Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    am350z's Avatar
    am350z Guest

    Default Inspection recommendations

    I am gratefully for the wealth of information provided on this forum and others. I am asking for the help of anyone who cares! I appreciate time you would give to a newbie. I hope I have "payed it forward" on other forums providing medical and home theater knowledge and you will be so kind to help me.

    We have a very impressive detailed home inspection but not sure what to do with many things. Can you please help? Here are some items

    1. Electrical wire oxidation, wire double taps, overheated wiring and breakers. Plan to have electrician check out the house. How far should I go with the whole chinese drywall business. House is in houston and was remodeled in 2005.

    2. No palm bracing, H clips and hip rafters not braced per standards today. Some sagging of roof at front attic.

    3. Living room ceiling is sagging and small area of floor slopping in up stairs. The remodeling company is coming to check it out. Should I hire a structural engineer?

    4. Living room ceiling water stain. How do you check if or where the leak is without ripping out the entire sheetrock?

    5. No damper stop on flue damper. No log lighter pipe.

    6. No gas sediment traps. I understand the concept after doing some reading but how crucial is this?

    Again I really appreciate any help. Besides the above the house is amazing and we would love to not have to walk away.

    Similar Threads:
    2018 ASHI InspectionWorld

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,549

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Me first? Others will chime in. We need to know the age of the house, it sounds to be older. Older than 50 years, you could be dealing with plaster on the ceiling and walls.

    Yes, the electrical panel sounds like it needs repair. Be prepared to change up to a new distribution panel and possibly new service. Could you give us the size, amperage of the service and the home square footage?

    Re: the water stain, Older homes have stains, but the leak may have been fixed. An inspector can use a moisture meter to see if the stain is an active leak. Infrared imagery can tell you a lot about what's behind the surface. Somebody here knows an inspector you can call.

    We need pictures of the sagging roof to comment further. Ditto the sagging floor. What's under it?

    Look for corrosion on copper wiring at outlets in the remodeled areas of the home. That is the simplified answer to your Chinese drywall question.

    Your gas log needs to be checked out by a gas heating technician and repairs are needed for safety. New home and you want it to be safe? Replace whatever is there with a modern cost-efficient and safer unit. You will save $$$ and be safer.

    The sediment traps keep your jets clean. Dirty jets are bad.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  3. #3
    am350z's Avatar
    am350z Guest

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    The house was built in 1991 but completely remodeled in 2005 to the studs for the entire house. A second floor theater addition was added over an outdoor patio.

    The house is 4100 square feet with pool, spa, outdoor kitchen and a/c garage it that helps with electrical. There are two Square D brand 200 amp panels in the garage. A GE 50 amp subpanel is in the new theater. A Cutler Hammer 60 amp sub panel is located in the exterior equipment bay.

    I can get pictures of the sagging ceiling but it may not be evident in photos. The ceiling is first floor living room. The sagging floor is in a second floor spare bedroom above the kitchen. Kitchen and living room are adjacent, really one large room.

    The inspector did use infrared camera but only noted "Water staining was observed at living room. The cause for the staining should be determined and repairs undertaken, if necessary, to prevent damage" No talk about active or not.

    No gas logs but it is plumbed. I believe it to be a convert wood burning chimney. I will get this checked out.

    The oxidation is only at the electrical panels not the outlets in the home. Not sure if that helps.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,549

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    That helps a great deal. The electrical will need repair for corrosion but it appears that the supply will be adequate and the panel will likely be OK after the repairs are made.
    All still a wild guess without pics.

    If there is no gas log, then I don't know what the gas and damper comments were about. This is a general statement. Gas sediment traps are required on any appliance which operates independently without human supervision, such as furnace or water heater. Fireplace, clothes dryer, no sediment trap required.

    Re; Chinese drywall - I would recommend removing outlet covers throughout the house so that the copper wire ends can be examined for tarnish. Sometimes the drywall labeling is visible in the attic, but they may not have stripped the old ceiling drywall off, so that's not going to be conclusive. There was plenty of the bad drywall around in your area in '05, AFAIK.

    Your inspector should give you more info regarding the water stain. He must have some idea from his IR training.

    Sagging ceiling, big renovations, somebody may have removed a wall that was supporting the ceiling. Look for plans and permits.

    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Spring Hill (Nashville), TN
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by am350z View Post
    I am gratefully for the wealth of information provided on this forum and others. I am asking for the help of anyone who cares! I appreciate time you would give to a newbie. I hope I have "payed it forward" on other forums providing medical and home theater knowledge and you will be so kind to help me.

    We have a very impressive detailed home inspection but not sure what to do with many things. Can you please help? Here are some items

    1. Electrical wire oxidation, wire double taps, overheated wiring and breakers. Plan to have electrician check out the house. How far should I go with the whole chinese drywall business. House is in houston and was remodeled in 2005.
    Does the home have Chinese drywall? If it does then I would walk away.
    Electrical problems need to be corrected.

    2. No palm bracing, H clips and hip rafters not braced per standards today. Some sagging of roof at front attic.
    I have never head of "palm" bracing? "H" clips are not required. What or how are the hip rafters not braced properly? A "hip" rafter is usually self supporting if built properly.

    3. Living room ceiling is sagging and small area of floor slopping in up stairs. The remodeling company is coming to check it out. Should I hire a structural engineer?
    Was the work permitted when they did the remodel?

    4. Living room ceiling water stain. How do you check if or where the leak is without ripping out the entire sheetrock?
    Best way is to look from the attic. Next best is from the roof itself.

    5. No damper stop on flue damper. No log lighter pipe.
    Not a big deal. Damper locks cost $1. So does it have gas in the fireplace and just no lighter pipe? IF so and if you want it, get a plumber to install it for under $100.


    6. No gas sediment traps. I understand the concept after doing some reading but how crucial is this?
    Call the gas company and see if they are needed in your area. Some areas have dirty gas and they need them, other have very clean gas and do not need them. To be on the safe side they should be installed...


    Again I really appreciate any help. Besides the above the house is amazing and we would love to not have to walk away.
    Love can be blinding....!

    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

  6. #6
    am350z's Avatar
    am350z Guest

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    The building contractor, who is supposedly of good quality, say they can provide documentation regarding the remodel from the manufacture confirming there is no chinese drywall. So that is good. Inspector did not check the outlets for oxidation. Electrician will be coming out. Hopefully it wont be hard to repair/replace oxidized wires and find the cause of overheated breakers and a few outlets. Thoughts?

    I am told the work was permitted. It was a major renovation in a community that is pretty nitpicky. I guess I could call city and find out for sure.

    Regarding sagging ceiling and sloping floor; no walls were removed. We have the pre-construction pictures to confirm. Maybe just settling from good old Texas soil! Should we get a structural engineer to confirm. The foundation checked out okay minus some slacking.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    ventura, ca
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    1. Electrical wire oxidation, wire double taps, overheated wiring and breakers. Plan to have electrician check out the house.
    A comprehensive evaluation for function and safety by a qualified, state licensed electrician. 1991/with signs of overheating circuits - not good!

    How far should I go with the whole chinese drywall business. House is in houston and was remodeled in 2005. If Chinese drywall is prevalent in this area - or suspected in this tract - invasive testing is prudent!

    2. No palm bracing, H clips and hip rafters not braced per standards today. Some sagging of roof at front attic.
    A. Palm bracing is not a typical construction phrase - clarify.
    I assume your roof framing is truss.
    B. H clips not required on 5/8's or better.

    3. Living room ceiling is sagging and small area of floor slopping in up stairs. The remodeling company is coming to check it out. Should I hire a structural engineer?
    A. You definitely want to know why the ceiling is sagging.
    With a written estimate for repair. having been a framer for 30 years
    I don't like the sound of that condition. Not because it means your house
    is falling down but because it sounds costly. I expect ceiling joist crowned
    upside down.
    B. No engineer yet - first check out what the remodeler has to say and bring
    your own contractor buddy along.

    4. Living room ceiling water stain. How do you check if or where the leak is without ripping out the entire sheetrock?
    A. The seller is required to disclose past history.
    B. Is there a bathroom above the stain.


    5. No damper stop on flue damper. No log lighter pipe.
    A. $4. dollars at your home depot.

    6. No gas sediment traps. I understand the concept after doing some reading but how crucial is this?
    A. An absolute must at all required gas appliances.


    Again I really appreciate any help. Besides the above the house is amazing and we would love to not have to walk away.[/quote]


    mf

    Last edited by matt faust; 11-20-2010 at 05:40 PM.
    Matt Faust
    Real Estate Inspector

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    IMHO,

    A house less than 15 years old gutted to the studs was done for a reason not cosmetic.

    * fire

    ** Water damage

    *** WDO

    **** Combination of the above.
    .
    Time to Check the Insurance CLUE Report.
    .

    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    2. No palm bracing, H clips and hip rafters not braced per standards today. Some sagging of roof at front attic.

    B. H clips not required on 5/8's or better.
    Must be a CA thing.... not the case per the IRC.


  10. #10
    am350z's Avatar
    am350z Guest

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    IMHO,

    A house less than 15 years old gutted to the studs was done for a reason not cosmetic.
    .
    Time to Check the Insurance CLUE Report.
    .
    I don't think so. House has no disclosures. The second owner purchased it 5 years ago and the interior was dated and new owner put in extensive high-end updates (like a 150k pool) We have the pictures of the house prior to the updates.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by am350z View Post
    I don't think so. House has no disclosures. The second owner purchased it 5 years ago and the interior was dated and new owner put in extensive high-end updates (like a 150k pool) We have the pictures of the house prior to the updates.
    .
    Check The Clue Report.
    * like a Car fax
    .

    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  12. #12
    am350z's Avatar
    am350z Guest

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    .
    Check The Clue Report.
    * like a Car fax
    .

    Didn't check a CLUE but insurance company says there is no problem insuring the house. I guess they check some sort of report (maybe CLUE?) to determine if there ever was damage that would make them not want to insure the house.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    When was this work completed in 2005?

    2005 was a rough year to be doing voluntary remodeling/construction. Not only was the supply chain disrupted after massive katrina losses...and a horrific 04 season east; the labor forces were disrupted too.

    2005 "Rita" did some damage to your area. There were some flooding issues IIRC - near a dam site. Then there was Ike in 08 IIRC.

    Timing, as they say, could be everything.

    Ask your insurance agent for the CLUE report for the property.


  14. #14
    am350z's Avatar
    am350z Guest

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    When was this work completed in 2005?

    2005 was a rough year to be doing voluntary remodeling/construction. Not only was the supply chain disrupted after massive katrina losses...and a horrific 04 season east; the labor forces were disrupted too.

    2005 "Rita" did some damage to your area. There were some flooding issues IIRC - near a dam site. Then there was Ike in 08 IIRC.

    Timing, as they say, could be everything.

    Ask your insurance agent for the CLUE report for the property.

    Okay guys. CLUE report has nothing.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern, Ca.
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    IMHO,

    A house less than 15 years old gutted to the studs was done for a reason not cosmetic.

    * fire

    ** Water damage

    *** WDO

    **** Combination of the above.
    .
    Time to Check the Insurance CLUE Report.
    .

    I agree with Billy, something is not right for that old of a home


  16. #16
    am350z's Avatar
    am350z Guest

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by David Garton View Post
    I agree with Billy, something is not right for that old of a home
    All I can say is the clue is normal. The seller has more money than he knows what to do with. Most people don't put subzero fridges in the gameroom! He wanted to make the house top notch, including complete home crestron sytem, venetian plaster, steam shower, custom cabinetry, etc, etc. We have picture of prior to remodel, during and after. I have no reason to belive something untoward happened to the house.

    Why is it so unusual to remodel a house? You would have a tough time selling a house 20 years old with updating in the area it is in!


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by am350z View Post
    the house.

    Why is it so unusual to remodel a house? You would have a tough time selling a house 20 years old with updating in the area it is in!
    .
    Pull the Trigger and Move on.
    .

    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  18. #18
    am350z's Avatar
    am350z Guest

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    .
    Pull the Trigger and Move on.
    .

    Yikes!!! Just asking for some advice on the inspection report. You said get a CLUE report, so I did. Sorry your assertation the house had been flooded, burned or eaten was wrong.


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by am350z View Post

    Yikes!!! Just asking for some advice on the inspection report. You said get a CLUE report, so I did. Sorry your assertation the house had been flooded, burned or eaten was wrong.
    .
    If You Feel That this is The Property for you then buy it.

    You've gotten opinions now it's your move./
    .

    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    4,170

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    We tend to be a suspicious lot by nature, usually justifiably so. You asked for opinions. If everything you were told by the seller is true and the inspector on site had no concerns (assuming you used a experienced and competent inspector) then go for it.
    By the way from your dates the house was only 14 years old when there was a total gut, not 20 years old. That is an unusual situation but not unheard of in high end areas.
    My one concern would be oxidation on the wires... and the cause. 2005 is prime time for Chinese drywall and I would look at this VERY CLOSELY. Don't take the contractors or sellers word. Find out the cause for the corrosion and get a second opinion about the drywall from an independent source. If there is or ever was tainted drywall present in the house then every single piece of metal in the home is subject to damage and another complete gut not only of the drywall but electrical, plumbing, hvac, etc. is on the horizon.

    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

  21. #21
    am350z's Avatar
    am350z Guest

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    We tend to be a suspicious lot by nature, usually justifiably so. You asked for opinions. If everything you were told by the seller is true and the inspector on site had no concerns (assuming you used a experienced and competent inspector) then go for it.
    By the way from your dates the house was only 14 years old when there was a total gut, not 20 years old. That is an unusual situation but not unheard of in high end areas.
    My one concern would be oxidation on the wires... and the cause. 2005 is prime time for Chinese drywall and I would look at this VERY CLOSELY. Don't take the contractors or sellers word. Find out the cause for the corrosion and get a second opinion about the drywall from an independent source. If there is or ever was tainted drywall present in the house then every single piece of metal in the home is subject to damage and another complete gut not only of the drywall but electrical, plumbing, hvac, etc. is on the horizon.
    Thanks. Any idea where I can find someone in Texas/Houston that specializes or has experience in Chinese drywall? I talked to my inspector and he just said it could be a cause but couldn't tell for sure and didn't know of who to get to do a more thorough inspection.


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Memphis TN.
    Posts
    4,311

    Default Re: Inspection recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by am350z View Post
    Thanks. Any idea where I can find someone in Texas/Houston that specializes or has experience in Chinese drywall? I talked to my inspector and he just said it could be a cause but couldn't tell for sure and didn't know of who to get to do a more thorough inspection.
    .
    .....
    Chinese Drywall Complaint Center
    .
    .

    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •