Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: reeltor ethics

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,049

    Default reeltor ethics

    Have any of you ever had a client say something to you that you thought didn't sound right, like something that their reeltor told them about the process?

    I don't have a problem handling my own ethics and I'm sure most of you don't either. That aside, how much do you know about the reeltors side and their ethical obligations? Do you think it's useful for a home inspector to know the obligations of the reeltor?

    That way, when you hear something that doesn't sound right, you'll know it.

    Similar Threads:
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler Guest

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I don't have a problem handling my own ethics and I'm sure most of you don't either. That aside, how much do you know about the reeltors side and their ethical obligations?

    That way, when you hear something that doesn't sound right, you'll know it.
    Ethics are Ethics. yours, mine or a Real Estate Agents. If some one comes to you with somethings... they have just put it all in play. If an agent is doing something that is wrong and its going to effect you you need to call them on it. before it gets you in the but...

    One needs a good moral compass to walk in this kind of thing.

    Best

    Ron


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,340

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Just curious, why are you mis-spelling "reeltor?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Just curious, why are you mis-spelling "reeltor?

    Possibly because RealtorTM is trade marked?

    That is why I always say "real estate agent".

    A "real estate agent" does not necessarily mean a "RealtorTM", however, a "RealtorTM" is also a "real estate agent".

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Realtor ethics

    "... RealtorTM is trade marked?"

    I've got a GREAT idea
    "Certified Master Realtor" TM (C) and (R)
    I can charge, say $300.00 to join, I mean take the test.
    Check cleared, you pass, next.
    Lets see, I can sell "CMR", T shirts, Coffee mugs, Gold blazer ( no thats already taken, so make it Green), Seminars, T shirts ( Oh I said that), Forms, software...
    Man, this could be BIG.
    See you guys latter, I got work to do.

    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,049

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Possibly because RealtorTM is trade marked?

    That is why I always say "real estate agent".

    A "real estate agent" does not necessarily mean a "RealtorTM", however, a "RealtorTM" is also a "real estate agent".
    .....ding ding ding ding ding ding...correct


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Real-tors have ethics? That's a new one on me. I don't think they give that brochure to the newer ones.

    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

  8. #8
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Do you really, any of you, seriously have a problem writing Realtor anywhere for any reason. Folks, it's getting a little deap here don't you think.

    I shake my head with some of what I read on here sometimes. Yes, I know you folks shake your heads to about some of what I write. But seriously sometimes things a just a bit over the top.

    Definition

    Re·al·tor Pronunciation:\ˈrē(-ə)l-tər, -ˌtȯr, ÷ˈrē-lə-tər also rē-ˈal-tər\ Function:collective mark —used for a real estate agent who is a member of the National Association of Realtors


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Do you really, any of you, seriously have a problem writing Realtor anywhere for any reason. Folks, it's getting a little deap here don't you think.

    I shake my head with some of what I read on here sometimes. Yes, I know you folks shake your heads to about some of what I write. But seriously sometimes things a just a bit over the top.

    Definition

    Re·al·tor Pronunciation:\ˈrē(-ə)l-tər, -ˌtȯr, ÷ˈrē-lə-tər also rē-ˈal-tər\ Function:collective mark —used for a real estate agent who is a member of the National Association of Realtors

    Ted,

    I don't have a problem using the term RealtorTM but I CHOSE NOT TO because I AM NOT going to call every real estate agent a Realtor when it is likely THEY ARE NOT.

    Sorry if that offends you, but that is like THEM referring to all home inspectors as ASHI (which means a home inspector who is a member of ASHI). Do YOU really want that?

    How about if real estate agents referred to ALL home inspectors (which would include you) as NAHI ... or NACHI?

    That is precisely what you are doing in reverse to them - you are elevating ALL real estate agents to the Realtor level and even many Realtors are not Realtor level real estate agents.

    Me, I think we should stick to "real estate agents" and "home inspectors" and let's leave the membership associations out of it.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    I usually write realtor or RE agent. Figured I'd join the stupidity and write it wrong.
    More to the point Ted, you didn't answer the original question.

    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

  11. #11
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I usually write realtor or RE agent. Figured I'd join the stupidity and write it wrong.
    More to the point Ted, you didn't answer the original question.


    To the original question

    Ethics

    Realtors

    Well, some have them and some do not.

    Another answer along the way here. Yes, I do call realtors on ethical questions and it does not have to be what may be in REAL ESTATE GUIDELINES.

    One reson why I do not have a vast amount of *REAL ESTATE AGENT* (that was solely for Jerry) referrals. Yes, around me Realtors must be ethical or they will get called on it.

    Definition

    Re·al·tor Pronunciation:\ˈrē(-ə)l-tər, -ˌtȯr, ÷ˈrē-lə-tər also rē-ˈal-tər\ Function:collective mark —used for a real estate agent who is a member of the National Association of Realtors

    As far as the Realtor thing. I have never met anyone, anywhere that does not think of or call a Real Estate Agent a realtor. When anyone talks of the Real Estae Agents in an office they abreviate it with *The Realtors* or "the agents" or, "I do (or don't) market Realtors for referrals etc etc etc etc


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Definition

    Re·al·tor Pronunciation:\ˈrē(-ə)l-tər, -ˌtȯr, ÷ˈrē-lə-tər also rē-ˈal-tər\ Function:collective mark —used for a real estate agent who is a member of the National Association of Realtors

    As far as the Realtor thing. I have never met anyone, anywhere that does not think of or call a Real Estate Agent a realtor. When anyone talks of the Real Estae Agents in an office they abreviate it with *The Realtors* or "the agents" or, "I do (or don't) market Realtors for referrals etc etc etc etc

    Therefore you would not mind being referred to as ASHI, or NAHI, or even NACHI, correct?

    That IS what you are saying. It DOES apply in both directions.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  13. #13
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Therefore you would not mind being referred to as ASHI, or NAHI, or even NACHI, correct?

    That IS what you are saying. It DOES apply in both directions.

    Sorry, as you say, not trying to offend here (Iwas not offended at all) but you reflections on NACHI, Nahi etc etc etc is not even remotely a good example.

    Everyone knows what a home inspector is but not everyone knows who or what NAHI is, not even remotely.

    Everyone knows what one is referrring to as in "Who are you using for a Realtor ?"

    No one knows what you are referring to with the exception of a few Realtors and most other inspectors as in Which NAHI are you using or which NACHI or ASHI you are using. Add inspectors and they will fighure it out. There is no figuring with Realtor everyone will know as to what you are referring.

    National Association of Realtors (which by the way 99 percent of Real Estate Agents around here belong to), everyone can figure out what that is.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,252

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Sorry, as you say, not trying to offend here (Iwas not offended at all) but you reflections on NACHI, Nahi etc etc etc is not even remotely a good example.

    They are PERFECT examples of what you are doing in the reverse.

    YOU are IMPLYING that all real estate agents are members of the National Association of Realtors by calling them realtors.

    If THEY decided to IMPLY that you were a member of ASH/NAHI/NACHI by calling you one of those names, that would be EXACTLY what you are doing by lumping them into that "realtor" category.

    You are trying to define your way out of your error, but all you are doing is providing more evidence that what I am saying is correct. Thank you.

    There is Ted the ASHI.
    There is Ted the NAHI.
    There is Ted the NACHI.

    After all, THAT IS what ASHI Branding was ALL ABOUT - trying to get real estate agents (and the general public) to think that all home inspectors were ASHI, just like you and all your references thing that RealtorTM means real estate agent.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,049

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    reeltor...reeltor....reeltor, BFD

    BTW, thanks for your opinions on the original question.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Charlotte NC Licensed in NC and SC
    Posts
    597

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    John,

    The most common and very serious issue I witness often is agents telling buyers that everything that may fail will be covered under the warranty.

    These tidbit warranty's do not include anything over 10 years old I think and for sure not HVAC replacement.

    I had to start putting a warning in my reports to prevent clients from believing this crap.

    Take a house with two old hvac systems and an old roof. Do you think many homeowners could afford to replace all of that within a few years of buying a house? No way, and thats the reason the house is being sold usually, the owners know that expense is coming up soon and can't afford it. Depending on the house, new hvac(s) and a roof will easily run from 10k to 30k.


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post

    The most common and very serious issue I witness often is agents telling buyers that everything that may fail will be covered under the warranty.
    In my head I always add the phrase "after I've cashed my comission check" to the end of every sentence.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rockwall Texas
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: reeltor ethics

    I've only dealt with Realturds lately.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •