Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Painting New Stucco

    Why on Earth do you think that a builder would paint new stucco?

    Jeez!

    Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,828

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    Because some woman told him to and was willing to pay him to do it. Even after her told her it was a bad idea.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    What's up with the misogny, wayne, could've easily been a male general superintendent, what, did momma do some mean things to you?

    I'm a dyslexic agnostic-Don't believe there is a dog...

  4. #4
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    Quote Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
    What's up with the misogny, wayne, could've easily been a male general superintendent, what, did momma do some mean things to you?
    JC: The Devil made him do it. That is true of both Wayne and this builder.


  5. #5
    Ted Menelly's Avatar
    Ted Menelly Guest

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    Don't make me look up another word. I have not used that word in 20 to 30 years.


    (Adult / Slang)

    misogny: hatred of women, by either women or men.

    QUOTES:
    (1) Rockland (John Wayne) in Tall in the Saddle (1944): ' I never feel sorry for anything that happens to a woman
    (2) ' People ask me how many children I have and I say one boy and seven mistakes.' Muhammed Ali quoted in Tama Starr's The "Natural Inferiority" of Women (1991)
    (3) Groucho Marx: ' Women should be obscene and not heard.' The full quote, from his 1941 interview with Marjorie White (From the video Gabe Kaplan as Groucho (1982)): 'As far as I'm concerned women should be obscene and not heard.' As far as I'm concerned women should be obscene and not heard. A similar opinion is expressed by Phil Silvers as movie mogul W.B. Warkoff in The Happy Hooker Goes to Holywood(1980): ' I think women should be felt and not heard.'
    (4) Zeke (Tully Marshall) to Breck Coleman (John Wayne) in The Big Trail (1931): ' Well, you can never tell how a womanfeels by the way she acts. They're's all riddles all of 'em. And you just gotta guess 'em. And no matter which way you guess, you're wrong.'
    (5) Jim Bridger (Tully Marshall) about Felice (Lily Damita) making eyes at Clint Belmet (Gary Cooper) in Fighting Caravans (1931): ' Look at her! A-wiggling and a-pouting and a-butting up with that rubber mouth of hers just like a snake putting a spell on a bird
    (6) John Driscoll (Bruce Cabot) to Ann Darrow (Fay Wray) in King Kong (1933): ' You're alright but women just can't help being a bother. Made that way I guess.'
    (7) Cleopatra (Claudette Colbert) and Marc Anthony (Henry Wilcoxon) in Cleopatra (1934):
    -- Cleopatra: ' What's this? Anthony hates women too? '
    -- Marc Anthoiny: ' Out of their place I do. They've no place amongst men. They can't think and they can't fight. They're just playthings for us.'
    (8) Peter Warne (Clark Gable) to Ellie's (Claudette Colbert) father Alexander Andrews (Walter Connelly) in It Happened One Night (1934): ' What she needs is a guy who'd take a sock at her once a day whether she deserves it or not.'
    (9) Old Atrocity (Walter Brennan) speaking of Mary Rutledge/Swan (Miriam Hopkins) in Barbary Coast (1935): ' She can be the orneriest critter! '
    (10) James Carmichael (Joel McCrea) plying roulette against Mary


  6. #6
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    Ted:

    I am a bit confused by your last post. So then, which are you purporting?

    Are you a:

    1. Monastic? That would be a Stetson-clad monk.

    2. Bigot? That's like spigot which dispenses #2, and not #1.

    3. Sexist? Yes, we know that you exist, but without women?

    4. Woman-hater? Similar to No. 1 above. Phobic of women in Stetsons.

    5. Celibataire? This one's a combination of Charisse (Cyd) and Astaire (Fred). She was able to do everything Fred did, only backward and in high heels.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    I am doing some research on paint proposed for their building and came across this in one of the specification sheets on it:

    Advantages:
    Apply directly to fresh concrete (less than 28 days old)
    Can be applied over high pH (up to 13) substrates

    I might add, though, that it stated the concrete much have cured at least 7 days.

    Thus, depending on the coating, it might not have been a big deal in applying that paint to the new stucco.

    Of course, you also did not define "new stucco" as to its age: 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 4 days, a week (many paint coatings may be applied at about 7 days), ...


    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Holladay, UT
    Posts
    565

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    You also have to be sure that the paint is suitable for apllication over stucco. If you do not use a permeable paint you will trap moisture behind stucco and create a large problem.

    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah

  9. #9
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I am doing some research on paint proposed for their building and came across this in one of the specification sheets on it:

    Advantages:
    Apply directly to fresh concrete (less than 28 days old)
    Can be applied over high pH (up to 13) substrates

    I might add, though, that it stated the concrete much have cured at least 7 days.

    Thus, depending on the coating, it might not have been a big deal in applying that paint to the new stucco.


    Of course, you also did not define "new stucco" as to its age: 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 4 days, a week (many paint coatings may be applied at about 7 days), ...
    JP:

    Stucco Frequently Asked Questions - Painting Stucco

    This had been painted with exterior acrylic latex.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JP:

    Stucco Frequently Asked Questions - Painting Stucco

    This had been painted with exterior acrylic latex.

    From that link: (underlining is mine)

    Q: Can I paint stucco to get the color I want?
    A: Stucco can be painted. Portland cement-based paints are very compatible with stucco because they are made of the same material. These paints should be scrubbed into the surface and fully cured. Alternatively, you could consider a colored stucco finish. These finish coats are often made with white cement and pigments, providing the widest range of colors. Premixed materials are color matched from batch to batch and are most consistent. Additionally, the fact that you are placing a finish coat with a nominal thickness of 1/8 in. instead of a paint layer usually gives more assurance of complete coverage. It is possible to paint with other types of paint, though these are usually not as long lasting as cement-based paint. Acrylic paints are long lasting and durable but change the permeability of the stucco (make it non-breathable) which in some climates may have adverse effects on the long-term performance of the system.

    I wonder why the Portland Cement Association is pushing portland cement based paints and trying to discount the use of other paints? Could it be because they are the ... well ... "Portland Cement Association"?

    The last statement is incorrect to the degree that it depends on the paint used.

    From one of the paints I was researching yesterday:
    - It also provides a highly durable and weather resistant finish to concrete, cement composition panels, concrete block, brick, and stucco.
    This may be applied to a surface with a pH of 6 to 13.
    - Water Vapor Permeance ..... 11.9 perms
    - - Based on ASTM D1653
    - - 1 ct Loxon Coating at 9.4 mils dft,
    - - 14 day cure @ 77°F & 50% RH

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  11. #11
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    I wonder why the Portland Cement Association is pushing portland cement based paints and trying to discount the use of other paints? Could it be because they are the ... well ... "Portland Cement Association"?
    JP: For the same reason all of the paint companies push their cheap crap products - filthy lucer.

    The last statement is incorrect to the degree that it depends on the paint used.
    JP: Based, I assume, solely upon an opinion based upon "facts" provided by the paint manufacturers. I knew this argument was forthcoming from you. In Flahdah, everyone paints their stucco. Between taking potshots at tourists, of course.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,251

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JP: For the same reason all of the paint companies push their cheap crap products - filthy lucer.
    And you would be propagating that information push for what reason?

    JP: Based, I assume, solely upon an opinion based upon "facts" provided by the paint manufacturers.
    From Dr. Joe.

    Read his information - you have his links.

    Clarifying that the "paint" is not "elastomeric", not in this climate anyway.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  13. #13
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    Clarifying that the "paint" is not "elastomeric", not in this climate anyway
    JP: Problem is, once it applied, it is very difficult to ascertain just what its composition is, when it was applied, and by which degree of painter . . .


  14. #14
    A.D. Miller's Avatar
    A.D. Miller Guest

    Default Re: Painting New Stucco

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Don't make me look up another word. I have not used that word in 20 to 30 years.


    (Adult / Slang)

    misogny: hatred of women, by either women or men.

    QUOTES:
    (1) Rockland (John Wayne) in Tall in the Saddle (1944): ' I never feel sorry for anything that happens to a woman
    (2) ' People ask me how many children I have and I say one boy and seven mistakes.' Muhammed Ali quoted in Tama Starr's The "Natural Inferiority" of Women (1991)
    (3) Groucho Marx: ' Women should be obscene and not heard.' The full quote, from his 1941 interview with Marjorie White (From the video Gabe Kaplan as Groucho (1982)): 'As far as I'm concerned women should be obscene and not heard.' As far as I'm concerned women should be obscene and not heard. A similar opinion is expressed by Phil Silvers as movie mogul W.B. Warkoff in The Happy Hooker Goes to Holywood(1980): ' I think women should be felt and not heard.'
    (4) Zeke (Tully Marshall) to Breck Coleman (John Wayne) in The Big Trail (1931): ' Well, you can never tell how a womanfeels by the way she acts. They're's all riddles all of 'em. And you just gotta guess 'em. And no matter which way you guess, you're wrong.'
    (5) Jim Bridger (Tully Marshall) about Felice (Lily Damita) making eyes at Clint Belmet (Gary Cooper) in Fighting Caravans (1931): ' Look at her! A-wiggling and a-pouting and a-butting up with that rubber mouth of hers just like a snake putting a spell on a bird
    (6) John Driscoll (Bruce Cabot) to Ann Darrow (Fay Wray) in King Kong (1933): ' You're alright but women just can't help being a bother. Made that way I guess.'
    (7) Cleopatra (Claudette Colbert) and Marc Anthony (Henry Wilcoxon) in Cleopatra (1934):
    -- Cleopatra: ' What's this? Anthony hates women too? '
    -- Marc Anthoiny: ' Out of their place I do. They've no place amongst men. They can't think and they can't fight. They're just playthings for us.'
    (8) Peter Warne (Clark Gable) to Ellie's (Claudette Colbert) father Alexander Andrews (Walter Connelly) in It Happened One Night (1934): ' What she needs is a guy who'd take a sock at her once a day whether she deserves it or not.'
    (9) Old Atrocity (Walter Brennan) speaking of Mary Rutledge/Swan (Miriam Hopkins) in Barbary Coast (1935): ' She can be the orneriest critter! '
    (10) James Carmichael (Joel McCrea) plying roulette against Mary
    Ted: You will like this.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •