Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    brianmiller's Avatar
    brianmiller Guest

    Default Stucco to Stone Interface

    Is stucco allowed to contact stone?

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    NHIE Practice Exam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Stucco to Stone Interface

    Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    Is stucco allowed to contact stone?
    Assuming there is a continuous weather-resistive barrier and basecoat behind the stucco and manufactured stone this is not a problem. Although the stone sill should slope for drainage. Caulking the joints between the stucco and stone would not be a bad idea either.


  3. #3
    brianmiller's Avatar
    brianmiller Guest

    Default Re: Stucco to Stone Interface

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    Assuming there is a continuous weather-resistive barrier and basecoat behind the stucco and manufactured stone this is not a problem. Although the stone sill should slope for drainage. Caulking the joints between the stucco and stone would not be a bad idea either.
    Thanks, Mark...I would had thought some clearance would had been required but I never see any clearances. I'd also think there should be clearances from the concrete flatwork or above roof covering.

    Another question: A couple of contractors have started to use metal flashing above the top horizontal stucco casement trim for windows. Most around here don't. Is it a requirement for the metal flashing? The picture I uploaded is without a metal flashing, typical around here.

    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

  4. #4
    Darrel Hood's Avatar
    Darrel Hood Guest

    Default Re: Stucco to Stone Interface

    In your photos of the stucco to flatwork and stucco to roof covering, I see no escape route for moisture behind the stucco. That can cause pretty serious damage.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Stucco to Stone Interface

    Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    Thanks, Mark...I would had thought some clearance would had been required but I never see any clearances. I'd also think there should be clearances from the concrete flatwork or above roof covering.

    Another question: A couple of contractors have started to use metal flashing above the top horizontal stucco casement trim for windows. Most around here don't. Is it a requirement for the metal flashing? The picture I uploaded is without a metal flashing, typical around here.
    Stucco should terminate two inches above concrete flatwork and two inches above a roof. There should be head flashing above windows. There was an exception in the BOCA, CABO, or early IRC (I forget which one(s)) that head flashing was not required for "self-flashing" windows. That is not the actual wording, but the code referred to integral flanges of a certain width. I believe all windows now require head flashing. Flashing would not be required above the stucco trim bands, but the top edge should be sloped.

    Regarding stucco, except for installation performed in the past several years just about everything I see that is typical is also wrong. Much of it had been wrong for years.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    rockport texas
    Posts
    132

    Default Re: Stucco to Stone Interface

    The windows require isolation joints. Manufactured stone is considered to be the same as the top coat of three coat stucco (same rules apply) no sealant needed. Where the conduit penetrates the clading isolation joint needed. Around here that's one of the major problems that is contributing to moisture intrusion into the building envelope.


  7. #7
    DavidSmith's Avatar
    DavidSmith Guest

    Default Re: Stucco to Stone Interface

    Do you have specs showing where the isolation criteria are needed?

    Thanks,

    David

    Quote Originally Posted by stanley frost View Post
    The windows require isolation joints. Manufactured stone is considered to be the same as the top coat of three coat stucco (same rules apply) no sealant needed. Where the conduit penetrates the clading isolation joint needed. Around here that's one of the major problems that is contributing to moisture intrusion into the building envelope.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •