Power User Conference


Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: EPA New Rule

  1. #1
    Ron Bibler's Avatar
    Ron Bibler is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Healdsburg Ca
    Posts
    2,499

    Default EPA New Rule

    EPA New Rule “Lead: Renovation, Repair and Painting Program”

    Beginning this month, April 2010, contractors performing renovation, repair and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities, and schools built before 1978 must be certified and must follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination.

    The EPA issued a rule requiring the use of lead-safe practices on April 22, 2008 which is aimed at preventing lead poisoning from risks including common renovation activities like sanding, cutting, and demolition which can create hazardous lead dust and chips by disturbing lead-based paint that can be harmful to adults and children.

    After April 22, 2010, federal law will require you to be certified and to use lead-safe work practices. To become certified, renovation contractors must submit an application and fee payment to EPA. Contractors will need to take training with a provider that has been accredited by EPA to provide training for renovators under EPA's Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Program. If you previously completed an eligible renovation training course you may take the 4-hour refresher course instead of the 8-hour initial course from an accredited training provider to become a certified renovator.

    Information for contractors can be found on the following link: Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA

    Contractors and training providers working in Wisconsin, Iowa, North Carolina or Mississippi must contact the state to find out more about its training and certification requirements. These states are authorized to administer their own RRP programs in lieu of the federal program.

    Visit the U.S. Environment Protection Agency website for more information

    I got this in an email.

    Best

    Ron

    Similar Threads:
    Inspector Lab

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,217

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    Failure to follow the new rules can result in a fine of $32,500 per day so take these new rules seriously.

    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,786

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    Won't affect me as an HI, but will affect the water intrusion side of the business as I'll be limited to opening at total of less than 6 sq/ft of interior walls or ceilings at pre '79 properties during investigations.

    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,834

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    While the guidelines are somewhat unclear and do not specify or endorse any particular method or source of dust extraction. (This has been discussed extensively on another forum). If you take legitimate measures and have a proper vacuum you should be fine.
    If you need a Vac that will comply, consider the Festool CT's, Fein Turbo's, Nilfisk or Alto models. All great vacs, prices but worth it. I have the 1st two in the list.

    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

  5. #5
    Marc Brammer's Avatar
    Marc Brammer Guest

    Post Re: EPA New Rule

    The deadline has just been extended, enforcement will not start until Oct 1st. 2010. I am currently looking for a class in El paso or nearby.


  6. #6
    chris mcintyre's Avatar
    chris mcintyre Guest

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brammer View Post
    The deadline has just been extended, enforcement will not start until Oct 1st. 2010. I am currently looking for a class in El paso or nearby.
    Thanks for the heads up Marc, this is the first I have heard of the extension.

    It wasn't easy to find on the EPA site (not that I didn't believe you ) but it is there.
    http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/giles_RRP_memo.pdf


  7. #7
    Door Guy's Avatar
    Door Guy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Marc, this is the first I have heard of the extension.

    It wasn't easy to find on the EPA site (not that I didn't believe you ) but it is there.
    http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/giles_RRP_memo.pdf
    Wow Chris, how deep did you dig for that! Nice work, I was not aware of the change until now either. So yes, thanks Marc.

    Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rocky Mountains of Boulder, CO
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    InterNACHI's free, online Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) course as been submitted to the EPA, but we await approval.

    This course was developed to train inspectors and renovation, repair, and painting contractors how to work safely in housing with lead-based paint and comply with EPA’s Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Rule, and HUD’s Lead Safe Housing Rule.

    And, in keeping with InterNACHI's commitment to Continuing Education, this online course is currently open and free to everyone in the world, and can be taken again and again, without limit.

    "Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP)" course - InterNACHI

    Last edited by Benjamin Gromicko; 07-03-2010 at 01:16 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,095

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Gromicko View Post
    free, online Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) course as been submitted to the EPA, but we await approval.


    WE?!? Are YOU here as an official spokesperson or representative for "the organization"? Hmmmm.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rocky Mountains of Boulder, CO
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    WE?!? Are YOU here as an official spokesperson or representative for "the organization"? Hmmmm.
    I'm the Director of Online Education for InterNACHI, and have written/developed/produced most of the online courses. I am also Executive Producer for NACHI.TV. I am not an employee of InterNACHI or NACHI.TV. I am a volunteer. Property inspector. And die-hard Steeler fan.

    The EPA is forcing contractors to take a training course.
    Courses are very expensive, might range from $300-$700.
    Wouldn't it be great if there were an EPA-approved course for free and open to all?

    Once approved by the EPA, InterNACHI's course will meet the EPA's requirements and will also be FREE.
    "Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP)" course - InterNACHI
    (You may log in right now and take the course.)

    Last edited by Benjamin Gromicko; 07-03-2010 at 01:33 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,095

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    Ham and SPAM in the same loaf. Hmmm. Doesn't that make it all just SPAM?


  12. #12
    Bob Barnett's Avatar
    Bob Barnett Guest

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Gromicko View Post
    I'm the Director of Online Education for InterNACHI, and have written/developed/produced most of the online courses. I am also Executive Producer for NACHI.TV. I am not an employee of InterNACHI or NACHI.TV. I am a volunteer. Property inspector. And die-hard Steeler fan.

    The EPA is forcing contractors to take a training course.
    Courses are very expensive, might range from $300-$700.
    Wouldn't it be great if there were an EPA-approved course for free and open to all?

    Once approved by the EPA, InterNACHI's course will meet the EPA's requirements and will also be FREE.
    "Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP)" course - InterNACHI
    (You may log in right now and take the course.)
    Lets spam the crap out of the place in hopes to make a few more bucks huh? Hey why not get more to join your lovely ... what ever it is.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rocky Mountains of Boulder, CO
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barnett View Post
    Lets spam the crap out of the place in hopes to make a few more bucks huh? Hey why not get more to join your lovely ... what ever it is.
    Bob,
    I do apologize if you think I'm spamming. That's not my intention. You're taking it the wrong way.

    I'm very passionate about developing online training for property inspectors.
    I guess I'm under a false sense that everyone else is too. Oh, well. (Guilty by association?)

    About the EPA Rule:

    1 square centimeter paint chip is the amount of lead-based paint it takes to poison a child if it were ground and spread over a room. In comparison, a US postal stamp might be 2cm by 2cm. The thickness of a CD case is about 1 cm. 1 square cm is very small indeed. I wonder if I've ever disturbed 1 sq cm of lead-based paint during an inspection... Hmm...

    So, here's a question for ya'll:

    Which of the following statements are CORRECT regarding reasons lead-contaminated dust and debris are a problem?
    • A. Lead contaminated dust is difficult to see on a floor even after it has been cleaned.
    • B. Children may swallow or inhale dust on their hands, toys, or food.
    • C. Dust that is not properly cleaned up can be easily tracked around inside and outside the work area.
    • D. All of the above.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St. George, UT
    Posts
    212

    Default Re: EPA New Rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Gromicko View Post
    InterNACHI's free, online Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) course as been submitted to the EPA, but we await approval.

    This course was developed to train inspectors and renovation, repair, and painting contractors how to work safely in housing with lead-based paint and comply with EPA’s Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Rule, and HUD’s Lead Safe Housing Rule.

    And, in keeping with InterNACHI's commitment to Continuing Education, this online course is currently open and free to everyone in the world, and can be taken again and again, without limit.

    "Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP)" course - InterNACHI
    I thank you for developing this course and I hope to see it approved.

    I am also an Insulation Contractor and I have been inundated with those that have seen $$$ because of the Lead Paint Rule and offer the Mandatory Course for inflated prices. I just love it when our wonderful government puts out these unfunded mandates. Don't be too surprised if someone making big bucks of of these courses pads the pocket of some EPA dink and will turn down your on-line course. Frankly IMO most on-line courses are more comprehensive than those taught in a live classroom setting.

    good luck for aproval...Side Note on the EPA:
    My Dad was in the oil business (independent refiner), back in the early 80s they needed to expand or go broke. They did all the studies, paid all the fees turned in the almost endless EPA paperwork. Built the expanded refinery, added about 20-30 good paying jobs.... finally after 2 years the EPA gave them the approval to start the work for expansion...

    Last edited by Larry Morrison; 07-20-2010 at 06:48 AM. Reason: clarification

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •