Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,445

    Default Housing Inspection Foundation

    I stumbled onto this association and found something interesting, or confusing. I clicked on TN and found a bunch of inspectors listed as members. Since some were listed as near me, and hI ave never heard of them, I decided to look them up.
    One after another turned out to be unlicensed. I finally found one guy in Nashville that got his license last November.
    Looks like another association you can send a check and get to call yourself "Certified" by them.
    Not so impressed.

    Member Benefits1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,777

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    Like other organizations it is offering a marketing tool. Something to offer/present as a title or credential for a purely marketing edge. Something like lipstick on a pig?

    It is interesting that there are so many listed members.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WESTMINSTER CO
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    JACK---what is the assoc


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,445

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    Housing Inspection Foundation


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WESTMINSTER CO
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    jack thought that was the tread title--never heard of them--maybe scotty p can help


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I stumbled onto this association and found something interesting, or confusing. I clicked on TN and found a bunch of inspectors listed as members. Since some were listed as near me, and hI ave never heard of them, I decided to look them up.

    One after another turned out to be unlicensed. I finally found one guy in Nashville that got his license last November.
    Looks like another association you can send a check and get to call yourself "Certified" by them.
    Not so impressed.
    Unknown WHO the heck "MANAGEMENT" is supposed to be. The site is silent on same, and since in a prior "life" was Phoenix based telephone number, unknown what state or business structure entity is supposed to be behind same.

    Their (presuming plural, suspect its a "his" as in singular individual not a true entity, but am not interested enough to delve further) site is one of the poorest I've seen. Scores of unattributed names, etc. on their "lists", a prime example can be found for "Illinois".

    What was old becomes new again, what was gone may be recycled, reincarnated, or reclaimed. Not sure who or what is behind the site you've found.

    IIRC there are/were discussion threads in the archives (at the IN dot com) site as well.

    Russel Ray from San Diego mentioned his experience around Y2K, Erby C. from KY in past has made mention of having tried it (on the nachi form, IIRC) and Dub Smith more recently posted about his experience here.

    Here are two "more recent" discussion threads here at IN dot net:

    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...oundation.html

    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...one-under.html

    Here are two at NACHI, I think I recall Erby and/or Russel Ray particpated on one or both:

    HIF Housing Inspection Foundation - InterNACHI Inspection Forum

    Another inspection association call it quits. - InterNACHI Inspection Forum


    Here's another website/page:

    HIF

    Try searching "Home Inspection Foundation", "House Inspection Foundation" and "HIF" in addition to "HIF.org" and "Housing Inspection Foundation" in the present and archived forum, here and other forums (i.e. NACHI, ASHI, TIJ, etc.) using your search engine of choice: I think you'll find more during diferent periods of "life" over the past 12-15 years or so, coming and going

    HTH.

    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-02-2013 at 08:25 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    HIF has been around since the mid 1990's from what I can recall. For some reason I think it started in Wisconsin and it is now run by an association management firm in Palm Springs, CA. That is about all I know about HIF......

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  8. #8
    Russel Ray's Avatar
    Russel Ray Guest

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    I joined HIF (and CREIA, and ASHI, and AAHI, and NAHI, and FREA, and every other organization I could find) in August & September 2001. I thought HIF went out of business around 2006 or so because there was no way to renew membership. I did get some really good publications from them while I was a member.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    Well I've never heard of them.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,445

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    I disagree Paul. The reason I brought this up was because they listed as "members" several people that are not licensed home inspectors. In fact, for the few that were close to me, I could not find any of them listed anywhere (in business as inspectors).

    Just to be listed as a member of any foundation, society, or organization just to get a list of memberships for your website is very shortsighted (in my view). This could really bite you if a potential client, that is quite informed with the home inspection industry, is looking at your website and sees questionable memberships.


  11. #11
    Russel Ray's Avatar
    Russel Ray Guest

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I disagree Paul. The reason I brought this up was because they listed as "members" several people that are not licensed home inspectors. In fact, for the few that were close to me, I could not find any of them listed anywhere (in business as inspectors).

    Just to be listed as a member of any foundation, society, or organization just to get a list of memberships for your website is very shortsighted (in my view). This could really bite you if a potential client, that is quite informed with the home inspection industry, is looking at your website and sees questionable memberships.
    When I joined, it was not a requirement to be a home inspector, so obviously one didn't have to be a licensed home inspector either. I am a member of several Foundations, so being a member of the Housing Inspection Foundation seemed like a good fit for me as a home inspector.

    If you want to talk about questionable memberships, we should start a new thread on those thousands of initials that Realtors put behind their names............lol


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,445

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    Quote Originally Posted by Russel Ray View Post
    When I joined, it was not a requirement to be a home inspector, so obviously one didn't have to be a licensed home inspector either. I am a member of several Foundations, so being a member of the Housing Inspection Foundation seemed like a good fit for me as a home inspector.

    If you want to talk about questionable memberships, we should start a new thread on those thousands of initials that Realtors put behind their names............lol
    Well, Russell, I wasn't concerned about Realtors or engineers or any other profession. My question was about home inspectors. In my area, the people listed, are not home inspectors, or anyone related to home inspection, as far as I can tell.
    The name of the organization gives the impression that members are home inspectors, not builders, not Realtors, not plumbers, home inspectors. If they are listing "members" that are not home inspectors, then I have to question how valid this organization actually is.


  13. #13
    Russel Ray's Avatar
    Russel Ray Guest

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Well, Russell, I wasn't concerned about Realtors or engineers or any other profession. My question was about home inspectors. In my area, the people listed, are not home inspectors, or anyone related to home inspection, as far as I can tell.
    The name of the organization gives the impression that members are home inspectors, not builders, not Realtors, not plumbers, home inspectors. If they are listing "members" that are not home inspectors, then I have to question how valid this organization actually is.
    Could it not be simply a Foundation that supports the Housing Inspection industry? That's all I thought it was when I joined, and I got some really good materials from them, free of charge, in support of me as a housing inspector.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,445

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    Quote Originally Posted by Russel Ray View Post
    Could it not be simply a Foundation that supports the Housing Inspection industry? That's all I thought it was when I joined, and I got some really good materials from them, free of charge, in support of me as a housing inspector.
    Glad you got something from them - however, my original question had to do with why they had members listed (in my area) that do not appear to be in the housing inspection industry/profession.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    I find it comical to see folks who list multiple home inspector organization memberships on their website. What a wast of money when the general public could not even give a hoot if you belong to a professional organization. I know the argument that the more place you are listed the more calls you will get, honestly I do not put much faith behind that argument.

    You can't beat a good website and word of mouth referrals.

    I do get some referrals from the ASHI Find-A-Inspector website (about 12-15) a year but I get just as many if not more referrals from other inspectors when they are busy or from around the country. Those types of referrals come from being involved in the profession and from the relationships that have been built over the years with other inspectors. You just can't join an association and do nothing in it and expect the referrals to roll on in.

    If you are depending on your membership origination to keep your phone ringing with referrals you need to find another job. Too many are looking for instant credibility in an attempt to make them look like they have experience and the knowledge so that unknowing consumers will use them. This type of credibility can only be gained with honesty, experience, hard work and time.

    Last edited by Scott Patterson; 08-12-2013 at 06:41 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  16. #16
    Russel Ray's Avatar
    Russel Ray Guest

    Default Re: Housing Inspection Foundation

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I find it comical to see folks who list multiple home inspector organization memberships on their website. What a wast of money when the general public could not even give a hoot if you belong to a professional organization. I know the argument that the more place you are listed the more calls you will get, honestly I do not put much faith behind that argument.
    I guess it depends on where you are, as most things do. Out here the "general public" actually does give a hoot, probably because they all know that California has no licensing for home inspectors. Thus anyone can print up some business cards and call himself a home inspector. When that happens, it does do some good to actually spend money belonging to professional organizations, BBB, etc. Not everyone who spends money printing business cards will spend money belonging to professional organizations, so those who do get a little more credibility.

    After 11,000+ inspections since October 2001, I get about 40% of my business from Realtors who refer me exclusively, about 10% from past clients coming back for more, 30% from my Referral Rewards Program, and 20% from the Internet.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •