Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default I can see a shadow of the stud behind the drywall.

    Hello all,

    Not sure if you can see the pic well. While doing my inspection I noticed I could see a shadow of the 2x4s behind the drywall.

    Is this an indication of a problem?

    What would cause this?

    Could it be a moisture issue behind the drywall?

    Thank you for your help!

    Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral SOC

  2. #2
    Richard Soundy's Avatar
    Richard Soundy Guest

    Default Re: I can see a shadow of the stud behind the drywall.

    This is known as "ghosting". It is basically a build up of dust and soot that clings to the walls/ceilings due to static flow via the studs. It is not a problem, just a reminder to keep your home and air clean!

    All the best - Richard


  3. #3
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default Re: I can see a shadow of the stud behind the drywall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Soundy View Post
    This is known as "ghosting". It is basically a build up of dust and soot that clings to the walls/ceilings due to static flow via the studs. It is not a problem, just a reminder to keep your home and air clean!

    All the best - Richard
    Never heard of that. Thank you I learned something today!

    mk


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: I can see a shadow of the stud behind the drywall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krueger View Post
    Hello all,

    Not sure if you can see the pic well. While doing my inspection I noticed I could see a shadow of the 2x4s behind the drywall.

    Is this an indication of a problem?

    What would cause this?

    Could it be a moisture issue behind the drywall?

    Thank you for your help!
    Yep, it could and likely is under, behind and within the wall cavity.

    Condensation, lack of a thermal break, lack of a membrane at wall plate, moisture wicking, infiltration, etc. are all possiblities in the Wisconsin full basement exterior wall shown with stud "ghosting" full height of the wall.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: I can see a shadow of the stud behind the drywall.

    Sure would check with a moisture meter first might indicate the need for thermal imaging. Looks like a finished basement.

    Thomas W. McKay
    ASHI Certified Inspector


  6. #6
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default Re: I can see a shadow of the stud behind the drywall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McKay View Post
    Sure would check with a moisture meter first might indicate the need for thermal imaging. Looks like a finished basement.

    Thomas W. McKay
    ASHI Certified Inspector

    Yes this is a finished basement.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: I can see a shadow of the stud behind the drywall.

    FYI: Check this document from Building Journal Digest. It may answer your question. I had a inspection of a house last winter that had an unvented gas log appliance that was pouring soot into the house. The lady of the house also loved burning candles. There were dark stripes and patches all over the walls and ceilings. I've also seen discussions about this subject at other times on this site. I just had to find out what was causing it and a web search came up with this document.

    BSD-150: Black Stains on Carpets and Ghosting of Framing — Building Science Information

    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

  8. #8
    Andy Jarchow's Avatar
    Andy Jarchow Guest

    Default Re: I can see a shadow of the stud behind the drywall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    FYI: Check this document from Building Journal Digest. It may answer your question. I had a inspection of a house last winter that had an unvented gas log appliance that was pouring soot into the house. The lady of the house also loved burning candles. There were dark stripes and patches all over the walls and ceilings. I've also seen discussions about this subject at other times on this site. I just had to find out what was causing it and a web search came up with this document.

    BSD-150: Black Stains on Carpets and Ghosting of Framing — Building Science Information
    Interesting

    I guess the best thing to do is check the area with a moisture meter and if it appears dry in the wall it would be safe to assume itís soot.

    Thank you all!

    mk




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •