Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    McKinney Texas
    Posts
    495

    Default ATTIC DOOR ACCESS PHOTO

    The short door in the photo is the attic access door where two HVAC units are located inside that attic space. The interior decisions of the opening is 24 inches by 36 inches. The HVAC filters are located inside the HVAC so the home owner must crawl through access the attic to change the HVAC filters. I am 6'2" and it was hard enough for me to get through it. Makes me wonder how some larger homeowners or homeowners with limited abilities could get through this opening. I am not aware of any requirement for a full size walk-in door and as long as the HVAC or other mechanical equipment will fit through the opening, then it appears to be a legal size attic access.Just thought I would share. BTW, the other closed full-size door in the left side of the photo, is a IMG_2219.JPGcloset.

    Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

  2. #2

    Default Re: ATTIC DOOR ACCESS PHOTO

    The basic requirements for access to HVAC/mechanical equipment in attics:

    • 30X22 min. opening - or big enough to allow appliance removal
    • appliance 20 feet max distance from opening
    • walking board (cat walk) to appliance (not required if can be accessed or serviced at the opening)
    • light near appliance, switch at access opening

    It sounds like you've got most or all in the scenario you described. Maybe not ideal, but it meets the need.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    The short door in the photo is the attic access door where two HVAC units are located inside that attic space. The interior decisions of the opening is 24 inches by 36 inches. The HVAC filters are located inside the HVAC so the home owner must crawl through access the attic to change the HVAC filters. I am 6'2" and it was hard enough for me to get through it. Makes me wonder how some larger homeowners or homeowners with limited abilities could get through this opening. I am not aware of any requirement for a full size walk-in door and as long as the HVAC or other mechanical equipment will fit through the opening, then it appears to be a legal size attic access.Just thought I would share. BTW, the other closed full-size door in the left side of the photo, is a IMG_2219.JPGcloset.


    Nitty Gritty Inspections, LLC, Tim Kaiser
    Home and small commercial inspections for Central Oregon
    http://nittygrittyinspections.com/index.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    2,721

    Default Re: ATTIC DOOR ACCESS PHOTO

    Nothing to prevent mentioning that it may be difficult to enter.

    Department of Redundancy Department
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,854

    Default Re: ATTIC DOOR ACCESS PHOTO

    Quote Originally Posted by tkaiser1 View Post
    • walking board (cat walk) to appliance (not required if can be accessed or serviced at the opening)
    The floor, not just a "walking board" as minimum requirements for width and type, with 'type' being as required for all floors.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    McKinney Texas
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: ATTIC DOOR ACCESS PHOTO

    Hi Tim, thanks and yes I agree in this house the opening meets the requirements. i was just commenting on how easy it would have been to install a taller door at this spot. Sometimes the framing or design prevent a full size door however in this house there was nothing to prevent a taller door. Just making a general comment, nothing more. The home owner was having difficulty entering the attic.



    Quote Originally Posted by tkaiser1 View Post
    The basic requirements for access to HVAC/mechanical equipment in attics:

    • 30X22 min. opening - or big enough to allow appliance removal
    • appliance 20 feet max distance from opening
    • walking board (cat walk) to appliance (not required if can be accessed or serviced at the opening)
    • light near appliance, switch at access opening

    It sounds like you've got most or all in the scenario you described. Maybe not ideal, but it meets the need.



  6. #6

    Default Re: ATTIC DOOR ACCESS PHOTO

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Hi Tim, thanks and yes I agree in this house the opening meets the requirements. i was just commenting on how easy it would have been to install a taller door at this spot. Sometimes the framing or design prevent a full size door however in this house there was nothing to prevent a taller door. Just making a general comment, nothing more. The home owner was having difficulty entering the attic.
    Yeah, makes you wonder sometimes - WHY??

    Nitty Gritty Inspections, LLC, Tim Kaiser
    Home and small commercial inspections for Central Oregon
    http://nittygrittyinspections.com/index.html

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •