Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    105

    Default What year for seperation garage ceiling to living space above? ie firewall

    Trying to figure out the logic with the AHJ. House built in 1990 and bonus room/bedrooms recently finished but never permitted. Permits obtained and CO issued last week.

    Trying to find the logic in the permitting process. There is no separation between garage ceiling and new living space above - insulation exposed (no paper). Some areas are not insulated where attic knee-wall space is located above garage ceiling - so wood sub-floor visible.

    The home owner was required to install CO (& smoke) detectors in new rooms and arc fault breakers. Septic had to be upgraded.

    My thought with not seeing the sheetrock on garage ceiling was that maybe the city judged it as an older addition and applied code at the time of home construction. That does not explain the CO and arc faults. And I thought the sheetrock on the garage ceiling was required all the way back to 1978 or so.

    I've run into this before (lack of sheetrock on ceiling) when folks have finished areas above the garage and they get approval anyway. Any insight as to why?

    Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: What year for separation garage ceiling to living space above? ie firewall

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    Any insight as to why?
    Oversight on the AHJ's part?

    Have you specifically addressed with the AHJ and what did they say?

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: What year for separation garage ceiling to living space above? ie firewall

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Oversight on the AHJ's part?

    Have you specifically addressed with the AHJ and what did they say?
    I have not called them yet but will in the morning. Will post back up after I speak with them.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WESTMINSTER CO
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: What year for seperation garage ceiling to living space above? ie firewall

    RANDALL

    how about some photos

    cvf


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    26,243

    Default Re: What year for separation garage ceiling to living space above? ie firewall

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    I have not called them yet but will in the morning. Will post back up after I speak with them.
    There are times when everyone is subject to not seeing the elephant in the room - I've done it myself, and then wondered how on earth I could have missed seeing it.

    Jerry Peck, Construction / Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC ( www.ConstructionLitigationConsultants.com )
    www.AskCodeMan.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Barrington, IL
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: What year for separation garage ceiling to living space above? ie firewall

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    There are times when everyone is subject to not seeing the elephant in the room - I've done it myself, and then wondered how on earth I could have missed seeing it.
    The other day I was finishing up and went down to make one more check of the basement to be sure lights were off and only then noticed that the water heater had been tagged by the gas utility as unsatisfactory. The burner rollout shield was absent and scorch stains were present over the burner access panel. A MASSIVE oversight on my part. I couldn't believe that I flat out missed it. The positive is that those experiences keep you on your toes. It can be too easy to let your guard down if you don't screw up once in a while.

    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Healdsburg, CA
    Posts
    1,741

    Default Re: What year for seperation garage ceiling to living space above? ie firewall

    Speaking of inspection goofs I was in a hurry one afternoon and used to stopping at a home that had a RE sign in the front yard once I was on the right street and stopped one block short of where I had a scheduled inspection.

    I knocked on the door and a pleasant older lady opened it and I explained who I was and was there to inspect her home. She got all excited and told me she didn't know there was a offer on her home and her agent didn't tell her I was coming to inspect it for a potential buyer. (first clue)

    Since it was a tiny flat roofed home on a slab foundation I wrapped up the inspection in record time and when I got back to the office the boss, (my wife) said the agent who scheduled that afternoon's inspection was frantic because I was a no show. (second clue)

    I immediately called the agent and told her I inspected the home, but she and the buyer was a no-show. (third clue)

    Then the light went on and I explained I was guilty of gross stupidity and would fall on my sword if so ordered?

    My inspection was rescheduled for the next afternoon and all went well.
    Now you know I got a phone call from the old lady about 3 days later wanting to know why she didn't get a copy of my inspection report. No sooner did I confess my sins, apologized profusely and hung up her agent called and wanted to know WTF was going on......!??

    Some days it's better not to get out of bed!

    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: What year for seperation garage ceiling to living space above? ie firewall

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Speaking of inspection goofs I was in a hurry one afternoon and used to stopping at a home that had a RE sign in the front yard once I was on the right street and stopped one block short of where I had a scheduled inspection.

    I knocked on the door and a pleasant older lady opened it and I explained who I was and was there to inspect her home. She got all excited and told me she didn't know there was a offer on her home and her agent didn't tell her I was coming to inspect it for a potential buyer. (first clue)

    Since it was a tiny flat roofed home on a slab foundation I wrapped up the inspection in record time and when I got back to the office the boss, (my wife) said the agent who scheduled that afternoon's inspection was frantic because I was a no show. (second clue)

    I immediately called the agent and told her I inspected the home, but she and the buyer was a no-show. (third clue)

    Then the light went on and I explained I was guilty of gross stupidity and would fall on my sword if so ordered?

    My inspection was rescheduled for the next afternoon and all went well.
    Now you know I got a phone call from the old lady about 3 days later wanting to know why she didn't get a copy of my inspection report. No sooner did I confess my sins, apologized profusely and hung up her agent called and wanted to know WTF was going on......!??

    Some days it's better not to get out of bed!
    I inspected the exterior of the wrong house once. Stuff happens.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: What year for seperation garage ceiling to living space above? ie firewall

    I spoke with the county inspector today and he said they must have just missed it. That is the second one just like that in four months. Glad there is not a loop hole.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •