Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    For those of you that use or say you use the ASHI Standard of Practice you might want to familiarize yourself with the changes.
    2013_standards.pdf

    The above PDF is the Standard that was voted on and passed by the ASHI membership. The website will be updated soon to reflect the changes.

    Last edited by Scott Patterson; 12-17-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    Member Benefits1
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    I think it would be useful to publish a "Change List" just so there is no confusion about what has changed. Not everyone is thorough as they could/should be.

    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    The changes were available before the vote.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    I think it would be useful to publish a "Change List" just so there is no confusion about what has changed. Not everyone is thorough as they could/should be.
    This is a link to the rationale for each change, it list the section, change and why the change was done.
    http://www.homeinspector.org/email_d...tionale5.0.pdf

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,777

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    This gives the rational behind changes. (from ASHI web site)

    http://www.homeinspector.org/email_d...tionale5.0.pdf


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    So other than a bunch of wordsmithing, it looks like the big take aways are:

    - Test AFCI in unoccupied houses
    - Operate Built-in Kitchen Appliances
    - Inspect/report carbon monoxide alarms
    - Don't have to report voltage and floor coverings.

    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    So other than a bunch of wordsmithing, it looks like the big take aways are:

    - Test AFCI in unoccupied houses
    - Operate Built-in Kitchen Appliances
    - Inspect/report carbon monoxide alarms
    - Don't have to report voltage and floor coverings.
    Yep, that's pretty much the Readers Digest version of the changes!

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    So other than a bunch of wordsmithing, it looks like the big take aways are:

    - Test AFCI in unoccupied houses
    - Operate Built-in Kitchen Appliances
    - Inspect/report carbon monoxide alarms
    - Don't have to report voltage and floor coverings.
    In other words, do what most home inspectors do anyway ... (at least down in Florida where operating appliances was/is already the norm).

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    In other words, do what most home inspectors do anyway ... (at least down in Florida where operating appliances was/is already the norm).
    You would think that operating built-in appliances would be the norm for most home inspectors across the country but it's not. Surveys showed that those on the Left and Right coast tended to disclaim appliances more than other parts of the country, this group also gave the most resistance to this change in the SoP.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,248

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    You would think that operating built-in appliances would be the norm for most home inspectors across the country but it's not. Surveys showed that those on the Left and Right coast tended to disclaim appliances more than other parts of the country, this group also gave the most resistance to this change in the SoP.
    Hard to imagine doing a home inspection and disclaiming the appliances (including built-in appliances), down in South Florida we operated built-in appliances and other 'major' appliances (such as slid-in ranges, clothes washers, clothes dryers, etc).

    Guess it all depends on where one came from and what 'everyone else is doing', and not realizing that 'doing more than everyone else is doing' is a good way to set yourself apart from 'everyone else' so that you can build a following and referrals.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Hard to imagine doing a home inspection and disclaiming the appliances (including built-in appliances), down in South Florida we operated built-in appliances and other 'major' appliances (such as slid-in ranges, clothes washers, clothes dryers, etc).

    Guess it all depends on where one came from and what 'everyone else is doing', and not realizing that 'doing more than everyone else is doing' is a good way to set yourself apart from 'everyone else' so that you can build a following and referrals.
    I agree! Heck I just finished an inspection and just in kitchen appliances they had a conservative $25k just in appliances, and this is fairly normal in my area... Not unusual to see 3k dishwashers; 5k-10k stoves, etc....

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Barrington, IL
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    I think it would be useful to publish a "Change List" just so there is no confusion about what has changed. Not everyone is thorough as they could/should be.
    All the more reason to take this opportunity to go through the entire standard both as a refresher and to confirm that your report is covering all the bases.

    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Capistrano Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    Any idea when the new standards will be posted to the ASHI site?

    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

    -----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    Any idea when the new standards will be posted to the ASHI site?
    I don't know but I would think that after this weekends board meeting I might know.

    My SWAG is that it will be in a few weeks or after IW. The majority of the ASHI staff have been working on IW for the past few weeks with just a few working on other day to day issues and business. Also the entire ASHI website is being updated with a new look, features, etc... Might be when that happens.....

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •