Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Shelby NC
    Posts
    129

    Default How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    How many of you point out the attic voids in the area of showers as a fire hazard. I know they are a void in the insulation envelope, but they can also serve as a chimney and increase the rate of fire spread should there be a breach in the wall that forms the vertical shaft.

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by ren ramsey View Post
    How many of you point out the attic voids in the area of showers as a fire hazard. I know they are a void in the insulation envelope, but they can also serve as a chimney and increase the rate of fire spread should there be a breach in the wall that forms the vertical shaft.
    Yep, it is in my report if I find it! Very common in homes that have fireplaces with metal flues, interior attic air returns and interior wall closets with dead spaces behind the drywall.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bennett (Denver metro), Colorado
    Posts
    1,394

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    Hmmm, I never mention them as a defect. Why are they a fire hazard?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,546

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    A fire stop is required these days to slow the spread of a fire. It is a recommended upgrade for an old house.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bennett (Denver metro), Colorado
    Posts
    1,394

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    A fire stop is required these days to slow the spread of a fire. It is a recommended upgrade for an old house.
    I believe fire stop is only required where a chimney flue passes through a floor but I don't see anything about fire stop at the ceiling into an attic.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    Check R602.8 IRC 2003
    Fireblocking required.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,828

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    that is also in my reports as a child hazard area. I don't want a phone call from some owner describing how they found their dead kid in that hole and it wasn't in my report
    and if that sounds way over to you, why is attic fan childproofing required?


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    that is also in my reports as a child hazard area. I don't want a phone call from some owner describing how they found their dead kid in that hole and it wasn't in my report
    and if that sounds way over to you, why is attic fan childproofing required?
    What is your source for the attic fan childproofing requirement?

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I believe fire stop is only required where a chimney flue passes through a floor but I don't see anything about fire stop at the ceiling into an attic.
    It does act as a fire stop but also it is an energy thing.

    The cold/hot air from the attic travels down into the void that has non insulated drywall and then it is transmitted to the adjoining living area.

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bennett (Denver metro), Colorado
    Posts
    1,394

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Check R602.8 IRC 2003
    Fireblocking required.
    Thanks.

    Fireblocking is defined as building materials installed to resist the free
    passage of flame to other areas of the building through concealed spaces.
    Section R602.8 R602.8.1.2 of the 2003 IRC require fireblocking to cut off
    all concealed draft openings (both vertical and horizontal) and to form an
    effective fire barrier between stories, and between a top story and the roof
    space.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bennett (Denver metro), Colorado
    Posts
    1,394

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    that is also in my reports as a child hazard area. I don't want a phone call from some owner describing how they found their dead kid in that hole and it wasn't in my report
    and if that sounds way over to you, why is attic fan childproofing required?
    I frequently see openings or voids or whatever you want to call them frequently, Usually in newer construction. They often are just dead space closed off. Apparently, the architect had some leftover space that he/she couldn't figure out what to use it for.

    I have never seen any kind of child proofing on a whole house fan, and I see a lot of them. North America is a big place with lots of people, and I am sure that somewhere, sometime, some kid stuck his hand in a fan, but I didn't know code was addressing this problem.


  12. #12
    Bob Spermo's Avatar
    Bob Spermo Guest

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    I point them out because I conduct a visual energy "audit" during my home inspections. I also point out such things as a lack of an air barrier on an attic knee wall or a lack of insulation/gasket on attic accesses within the thermal boundary.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Osceola, AR
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Thanks.

    Fireblocking is defined as building materials installed to resist the free
    passage of flame to other areas of the building through concealed spaces.
    Section R602.8 R602.8.1.2 of the 2003 IRC require fireblocking to cut off
    all concealed draft openings (both vertical and horizontal) and to form an
    effective fire barrier between stories, and between a top story and the roof
    space.
    R602.8 Fireblocking required. Fireblocking shall be provided
    to cut off all concealed draft openings (both vertical and horizontal)
    and to form an effective fire barrier between stories, and
    between a top story and the roof space.
    Fireblocking shall be
    provided in wood-frame construction in the following locations.
    1. In concealed spaces of stud walls and partitions, including
    furred spaces and parallel rows of studs or staggered
    studs; as follows:

    1.1. Vertically at the ceiling and floor levels.
    1.2. Horizontally at intervals not exceeding 10 feet
    (3048 mm).
    2. At all interconnections between concealed vertical and
    horizontal spaces such as occur at soffits, drop ceilings
    and cove ceilings.

    3. In concealed spaces between stair stringers at the top and
    bottom of the run. Enclosed spaces under stairs shall
    comply with Section R311.2.2.
    4. At openings around vents, pipes, ducts, cables and wires
    at ceiling and floor level, with an approved material to
    resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion.

    5. For the fireblocking of chimneys and fireplaces, see Section
    RI003.19.
    6. Fireblocking of cornices of a two-family dwelling is
    required at the line of dwelling unit separation.

    A more complete version of the code section concerning fireblocking . .

    Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,244

    Default Re: How many point out voids in attic ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    R602.8 Fireblocking required. Fireblocking shall be provided
    to cut off all concealed draft openings (both vertical and horizontal)
    and to form an effective fire barrier between stories, and
    between a top story and the roof space.
    Fireblocking shall be
    provided in wood-frame construction in the following locations.
    1. In concealed spaces of stud walls and partitions, including
    furred spaces and parallel rows of studs or staggered
    studs; as follows:

    1.1. Vertically at the ceiling and floor levels.
    1.2. Horizontally at intervals not exceeding 10 feet
    (3048 mm).
    2. At all interconnections between concealed vertical and
    horizontal spaces such as occur at soffits, drop ceilings
    and cove ceilings.

    3. In concealed spaces between stair stringers at the top and
    bottom of the run. Enclosed spaces under stairs shall
    comply with Section R311.2.2.
    4. At openings around vents, pipes, ducts, cables and wires
    at ceiling and floor level, with an approved material to
    resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion.

    5. For the fireblocking of chimneys and fireplaces, see Section
    RI003.19.
    6. Fireblocking of cornices of a two-family dwelling is
    required at the line of dwelling unit separation.

    A more complete version of the code section concerning fireblocking . .
    Alton,

    The one most contractor miss, and are totally unaware of, is 1.2.

    The others, they just don't understand what needs to be done to meet the requirements of the code.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •