the easiest membership requirements. I remember getting my little gold "Certified Home Inspector" certificate. I thought to myself this can't be for real anyone could have got one of these, it was so easy to get. However in the beginning I was looking for an organization to belong to that would help make me look like I have credentials and qualifications. I actually think a few Realtors were impressed at first.

    I soon realized that NACHI was nothing but a huge marketing machine that helped anyone get into the business qualified or not. I did not renew my membership the next year. I have received emails from Nick himself when posting negative comments about NACHI on this forum. I think that if you support NACHI you are supporting every part time bozo inspector out there advertising $199 home inspections.
    Thats exactly why I chose NOT to join nachi. Even though Im very new to the profession, I still wanted something that was harder to get into. Now ASHI is easy to get into as an associate member as well. One simply just needs to pay their dues. But to become a certified member, you must at least pass the NHIE and the code of ethics test and have at least 250 fee paid inspectuions under your belt.


  46. #46
    Kevin Luce's Avatar
    Kevin Luce Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    No, and probably because no one cared.



    Okay, being as I belong to neither association, I'll bite:

    You cannot "become a member of ... ASHI by simply turning in your application", and "that's a fact, Jack".

    Okay, now your turn, and "Be careful what you say.", it will either make me look foolish (which has been done before ) or make you look foolish (which has also been done before ).

    Go for it.
    ASHI Associates Inspectors in this category have:
    • Just joined ASHI and may be new to the inspection profession or may be a seasoned inspector who has not yet completed ASHI's requirements to move up in membership.

    This reads, from ASHI's website, that they are a member. But you are right about it takes more than an application. Money needs to go with it.


  47. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    ASHI membership categories and requirements | ASHI, American Society of Home Inspectors
    While you may become a member upon receipt of application it is an associate level without use of the ASHI logo. The whole purpose of a graduated membership is to ensure a level of verifiable experience worthy of certification and logo use.
    What would be the point of becoming a member without certification or logo use? While on the other hand you can join Nachi immediately with all the trappings including logo use and so called certification?

    And btw would someone from Nachi be so kind to post the bylaws, policies for perusal so we can compare apples to apples?


  48. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    This reads, from ASHI's website, that they are a member. But you are right about it takes more than an application. Money needs to go with it.
    Yeah but you can get a membership in Nachi and get it free. Free I tell ya, free!

    Btw can you provide me a copy of the bylaws of Nachi, and/or the policies wherein the requirements are fashioned into a legally recognized document? All anyone has ever seen are requirements placed on the web. Surely a professional body such as Nachi's calibre must have some legitimate documents?


  49. #49
    Joseph P. Hagarty's Avatar
    Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Raymond,

    If a NACHI Membership can be obtained for FREE, Why do You not have one?

    Contrary to your assertions....

    I have seen , as a past NACHI President, the Bylaws, Corporate Documents and Financial Statements of NACHI.

    Your accusations have no basis....


  50. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    I am not talking corporate bylaw's, I am referring to bylaws which govern the membership in so far as membership levels, entry requirements, election, directors, discipline, appeal, financial reports, voting rights, et ceteras.

    Obviously my accusations have merit because no one has been able to produce them, let alone follow any semblance of good governance. However since there are no voting privileges I suspect that negates the need for bylaws governing the membership. Not to mention the manner in which there are no rules for the ESOP to follow. Its nice to know that you have seen the documents, but what about the rest of the membership? Its apparent they follow no set guidelines other than whats listed on the website.

    In America do Trade Associations require bylaws?

    Nice hear from you.

    Cheers,


  51. #51
    Joseph P. Hagarty's Avatar
    Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Raymond,

    NACHI has and continues to maintain documentation with regard to their corporate bylaws.

    Members have never had voting privileges.


  52. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    In America do Trade Associations require bylaws?

    Cheers,
    I would think that their members would demand that they do, unless their members are just a bunch of lemmings.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  53. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Yes Corporate Bylaws.

    Thank you for confirming that, I guess the fact that there are no voting privileges confirms Nachi is a trade association and there is no provision for membership input to better the association?

    What rules do the ESOP follow?

    Thanks,


  54. #54
    Joseph P. Hagarty's Avatar
    Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I would think that their members would demand that they do, unless their members are just a bunch of lemmings.
    What can ASHI provide an Experienced Inspector in terms of benefits that outweighs the benefits of NACHI?


  55. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Good question, however I can only comment on my own experiences and as already expressed I never relied on any association to do for me what I could do myself. I personally do not see any tangible benefits of Nachi membership. However having got my start with ASHI I guess I am jaded and bias in my opinions. So I declare I have a conflict of interest!


  56. #56
    Joseph P. Hagarty's Avatar
    Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Yes Corporate Bylaws.

    Thank you for confirming that, I guess the fact that there are no voting privileges confirms Nachi is a trade association and there is no provision for membership input to better the association?
    The bylaws have not been dramatically changed since I have been affiliated with Nick since 2001.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post

    What rules do the ESOP follow?

    Thanks,

    ESOP follows the rules set by Joe Farsetta and His Committee. That should not come as a surprise to you .


  57. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph P. Hagarty View Post
    What can ASHI provide an Experienced Inspector in terms of benefits that outweighs the benefits of NACHI?
    Hi Joe, now how did this turn into an The American Society Of Home Inspectors discussion?

    I guess an answer to your question would depend on what that inspector is looking for.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  58. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    ESOP follows the rules set by Joe Farsetta and His Committee. That should not come as a surprise to you
    I rest my case!


  59. #59
    Joseph P. Hagarty's Avatar
    Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Hi Joe, now how did this turn into an The American Society Of Home Inspectors discussion?

    I guess an answer to your question would depend on what that inspector is looking for.
    I only asked a question.


  60. #60
    Joseph P. Hagarty's Avatar
    Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I rest my case!



  61. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Hey Joe,

    Rumour has it that the ESOP just lost another esteem member today, apparently he had a melt down, too bad, that boy had potential! What with JB not renewing what will Joe F. do ,surely there are not that many gullible people to serve on the ESOP are there? Besides Kenneth Lott?


  62. #62
    Joseph P. Hagarty's Avatar
    Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Hey Joe,

    Rumour has it that the ESOP just lost another esteem member today, apparently he had a melt down, too bad, that boy had potential! What with JB not renewing what will Joe F. do ,surely there are not that many gullible people to serve on the ESOP are there?
    The recent Presidential Election in the USA clearly demonstrates that many People can be fooled on a routine basis. Is this any different than Canada?


  63. #63
    Joseph P. Hagarty's Avatar
    Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Hey Joe,

    Rumour has it that the ESOP just lost another esteem member today,....

    ESOP has esteemed Members?


  64. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Caledon, Ontario
    Posts
    5,005

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph P. Hagarty View Post
    The recent Presidential Election in the USA clearly demonstrates that many People can be fooled on a routine basis. Is this any different than Canada?
    Nope!


  65. #65
    Joseph P. Hagarty's Avatar
    Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

    Default Re: NACHI Censorship

    Too Funny...


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •